Robin in a Batman movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gojira, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

In actually liked Chris Donnell's take on Robin in Batman Forever. I liked the costume and his rebelliousness and the fact that Bruce Wayne/Batman was reluctant to take on a partner and that they had clashes. I liked his costume in it too.

I am pretty certain Robin will not be in the new Nolan movie but I was thinking when they eventually reboot Batman again should they include Robin? Or is his character out of date and just doesn't work anymore?

How can Robin be done successfully in a Batman movie?

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hitgirl with a dick.

We saw a 10 year old girl with no super powers consecutively waste 30 guidos in less than ten minutes with hyperactive super kungfu, and it was awe-esome.

There's no point in having an "adult" Robin.

That's a business partner, not a son.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I am actually more interested in seeing Batman in a Robin movie. I think it would be an interesting spin to make a movie where Dick Grayson is the main character.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing you saw that fake Grayson trailer ten years back and never really recovered?

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think Dick Grayson works better than Robin bizarrely enough. But I agree with above that Robin has to be young. This is problematic from any kind of moral standpoint, but I don't see the point of an essentially adult Robin.

6. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I'd be up for it, but I don't want to see Robin for the sake of him being there. If the writers can come up with an organic way to include him, then I'd be up for it. Dick Grayson actually is one of my favorite characters ever, but kid sidekicks feel like it's one of those things that can only work in comic books.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

In other words, Damian Wayne. :)

Dick would be, in a lot of ways, the least interesting possibility for Robin. He lacks the edges that Jason (street kid), Stephanie (screw-up), and Damian (ten-year-old psychopath) have.

Tim would work well on screen. Precocious kid who cracks the secret of Batman's identity.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Nolanverse Robin should, IMHO, be what SELMA was in Time Trax. A hologram companion/information archive. I even came up with the meaning...

Remote Operated Bat Information Network

9. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hit-Girl worked because she was using guns, and to a lesser extent short-swords. They were force multipliers. Once she lost her weapons and got into a fistfight she had her ass handed to her. You can't do that with Robin because of Batman's code. Lethal force is a big no-no. And Hitgirl's tactics work solely because of their lethality.

The question becomes, how many mobsters can Damian stab and/or shoot to death before Bruce grounds him?

10. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with those saying "Like Dick Grayson, not sure about Robin in a movie." Maybe just skip to Nightwing with, yes, more of a partner approach? Especially if DC does a "multiple superhero" thing like Marvel's doing.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^That's been my thought in this regard too. If they want to keep to a more realistic approach just jump right to one of the post-Robin identies, Red Robin, Nightwing, or Red Hood.
    Personally, I would love to see them do a movie with the Stephanie Brown. I don't know the character myself, but I think it would be interesting to see the mass public's reaction to a girl Robin.

12. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Would certainly be a fun bit of sand in the eye to DC, who seem intent on forgetting she ever existed. :lol:

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like I said before, I don't know the character, but from everything I read about her she sounded pretty cool. I know at one point I was hearing that she would be back as Spoiler, but then I heard she wasn't. Did they change their minds, or was it never actually confirmed that she was coming back?

14. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Ohhh, love that idea. Remember the Onstar commercial with the Batmobile? That's what your idea reminds me of. But take it to the next level like your idea and make him a hologram that sits at Batman's side while riding. Make it a hologram with an attitude. Just hope he doesn't direct him to a ditch or off a pier! :lol:

15. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i don't read the comics, but what i know is:

She didn't die; it was a fake out by the doctor who treated her. she came back as Spoiler before becoming the 4th or 5th Batgirl (replacing Cassandra Cain) before all this New 52 BS came along and she disappeared.

16. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

From what I hear, she'll be showing up in Batman Incorporated before the end of it all.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Okay, I can't read any further and still take this seriously.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I don't read the comics but I like the look of Robin from the Arkham City game, I know it not the original Dick Grayson one.

19. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would like to see Robin in a future Batman film. Though I wouldn't mind skipping Dick Grayson and going to Jason Todd. Also I wouldn't mind seeing Stephanie or Damien. I like Dick and Tim, but the prickly relationship Batman seemed to have with Jason, Stephanie, and now Damien could offer more dramatic fireworks. I know he has also had strained relations with Dick over the years, but that has played out over decades whereas his personality clashes with my preferred Robins were more immediate.

Plus if they went to Jason we could get a movie version of Death in the Family which I think could be awesome.

20. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be fair, he (both O'Donnell and the character) were ok-ish in Forever. It wasn't untill Batman and Robin that both become absolutely horrible.