Person of Interest Season 3

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Bob Morton, Sep 25, 2013.

1. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really? No talk yet about Tuesday's episode. Looks like Samaritan is going to go on a killing spree and take over the world.

2. blueziggy

blueziggy Lieutenant Red Shirt

loved the episode. i thought it setup nicely for a huge run to the end of the season and obvious cliff hanger. i cant wait to see what they come up with.

i have a few ideas on how they could proceed.

-Samaritan comes online leads to all out war with the Machines agents.
    -Machine covets the item from this past episode and sends Root to obtain it, eventually leading to Root finding the machine.
    -Samaritan turns out to be an AI written by the Machine (in most mythology the kids are always considered a threat to the parents)
    -Root and Shaw hookup

3. joVuNik

joVuNik Lieutenant Red Shirt

:techman:

POI has really become a terrific show (for a regular network tv show) that has really hit its stride now. I love that all the little pieces continue to fall into place. The last 2 eps were an absolute treat to watch for dedicated watchers.

I like that its a grounded superhero show and its hits all the themes of 'noble hero', sacrifice, death, villains who turn 'good' , 'messed up' heroes, etc. List goes on.

My fear is that after the eventual defeat of Samaritan down the road (not spoilers just my speculation) where can this story go to take it to another level?

4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Stupid question from a noob:

Is Root actually hearing a machine or does she simply think she is and that was why she was in an insane asylum?

5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

She's actually communicating with the Machine (through surveillance video and her phone), and vice versa (through her phone's earpiece).

6. blueziggy

spoiler...... now she doesnt even need here phone

7. Locutus of Bored

Yeah, now it uses infrasound to communicate with her cochlear implant over long distance so it can't be frequency jammed again (in addition to still using her cellphone if it wants to pass on more complex data and audio/visual information):

[​IMG]

Also, I love the attention to detail and continuity between episodes again, with Root facing the consequences of her assassin days, and the Machine giving her a chance to redeem her mistakes and become more human by saving the guy whose life she ruined (the Machine is teaching her about humanity). Plus, they even give us hints about the next PoI (Maria Martinez) in the graphics of this episode:

[​IMG]
    https://www.personofinterestdiscussion.com/content/who-threat-subject-7824-maria-martinez

Root: "Do you really want to see what happens when two gods go to war?"

Uh, yes please. That and you and Shaw hooking up.

It's pretty cool for this show to have such a strong ensemble cast that arguably the main (or co-main) character (Reese) can take a backseat in this episode without diminishing the quality.

8. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^Indeed. Finch is by far my favorite character, but I can easy watch an episode that focuses on ANY of the "fab five:" Finch, Reese, Shaw, Root and Fusco. There aren't too many shows on right now where I actually like and care about all the main players.

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Okay, now that i'm edumacated on Root, I can now say i like Amy Acker here much better than on Angel.

10. blueziggy

as one of the guys i work with said, "shes got the crazy down so well, you actually think shes sane."

11. auntiehill

Really enjoyed the last episode and how Root used Bear to track the guy--very clever. Although, I kinda got an "A-Team" vibe when they all showed up with the fire truck. :lol:

12. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

Reese crashing through the window was priceless. Although perhaps a bit reckless.

And why didn't Greer's men just shoot Root after the situation was disarmed? Yes, call this one a draw, but still seems a bit odd.

13. auntiehill

^yeah, that was a bit hokey. But, I guess the Baddie wants to eventually bring her to The Dark Side, so he's keeping her around.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Probably didn't want to take the chance that if they shot she shot and he still dies.

15. auntiehill

^ I was kinda wondering about maneuver. It looked like that was quite a distance---hard tell from the angle. Even though he was holding on to the guy and his body provided a cushion, wouldn't Reese at least have broken a wrist or arm or something from the impact?

16. Locutus of Bored

He would have had at least a concussion and probably some broken ribs and internal damage from the impact. It would be recoverable, but he wouldn't be immediately up and walking around after that anywhere but in Hollywood.

17. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought that was a decent episode. Took me a while to realize that Ken Davies was Damar!

18. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I recognized him right away. That voice is unmistakable!

:lol:

Pretty good episode except I did not like the whole Root sequence, especially toward the end. Following him around everywhere just have a talk and then let him walk away? WTF? That seemed like a total waste.

19. Ometiklan

Ometiklan Captain Captain

I thought this last episode was poor. The last few with Root and the two machines were great, but this episode dropped the ball hard.

Some issues:
    - Shaw idiotically falls for the target's 180 degree about-face about doing something about the situation personally and the "you want a drink" ploy and doesn't notify Harold about her escape until Harold calls her?
    - Triple layer security at the UN, but there are a bunch of black-clad Legionnaires holding a fight in a big lobby and no one comes to investigate? Our crew shoots people, breaks into offices, and walks out with no one reacting at all?
    - Shaw fires two grenades through windows of the UN and the triple-layer security never bats an eye?
    - The wrap-up at the bar, with the reversed deportation decision, occurs on the same night (according to Shaw’s dialog)? Fusco doesn’t have mountains of paper work he is still wading through? At least in earlier episodes where I had issues with them dropping important threads/ignoring major crime scenes, (for instance the guy that burned to death in the trunk of a car that John escaped from), they mention it later (as a crime scene the FBI investigated), but I don’t think they will ever be revisiting any of the major crimes that occurred here or the serious lapses in logic that are forgotten about.
    - For all the good episodes where Harold and John are unsure about the target's good/evil status and do a proper investigation, there are episodes like this one where they jump to the obviously wrong conclusion and hold onto it too long (in this case, until the target revealed she was carrying paper, not a bomb).
    - Conservation of characters and Casey Biggs’s presence telegraphed that he and the Greek diplomat were probably the real villains. Yeah, sometimes you can’t avoid this kind of thing, but normally POI handles this kind of situation more gracefully.
    - The aforementioned confrontation with Root and Bear and John Greer seemed sloppy in terms of not being a real standoff, but I guess John G. was really serious about not wanting to negotiate at either end of a gun barrel, so this passes.

20. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

Looks like Samaritan is now online.

Why exactly did Finch leave the others even though Reese didn't put a bullet in the senator's head? Then again, he propably knew that Decima would get the connections and he would be the first logical target, so I guess he wants to protect Reese and Shaw essentially from himself.