S.S. Enterprise UEV-47

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by uniderth, Feb 10, 2009.

1. EmperorKalan

EmperorKalan Commander Red Shirt

In the SFC, the Declaration class liners were launched some 14 years after the end of the Romulan War. The ring ship seen as wall art on "Enterprise" obviously predates the show (and, by extension, the RomWar).

I was suggesting they were two completely different types of ships (probably of very different sizes) that bore a superficial resemlance to each other, not a single type adapted to various uses. (Although that possibility exists too.)

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Fair enough, but I was thinking along the lines of the Liner having been around the 2120's to 2140's and larger, with more civilian based facilities. But the war/post war variant being about half the size, more refined and built around the 2160's to 2170's based on the Liner design due to having called up several retired ones for war time logistics use.

3. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I find this design very interesting design. A lot different then usual nacelles we are used too However i like Vulcan ships in Enterprise designed by Doug Drexler much better.. It is obvious Doug got his ideas from S.S. Enterprise UEV-47 but he improved upon them by making the hull larger.
    Why haven't great 3D artiest on this site tried to make their version of 23th or 24th century Starfleet ring nacelles star ships smilier what Drexler did with his Vulcan ring nacelles ships.

4. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    That's a very good idea...

5. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

I'll have to find my notes on the speed of the S.S. Enterprise. I did find a file I did on warps speed charts. I guess I spoke too soon earlier the S.S. Ent is capable of about the same speed as the NX-01. About warp 5.5 (TOS chart) or warp 16 (2140 chart).

I'll post some bits of my Earth - Romulan War story in another thread. The founding members of the Federation will consist of the Humans, Martians, Alpha Centaurians, Vulcans, Tellarites, Andorians, the little gold people from Journey to Babel. The main enemies will be the Romulans(obviously), Reman slaves, and the Romii. THere will probably be others eventually.

Anyway back to the ships. In my story each founding member donated parts to build the Daedalus class.

Spherical Hull - little gold people
    Sphere Pylon - Humans
    Warp Engines - Martians
    Bridge - Alpha Centaurians
    Navigational Deflector - Vulcans
    Impulse Engines - Andorians
    Engineering Hull -Tellarites

6. Praetor

Two questions not related to the UEV-47.

1) Do you mean they literally donated each part, and if so, did they do this for each Daedalus class ship?

2) How will you depict the Romii?

7. Sin87

Sin87 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I don't think they donated as at the very beginning of Star Trek Legacy the fleet commander states that in the last two years (2157-59) Earth has come along way in space development (Because of the NX-01) & that by May of 2159 there's only been 5 Daedalus class' starships launched & at least three of them (USS Bach NCC-174, USS Pilgrim NCC-178 & USS Nightingale NCC-192) are medical ships.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  8. uniderth

I'm planning for it to be sort of like the international space station. But looking at it realistically they would probably only do this for the first couple ships. Until all the construction facilities got tooled up for building the new class. I'm kind of using this to explain why the Daedalus design looks the way it does(aka sphere, stick, metal tank, warp engines).

Currently Romii will be a dark "evil" world. Even the bravest Romulan generals will be afraid of it. But to be honest, I don't know why yet.

I've never played Star Trek Legacy before. In fact just now is my first time looking it up. I'll have to check it out further. But as far as that goes the only "history" I consider authoritative is the Big Four(TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY) and movies 1-10. So any Earth-Romulan War history mentioned in those is what I make sure is in the story. Anything else, I feel, is free game.

Also in my story the Daedalus class will be launched during 2161 as the first starship built by the Federation. Earth would still be using "ringships" as primary vehicles. Martians who got their tech from Mr. Cochrane would still be using linear warp nacelles, as their warp technology was developed differently than Earths.

But anyway about Star Trek Legacy, looks like a cool game. I've never played Star Trek games much. I have a next Generation one that was pretty fun and a dream helped me get past one of the puzzles.

9. Sin87

Well a few notes for you.
    1 - Legacy was scripted so to cover many old references such as how the Borg & Vger are linked, how Picard got his command, the omega particle / directive, 2260's Federation / Klingon War & in TOS there is mention to Earth using nuclear weapons.
    2 - Legacy is canon, though I wouldn't regard a few of the ships as canon when it's clear that they're just been added to the specific era's due to there been a lack of available unit class' to choose from.
    3 - Until around 2200 the United Federation is known as the Confederation from what I can tell.
    4 - Finally you might what to look up http://www.starfleet-museum.org/ as your ideas sound like they could fit into that timeline. Also look up the Comet class there as they were the testbeds for the Daedalus.

10. uniderth

Mhmm. I'll have to look at this game more. I have William Shatner's book "The Return" where it talks about the Borg/V'ger connection.

I wasn't aware that games were considered canon. But of course you have to remember you're talking to a guy who doesn't consider ENT or ST2009 canon. Not counting a game as canon for me isn't that much of a stretch.

I'm not aware of any references for this. If you could show me some that would be great.

Yep I have looked at that website up. It's pretty cool. Lots of good designs. There are some things there I disagree with but it's a very good collection of art. It's be cool if I could set up a site like that with some of my designs.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Ok I'm going to have to ask for proof there, I have never seen anything indicating Legacy was in any way canon.

12. uniderth

Ok some more updates on the model. I've modeled the shell of the hanger bay.

[​IMG]

In this image I put a shuttle that I'm working on just to see how it looks.

[​IMG]

This is one of the shuttlecraft that go with this ship. I'm hoping I can fit six shuttles in here. There will be two Orbit to Surface shuttles(more like shuttlepods), one cargo shuttle, one long range shuttle, one ship to ship(docking) shuttle, and one "exploration" shuttle like the one shown.

EDIT: Now that I see these on a regular monitor instead of my laptop they look pretty dark. I'll turn up the lighting in future images.

13. Sin87

I don't view books & novels as canon because they repeatedly come up with continuity errors, but for games such as this it's hard not to call it canon after all it stars William Shatner, Patrick Stewart, Avery Brooks, Kate Mulgrew, and Scott Bakula.

If you look at the mainstream games (Legacy, Armada & Bridge Commander) you'll notice there dates are designed to work in with the TV & film stories. If that's not enough then the script for Legacy is by D.C. Fontana (That's the canon shot!) and Derek Chester (Never heard of).

From my point of view the only difference between this & the TV / Films is that you get to play the roles & anyway would you argue that a game like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is not canon to Lucas' franchise ?.

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

^Star Trek: Tactical Assault and Encounters both have William Shatner, Starfleet Academy features at least two of the actors doing live action scenes just for the game, Shattered Universe brought back several TOS actors to do voice overs. That does not make them canon.

Anyhoo, those images are great uniderth, I love the shuttle design, interesting idea giving them coil like features too.

15. Praetor

As much as I like 'Legacy,' and despite the fact that Dorothy Fonatan co-wrote it, as a video game, it's part of the body of works considered not-canon.

I really like those updates, uniderth. Very, very nice.

16. Sin87

The way I view this is you get sandbox games like with mobile phones, java or flash games, then you get those games that have stories that play out as if they were an episodic mini-series.

As for Shattered Universe it had a good story, but due to the fact they repeatedly kept going back to TOS episodes I wouldn't say this game's canon. Also the gameplay was terrible.

Back on topic, I congratulate you uniderth for manging to keep the ship feeling like the vessel it's meant to be as I tried building this last night & it just didn't look right.

Here's a nice design aid
    http://www.battleclinic.com/docks/files/images/1/1b1fab9e0cf061e4898cc9c64a524d39.jpg

17. uniderth

Star Wars has a weird system of canon the highest being G Canon. Something like that. I actually don't consider Episods 1,2 and 3 canon for Star Wars. I can't even stand to watch Episode 1, it's kids movie. Yes they did get better as they went along but they are just so horribly done. Anakin is a little whiner. Don't get me wrong there's a lot of good stuff there that could make some good prequels. But there's so much other crap that it detracts from any benefits. Wow you guys got me going on Star Wars. Anywho back to the correct universe.

Thanks for the compliments. About the shuttle you've of course noticed the two half rings on the back. That is actually the warp drive in storage position. If the shuttle ever goes to warp the back half ring rotates down and locks with the front half. Thus it forms a complete ring. It can then use it's warp drive.

18. uniderth

Sin87 thanks for that image. I never actually thought about putting the name on the side of the neck before. What I think is cool is that there are many different versions of this ship out there. Each one can bring a source of inspiration for some design feature. And since there is nothing really established about this design nobody's design is more right than anyone else's.

Except for my design which is the right one! Haha, sorry couldn't resist.

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Ahh, thats pretty cool. :)

20. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain