Eurovision Song Contest 2013 - Malmö

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Eyes, May 12, 2013.

1. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

About he half-time show, or whatever we call it, the sketch about how Swedish people act is pretty much on the spot. Deadly accurate.

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

What was that desperately unfunny 'guide' sketch about? That woman was as funny as lung cancer.

3. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

I presume you're talking about Lynda Woodruff? She's a character created by Swedish singer Sarah Dawn Finer (the one who sang the ABBA cover later in the show).

The original sketch with her is from Melodifestivalen 2012, and that made fun of Azerbaijan hosting and her pretending to be a really dumb Essex girl who was doing things like not being able to pronounce Azer-aza-Aserba.. Baku (that sort of thing). That original sketch was reasonably good, the ones since in other Swedish Eurovision projects have worn the joke a bit thin and have nothing on the original.

The interval act with Petra was great - it's so good to see a host who's actually funny and entertaining, Sweden did really put on a great show.

4. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I didn't enjoy Lynda in the semi-final I saw, but then I laughed more during the final. Maybe it was the help of drink, but I loved her comment about ABBA living in the royal palace.

Petra ruled. She's worn some great dresses as well. :D

5. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Meh, maybe the UK should actually take it slightly more serous then. Ie not having some douchy "comedian" "rip the piss" on every broadcast year after year, not put in no hopers/washed up/never weres as their contestants and give them some good songs, and then maybe, just maybe, they will do a little better. We treat it like a joke and then get upset when the contest treats us the same in return.

Besides, there's always talk that the UK will pull out after every year, wont happen.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Fuck no, if we ever treat it with anything but mild mockery we should pull out!

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Or perhaps, the other countries should learn it is a joke. :p

The question is how many of the winners actually go onto big careers after winning the contest (outside of their own country)?

Who was the last winner to go onto international stardom?

Look at the results of the Big 5, the UK was what 2nd best out of the big 5 and the UK placed 19th.

8. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Maybe.

I dont realy care one way or another, I watch it sometimes, I dont watch it other years. I just find it funny when people in the UK sit around after the show bitching about how much of a joke the entire thing is. We treat it as just a big a joke and yet expect to be treated properly by them.

9. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In Germany it pretty much changed over time. For a long while it was treated totally serious, than for a while it was treated like a joke, for the last few years it was taken rather serious again. But now that Raab is out of the picture and ARD (the German broadcaster) is on its own again they are starting to make the same mistakes again they made before.

10. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Just watched (avoided any spoilers) and Norway was only song that stuck out. But did like Greek entry :).

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I thought she was vaguely amusing but when she sang later I thought she was fantastic (of course having a great song helped). If they hadn't said it was the same woman I'd never have guessed.

I liked Denmark's entry, I thought Azerbaijan and Norway were good too, and a few others. Greece was both hilarious and really catchy. on another night that might have got closer to winning.

I liked Iceland's too...although I did just post Thor! on Facebook when he appeared!

I thought Bonnie did ok, the song wasn't brilliant but wasn't terrible either. It wasn't anything good enough to win, I just get annoyed seeing things like Romania's entry do so well.

Also Holland, could she have been any more depressing?

I felt sorry for Ireland too, I thought their entry deserved to end up much higher. Bad placing?

I kept trying to figure out where the optimum position in the running order was. You don't want to be first or last, or in the middle as near as I can tell!

12. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

Only one song from Denmark to Norway didn't end up in the top 10 - and 4 of the bottom 5 were in the first 5 songs. So going up early is a no no. I think Moldova (the only one of the first 5 not to end up in the bottom 5) could have done a lot better if she was on later.

It's also quite similar to 2009 in that the last two songs to perform both underperformed in the results. So you want to be on late, but not too late (17th-24th are normally the best slots so that fits, although songs that do well are normally more evenly spaced) - and if you're in the middle, going just before that seems to get you a good result. [/geekstats]

I guess by Norway, people had made up their mind about what to vote for and the last two songs suffered. But Ireland flopping so badly after going on last is unusual, in the last 10 years, the song performing last has ended up in the top half 7 times, 3 of those in the top 5.

13. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I thought the winner a little dull.

Really liked Croatia and Norway.

Some songs were just dull. Let's hope next yar not so much.

That said, I quite enjoyed it.

14. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

Romania was brilliant. Some sort of camp wizard singing in falsetto with occasional bursts of dubstep.

Meanwhile in the UK we've no idea what to do, after so many dismal performances, so wheel out old pop stars on a kind of "sure, why not, can't do any worse" basis.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  15. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I've said it before: get Bill Bailey and Brian May to write and perform your next entry.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^What a fantastic idea!

Although personally I'd get Cathy Dennis to write something for the UK!

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't put any money on some of the songs being much better next year.