Virtual Tour : USS Enterprise (1701-D) Deck 1-4 (WIP)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Lee Enfield, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Lee Enfield

Lee Enfield Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just a little update. The pictures are in chronological order.

I was tinkering with the horseshoe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Talos

Talos Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Great update. The horseshoe is looking very nice. Doesn't the base sit flush on the front and back? Right underneath where Worf has his hand here.

http://imgur.com/232IWts
    [​IMG]

I love that view out the empty viewscreen right now. Seeing the corridors and floors really makes it feel like it's a half-built ship back at Utopia Planitia Yards.

3. Lee Enfield

I think it just looks that way in this screenshot. I even went back after your post and looked at the most recent mesh of the horseshoe and its references. But there is a little roundness to it. It's not entirely leveled.
    The fact, that the horseshoe currently doesn't sit tightly on its base is due to the base mesh not being defined enough. Perhaps it it is currently visually misleading.

But... the horseshoe is a headbreaker. Hardest shape on the bridge to rebuilt. Slowest progress of all.

4. Talos

That could definitely be it, the base not being fully defined. The horseshoe really looks quite maddening to model.

5. Lee Enfield

Update

Horseshoe and other stuff. Another update later on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Very nice so far. But why have the images from the OP been removed ?

7. Lee Enfield

You can see the exact same images of the first post in its repost further down on the first page.
    I moved the images from my photobucket account into another folder. Photobucket then changed the img lnks (stupid me).
    I wasn't contacted back by a moderator who could help me technically. Problem is, I dont have the rigthts to edit this post anymore.

8. Lee Enfield

Update

You remember, this one episode, when in tng the terminal exploded on this poor crew man? :shifty:

I present to you : the infamous exploding plasma conduit behind the terminals. And it makes sense, that those terminals explode on various occasions. I probably build a little circuit that connects the observation lounge and the terminal in the back of the bridge with the power circuit. Those things in front of the panel have two purposes. It has a slide function for the chairs and if you want to work on the conduit or the terminals' isolinear acces ( not yet build ) you can sit or lay on it. At least, that's the theory.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aaand ...seems that I have to rebuild the ceiling. That would be the 4th time... Unfortunately I don't have good pictures from the current ceiling. Netherless, these show some progress at other stations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Talos

That's really coming together nicely. I love the detail in the plasma conduits behind the seats. One of the nice things about the TNG blurays is the tracks for the seats are very visible now so you can see just how far they can pull out.

Keep up the good work!

10. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Nice work! I'm correct in assuming these images are still raytraced, and not actually rendered with Crysis 3?

11. Lee Enfield

Yes, it's still raytraced. Cryengine dreams of global illumination like this. I think, nothing works as precise as pre-calculations like that from udk or frostbite.
    CryEngines' dynamic realtime lighting is dynamic and realtime. But generally in a lower/ less precise manner. And CryEngine offers Global Illumination just for the sun light - would be nice if that would be possible for point lights as well some day...

12. Lee Enfield

13. Talos

The modeling work is very clean and looks awesome. I can't wait to start branching off into areas we never saw on the show like deck 2. That short early in the post is such a tease.

14. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

SA-GEN-HAFT! Absolutely impressive and fascinating! :techman::bolian::techman::techman::techman: (just got my head up from my TOS deck plan drafts)

If you check out FalTorPan's website, there seem to be better detailed bridge blueprints in existence.

And Andrew Probert might still have a few things that could be of help. And he probably might have some good ideas what should go into the unseen areas - after all, he is the father of the Enterprise-D (and unless I'm mistaken favors Ed Whitefire's approach). ;)

Weiter so! Keep up this great work!

Bob

15. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

This is truly impressive. And I know that although this is still a WIP, the stark localized lighting is really cool to look at.

16. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Knowing how thorough he tends to be in his work, he probably even worked out a general idea of how the crew head would be to adapt to the needs of non-human crewmembers.

17. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Incredibly well done! I hope to see a walkthrough sometime soon off all the stuff you're building!

18. Lee Enfield

Of course I would appreciate Proberts, Sternbach, Okudas, Whitfires... (or whoever originally worked on the ship) input on the matter. I've read a lot of interviews, they gave, concerning their ideas about the ship, but those are rare. Though their participation in this thread is rather doubtful.

BTW, .. I follow your thread and Donnies very closely and I am impressed by your devotion, as well. Great stuff!
    It's just that I don't have much clue about the TOS age, on that level. Otherwise I already would've congratulated on your stuff!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

little Upadate. I've worked a bit on the ceiling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because I came to the conlusion that I started to fake proportions I saw that the bridge is 1.5 meter too short.
    The next render perhaps shows that it's too short. Just a meter, but I started to noticed the shortcomings (pun intended). I obviously tricked it away here and there... but it got out of hand. Means I will have to to reconfigure the bridge objects. That's gonna take me some time, but it will be correct by then.

[​IMG]

19. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't be surprised but talking about how he worked out a general idea, here is the one for the Enterprise-D he worked out:

[​IMG]

I asked Andrew if I could post the sheet, he said it is okay and also wanted to add a few lines:

"Notice how the deck levels relate to the saucer rim. The reason the decks were placed as they were was to allow for a very thick supporting structure to be incorporated into the base of the saucer rim. You can also see, in the diagram (and call-outs above it) the indication of my Observation Decks."

Bob

20. Lee Enfield

Wow! :techman::wtf::eek::bolian: That's awsome! Thank you very much!
    Don't know what to admire more. This interesting piece of information, or the speed you posted it with.