Star Wars: The Old Republic anticipation thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chaos Descending, Jun 10, 2011.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I guess they verified whether it "could".

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Well with the NDA lift has come and gone, and I didn't really learn anything I didn't already know, except for the info on the Legacy BS. I'm epic nerd raging over that.

The same "family" for all your toons regardless of race, alignment, etc? Whose genius idea was that?

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

This "same surname for all your characters" thing makes no sense whatsoever. Why would my Chiss Imperial Agent have the same surname as, say, a Human Bounty Hunter, a Miraluka Jedi, a Zabrak Sith, etc.?

4. sojourner

Surnames??? I missed something

5. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hadn't heard anything about that.

It sounds too utterly stupid to be true.

6. CorporalClegg

With the new legacy system you create a surname when your first character reaches level ten. This same surname is then used for all your toons across all the servers.

7. PsychoPere

The Legacy System

The good news is that the initial post, which stated the surname would be used for all toons across all servers, was incorrect - it's all toons across one server. Even with that correction, I don't like the idea since I was planning on attempting to keep all of my toons on the same PVE server. The rest of the idea - the XP aspect, whatever future functions they roll out - is fine, just not this surname part.

8. sojourner

Well, if you can hide the name, what's the big deal? Most MMO's don't allow a last name anyway.

9. Kytee

Kytee Commander Red Shirt

I pre-ordered back when they first came up, had an absolute blast playing the beta weekend of Nov 11th. My guild has decided they are going to be on the Sith side so I played Galatic Republic during the beta so the story would be fresh when live hits, although I did play the mirror class, ( I'll be an agent , so I tried smuggler )

spent a few hours only trying out a Jedi as well, both classes felt evenly matched , although I only tried 10ish levels of each.

With regards to having 8 unique play throughs, while every class has their own class
    story to follow, there are many side quests that overlap. For example , Smugglers and Troopers start on the same planet, so outside of the story quests, they have the same starter quests. and it appears all 4 Galatic Republic classes end up on Coruscant after 10 levels, so likely all of them will overlap on non story quests at that point.
    ( this was as far as I got, so it could be that Coruscant has so many quests that you can vary which quests you do on each alt, I'm not quite sure )

anyway, cant wait to play live )

-Kytee

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  10. sojourner

Republic, it's Galactic Republic. The Sith is the Empire.

11. CorporalClegg

OMG This game is amazing!

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm currently patching the updates now since my next Beta trial starts tommorow.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

A pain to get in but once in so far so good :techman:

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Posted my (brief) thoughts in the "What game are you playing" thread, but basically I enjoyed what I played of it, but unfortunately my computer is just too old and too slow for me to be able to fully enjoy the game. I plan on getting a new PC next year, though, and when I do I definitely plan on playing the full game. :techman:

15. Hartzilla2007

Sweet my level seven jedi Knight is still there..

16. PsychoPere

Yeah, I was surprised to find my previous Bounty Hunter testing toon still on the server. I assumed weekend testers would be wiped between weekend sessions, but it must be easier to just wait and wipe all testers at the same time prior to launch.

17. Hartzilla2007

Though for some reason they wiped out my character's pants.

18. PsychoPere

Hm, I didn't have any issue like that. I did have to put a couple equipped items back into inventory, though, because the level requirement had been upped by one.

19. CorporalClegg

I was so sure I was going to roll Pubs. But I played IA and SI yesterday and loved them both.

Gonna try a trooper today and maybe a JK. Though I've heard the latter's story is a bit underwhelming.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I played a Smuggler and thought he was pretty fun, but I didn't get too deep into the story unfortunately.