‘Star Trek 3′: Roberto Orci Wants to Direct

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by HaplessCrewman, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't get your hopes up.

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Makes me wonder if he actually believes in the batshit Nibiru crap as well.

3. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Note the TrekToday headline that went up a little while ago:

http://www.trektoday.com/content/2014/04/kurtzman-and-orci-go-solo/

Apparently both Orci and Kurtzman are pursuing independent directing and producing careers in film, though they'll continue to collaborate on TV productions. Kurtzman's already been picked to direct the Venom spinoff from the Amazing Spider-Man franchise, and he has only one prior movie directing credit, a Chris Pine film called People Like Us.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind Orci directing XIII. Simply because I know there are worse choices.

And strangely enough, this is perhaps the most positive thing I've ever said about Orci.

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then it should be very interesting if Orci gets the Director's chair.

7. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I welcome this if it happens.

8. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I'm mostly turned off because I feel that spreading lies like "the government was behind 9/11" is an insult to those who lost their lives and/or suffered from the event. That's just my opinion.

9. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It is a huge commitment. I don´t know if Orci have gained some practical knowledge in this area.

If Leonard Nimoy did not suffer chronic ill health, he would be ideal to direct ST 3. He is a great expert in Star Trek.

10. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Karl Urban said they had already chosen the director. I wonder if they didn´t reach an agreement.

11. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

The pluses as I see them are that as one of the writers, he'd certainly have a vision for the movie; he knows Trek very well; he knows the cast and production people, which can't hurt; he has a relationship with Abrams; his ego is unlikely to clash with Abrams's, as could happen if someone with a reputation equal to Abrams as a director came in to direct.

I'm sure Paramount would be nervous and reluctant as hell to give the director's chair to a first-timer, though. To that end, I bet it would take quite a vote of confidence and some lobbying from Orci's peers, especially Abrams, to see it happen. If they'd be comfortable enough with the idea to do that, then who am I to say it wouldn't work? They know Orci. I don't.

12. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Yeah, "9/11 truth" isn't politics. Conspiracy theories do not = politics. And honestly, scientology, as batshit crazy as it is, makes more sense than 9/11 conspiracy theories.

That's not to say Orci can't direct a good movie. You do have to be creative to come up with this crazy bullshit.

13. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't he also say in an interview that Cumberbatch wasn't Khan? Or that he was.... oh I can't remember.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

IIRC, it was Simon Pegg and Alice Eve who both explicitly asserted in interviews that he wasn't Khan.

15. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^^
    he'd also find a way to recast Samuel L. Jackson as Lt. Uhura too. I can see it now as they come in contact with a new alien race:

SLJ as Uhura: "English mother-f**ker, do you speak it?I" ;)

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm pretty sure it was Urban who said Cumberbatch "made a great Gary Mitchell" or words to that effect.

EDIT: Here's an article on it...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-trek-karl-urban-benedict-cuberbatch-villain-346625

17. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

If Orci gets the director's chair, there will likely be questions whether he really directed it himself, or if Abrams was standing next to him making suggestions. Just like the debate on whether Howard Hawks or Christian Nyby directed The Thing from Another World.

18. elric428

elric428 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How about Seth MacFarlane for the directors chair?

19. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

reading the outrage over tumblr and twitter, I'm surprised to see so many here and over trekmovie being fine with these (possible) news :lol:
    some fans are having a tantrum over this and they created a petition to 'stop' Orci ..

I'm sort of indifferent about this. On one hand I don't know if it's a good move to have the last (possibly) movie directed by someone doing it for the first time.. (and we also have two new inexperienced writers) at the same time with JJ gone I honestly don't know if a completely new director could do more harm than good and ruin the potential that the first movie had. I think stid suffered from the fact that there were too many guys writing it and they didn't agree about everything..
    I think my concern is that with the trek anniversary the writers might be even more tempted to 'copy and paste' stories from the old trek

20. mredom

mredom Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Like Nicholas Meyer? Who had only directed "Time After Time" prior to his directorial debut with the consensus "best" movie in the Star Trek Franchise?

OK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.