Variety says John Carter film is poory scripted and directed

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by KL700, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

That has to be Woola, but Woola is exactly in the movie like it is in the book, so I don't see how that counts as a "Jar-Jar Binks." :confused:

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If it's the Toronto Star review, what was actually said was this:

3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Even the negative reviews indicate that I will probably like this movie. Then again when it comes to science fiction fantasy I am a forgiving viewer.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Me too but it's beginning to sound more and more like one to watch on DVD

5. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I rarely go to the movies and would rather watch a movie in the comfort of my home with my great sound system. So I will wait for the DVD.

The only movies I know I will go to the theater to see will be the next Batman, Superman, Star Trek and Godzilla movie (if they're still making that one).

Even though it sounds like John Carter might have a story that is muddled a bit that won't deter me at all from enjoying it.

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I will definitely be waiting for the rental on this one. I may be a huge scifi fan, but everything the critics are complaining about is exactly the kind of stuff that turns me off as well.

I mean, opening the movie with a big CGI battle with a bunch of characters and aliens we know nothing about, and a bunch of ridiculous exposition? That's the kind of boneheaded storytelling I got more than enough of from the SW prequels.

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Tron Legacy did all right at the box office: $400 million worldwide against a production budget estimated at $170 million. John Carter will likely fare far worse. Hopefully it's an enjoyable movie, but any hopes for sequels are very unlikely to come to fruition.

9. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

I think this is definitely a movie that should be seen in a theater. It's shot in a way that is reminiscent of good old-fashioned epics like Lawrence of Arabia. It won't have the same effect on a TV screen.

There's no need to see it in 3D, though. It's not a bad conversion, but it doesn't really add anything.

10. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

My local flea pit is only showing this film in 3D, so I'm going to have to wait for the DVD/Blu-ray. Sounds like a rental rather than a buy.

I've never read ERB's literary sequels to A Princess of Mars, so I don't know if any continuation of the series would likely be rinse and repeat in terms of plot. I expect further instalments would be unlikely to pay off even if this first one doesn't tank at the box office.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

I'll probably see it this weekend, and definitely in 3D - I don't see any point in paying to see big adventure movies in 2D when there's a choice.

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

If it was filmed that way, I would agree. But, upconverted makes me shake my head. YMMV.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Some upconverts are good and some aren't. I haven't seen one since Clash Of The Titans which was really detrimental to the film.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Link

That sounds like what I've observed in the last week, and I'm a little mystified by how determinedly uninterested women seem to be in this. There's almost antipathy toward it.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well I, for one, am shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you!

16. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Maybe they should have called it "A Princess of Mars", after all... ;)

Seriously, a better marketing campaign could have done wonders in that department. There are at least two very strong female characters, a very pronounced romance subplot, a hunky hero (it can't hurt that he's nearly topless for much of the movie), a cute animal sidekick, and a rich fantasy setting. There's even a royal wedding! All of that would traditionally make the movie quite appealing to women. But they're clearly not communicating that very well.

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Warlord of Mars would have been a better idea. Women don't necessarily want to see fantasy films about women when they can see some buff, half-nekked guy.

However, I'm far from convinced Taylor Kitch floats anyone's boat. He just looks like a kid wearing a loincloth. :wtf:

Cast a real man in the lead role. Emphasize that Dejah Thoris is the leader of her noble embattled people, blahblahblah. Here comes the Earthman to help her. Not rescue her, help her. Don't be shy about explaining his Confederate backstory. There's still some romance there (much as I may find that phenomenon yucky).

That's about as much as you can do to make this story female-friendly.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Perhaps its the film itself that doesn't "communicate very well." It's one thing to argue that certain elements are present in the film, another to demonstrate that they're effective. Given the lack of enthusiastic word-of-mouth for this movie and the lukewarm reviews (to be kind) it really appears that the essential problem is the film the marketers have to work with.

19. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

As a man, I can only make an educated guess about this, but when I saw the movie, I definitely felt like it would appeal to many of my female friends. Obviously, it's never going to appeal to ALL women, but I see no reason why it would have to look as unappealing to female audiences as it seems to do. I've actually recommended it to quite a few women and would be surprised if they don't like it.

Then again, I don't understand any of the lukewarm to negative reviews, either, as I really enjoyed the movie.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Tron did very well, don't know where you got your info.

As for what Variety says, why not just go see it?

RAMA