Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Movie Reboot Announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, May 7, 2014.

1. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Was the character of Rita that shrill in the original Japanese version of the show?

2. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Well as a reboot, Rita would be the clear choice for the villain. Rita had the history with Zordon, including a 2000 year war against him. Also Rita is the one who presumably created the green ranger powers, while Zordon created all the dinozords and dragonzord. An evil witch and her army of monsters vs a good wizard and his 6 champions of justice. The poetry of it writes itself.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJaBxHtMS5g[/yt]

Judge for yourself. I will say that she was equally as goofy as her american counterpart.

If you have any nostalgic feelings about Goldar being a super badass. I suggest caution. What you are about to see, may disturb you. lol
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyNbF4J64Kk[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoFJxRtz-Ik[/yt]

3. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Rita Repulsa is just such a lame name and character, though. This is a reboot, so things can be picked and chosen. Passing over that early stuff is a choice that will likely and hopefully be made. Rita and her minions and whatever else - it's lame. It was lame as a kid, it's still lame now.

4. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I didn't mind Rita as a kid (well, I was a teen, but still), she was different than your average villains. Lord Zedd was much closer to what I'd expect a Power Rangers villain to be like.

The only thing that bothered me as a teen was how Rita's lips didn't match what she was saying...but at that age I didn't really understand that Power Rangers was a re-dubbed version of a Japanese show.

5. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Goldar is a given. People recognize and love that gold oaf. Hopefully he's the version from season 1 when he was an actual threat to the rangers and not groveling comic relief he was in season 2 and 3.

Finister you can have. He makes the monsters.

Squatt and Baboo can be dumped.

Scorpina? Yes please :drool:

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I feel Squatt and Baboo mirror Bulk and Skull in some way. Perhaps four comic relief characters are too much.

7. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the big question is whether or not this film will be a low budget crapfest like the first two films or a major $100+ million adaptation like the Transformers films.

8. Alidar Jarok

I would imagine it's almost certainly the latter.

9. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Expect amazing CG and lens flare everywhere.

I do wonder how they will handle the costumes, maybe something similar to the ones in the first movie.

10. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

We now have some names attached to the movie.

Ashley Miller
    and Zack Stentz (Andromeda, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Fringe, Thor, X-Men: First Class) will write the script. And a name that should be familiar to most of us, Roberto Orci (Fringe, Star Trek, Hawaii Five-0, Sleepy Hollow) will executive produce, as well as help the writers develop the story.

So yeah, Orci's involvement pretty much answers the "big-budget?" question.

ETA: Forgot the link: Hollywood Reporter

11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

So, Orci is on another franchise I enjoy, and one I never imagined he'd ever be able to get his hands on. Why can't he just be content with dragging ST through the mud? I guess the big only question now will be, if Alpha 5 is in the movie, will he be a racist stereotype like the twin autobots from Transformers 2, or will he be more of the "humping the leg" type of robot, also from Transformers 2 :klingon:

12. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Just like the people who made the Godzilla movies and all of the other 'classic' FX-laden sci-fi movies of the 50's and 60's fulfilled your need to see people get hurt by monsters and menaced by aliens, Frontier.

So Michael Bay might make the movie-so what? What makes him different from the directors of all of the Ray Harryhausen/Willis O' Brien/Inshiro Honda/Eiji Tsuburaya films (Tsuburaya's creation of Ultraman spawned Power Rangers and all of the other Japanese Super Sentai groups, BTW) that are now considered 'classics' by everybody? He'll bring a bigger bang for the buck? The Power Rangers movies are all about kicking ass and bashing big monsters anyway! There can be some deep stuff (plot-wise and character-wise) put into the movie, but it will still be about a bunch of kids kicking ass of big monsters and robotic creatures. To make it any deeper would be to wreck it and make it fail.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  13. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

He's not even writing the script so relax. You get so worked up over nothing. All the time.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Orci, Miller and Stentz involvement in this actually has me a little more interested in this that I had been. I've liked most of the stuff I've seen from them.

It's not entirely fair to hold stuff from Transformers 2 against Orci. That came out during the writers strike, so the writers weren't as involved with it as they usually would have been.

15. Alidar Jarok

Isn't all the racism in Power Rangers reserved for the colors of their uniforms?

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

FWIW, believe 'em or not, they claim they just wrote the characters, and that the ethnic voices and gold teeth and such were all Bay's doing.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, it really is coming to the point where I'm more surprised when Orci isn't involved with a movie.

18. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

True just look at how much better than the movies Transformer: Prime is.

19. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Orci being involved worries me.

The fact he has a career bothers me. He's awful, frankly, and I've enjoyed none of his work. He's like Michael Bay, the second coming.

Hopefully he'll have no creative input into the film though.

I just hope they get this right. Really pull MMPR out of the cheese, you know? It's a decent concept if they can just get it away from the camp and cheapness of shows aimed at 6 year olds. Loved it myself when I was young, but it sucks not being able to enjoy it now without being under the influence of either nostalgia or other substances. :P

20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Orci and Kurtzman (almost certainly) have careers because they can churn out setpiece-friendly scripts on a tight deadline, with a positive attitude and a complete willingness to let their producers' desire for new toy showcases and other such practical concerns override everything else. I very much doubt Orci gives two craps about Power Rangers as an idea. But, hey, could be wrong there.

So you admit that by "right", you mean "something entirely different than it was conceived as being"? :rommie: