Sherlock - Series 3

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

A canon character from the books, an exceptional black mail artist. The Jeremy Brett adaptation of the book in his series was one of the better ones, hopefully Benedict's will be too.

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

They've changed his name a bit for this series, mind you...

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Does anyone know why? I'm not all familiar with the Doyle stories (I own them but they're buried in my reading list) beyond what I've seen on this show, the Guy Ritchie films, and what I've read on Wikipedia, so I don't see the difference in the two names.

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd guess that Charles Augustus Magnusson, the Sherlock character, will be Norwegian or Swedish rather than Doyle's Englishman. :)

Moffat says he's "terrifying."

I've also heard the episode will end of a cliffhanger.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Ah, that would make sense.

Not surprised we'll get another cliffhanger. Hopefully that'll mean we'll definitely get another series. I know Cumberbatch has said there will be one but nothing is confirmed yet, I believe.

6. Allyn Gibson

Given Cumberbatch's schedule (he's said he's booked through autumn, when he plays Hamlet on stage in London), it's unlikely a fourth series would film until 2015. Maybe the best we can hope for is a biannual series over New Years. :)

7. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

Plot to blow up Parliament by planting explosives in underground chambers below them?

8. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Didn't really like it. Some nice scenes but very little there to really save it. The plot wasn't really there. The (non-)solution was just annoying. The poking fun at the fans seemed cynical rather than affectionate or fun.

9. Lonemagpie

Yeah, I think they changed the name just to take the casting into account.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Episode 2 was an improvement on the first one, which was a surprise as it was looking iffy as late as half way through...

11. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

I can't believe they killed Mary off at the wedding. that's so cold...poor John :eek:

12. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Yeah, it was a bit like Sherlock's speech in that regard, although to a lesser extent. Overall, I loved it.

Some thoughts:
    • Mycroft's started working out. If we see him with a companion next episode then maybe he's taken Sherlock's advice of last episode to heart.
    • Mary is starting to look like a Mary Sue. Although I don't put her in the "too sweet to be wholesome" category, it does seem like something is being set up.
    • The apparently false distinction between psychopathy and sociopathy rears its head again.

13. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Captain Captain

if ep3 will be as much better than ep2 as it was from the opener, we'll be in for a treat.

14. Lonemagpie

Two episodes in and basically they seem to have put the cast of Sherlock into some sort of - possibly Richard Curtis - comedy miniseries with no actual... Sherlockness.

Yeah, it's well done and the cast do well, and BC is fabulous- but this isn't the modern Sherlock Holmes that had two series between 2010-2012. It's a great show, but it's a different great show with the same cast...

Nice of them to air a half-hour Sherlock episode after the hour-long Sunday night comedy show.

We need more Sherlock & Molly

That was so green Death I'm amazed he didn't drive off in Bessie.

Mary is so dead next week, isn’t she?

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Kill Mary - I hope not, that would be pathetically obvious - like in Se7en !

No, it's a different show this season. Hopefully more Sherlocky next week...

16. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

my thought on next week's episode... it's called "His Last Vow". in tonight's episode, Sherlock made his first and last vow (think that's vow he described it) and it leaves me concerned for the final episode of this series :(

17. Lonemagpie

1) She's dead in the Canon, albeit having lived and died prior to the Adventure of The Empty House.

2) Also, nice hidden clue to Mary's having history with the season's Big Bad... (What, you think I wouldn't notice the telegram from CAM...? The initials of Charles Augustus Magnussen/Milverton)

18. Allyn Gibson

While I don't think of Sherlock as Canonically-related as Moffat and Gatiss seem to, Canon Mary does die sometime between Holmes' "death" and return. That gives them reason to kill her.

The Downey movies have the same issue; Kelly Reilly's Mary should die before the next film.

19. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Her being pregnant basically sealed the deal.

The episode premise sounded like something from a Romantic Comedy, but it worked out better and was better executed than the previous episode.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Wow people are a hard sell sometimes. I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Had me literally laughing and cheering all the way through.

I hope they don't kill Mary :(