Your pick for most egregious SYNDICATION CUT for a Trek Series.

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Mutara Nebula 1967, Mar 25, 2009.

1. BlackestPanther

BlackestPanther Lieutenant Commander

Any cuts in City on the Edge of Forever?

2. kissthestar

kissthestar Captain Captain

Indeed. Those are the unkindest cuts of all.

3. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

THE CHANGELING, on San Jose's Channel 11 in 1973 or 74. They cut the entire teaser and credits and just opened with the first act. I remember because it was a day when I was going to audio tape some of the show (glad those days are behind us oldsters!), and that got me seriously p.o'd.

Other than that, a cut that wasn't really syndication-related, just a screwup, would be DS9, the first ep of season 2. Somehow channel 44 in SF skipped an entire ACT of the show (first or second) ... I thought there was something weird with the way the story played out, and when the credits ran at about 8:49 that night, it was confirmed for me.

4. Stewey

Stewey Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember that the BBC once refused to show the episode where data or picrad mentions that Northern Ireland becomes part of the full island of Ireland.

Thankfully that episode is in my DVD collection.

5. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

There is something seriously wrong with that....very disturbing...I know they didn't show patterns of force in europe for many years but really!

When did this refusal to air this episode occur...if it wasn't recent would it occur today?

6. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was in the early 90s back when the IRA were bombing the UK and the episode suggested that Ireland would be unified through these terrorist actions in the 2030s. I can understand why they might cut out that line since it was of little significance to the plot, but instead they decided not to show the whole episode because it showed terrorists in a somewhat sympathetic way. I know that Sky One in the UK has shown the episode many times without the line being cut, but I don't know if the BBC ever did.

7. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

Do you think the BBC would air it in it's entirety if it was broadcast today?

8. TheGodBen

Violence involving republican terrorists in Northern Ireland is down despite the recent shootings, and it was already shown on other UK stations, so I can't think why they wouldn't.

9. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I noticed this cut last night when watching 'The Killing Game.' They cut the discussion between Tuvok and Janeway's characters after Seven's nueral supressant (or whatever) was deactivated. The talk highlights their suspicion of the character that Seven is playing, and gives some set up for 'Katrine's' distrust of her when they reach the Nazi HQ building. It's a badly timed cut, since it gives context to Katrine pulling the gun. And they could have cut pieces of establishing panoramas around Saint Claire and some of the stuff with the psychopathic second and the Nazi who 'fathered' B'Elanna's holo-pregnancy instead, stuff that ISN'T important. I'm not even asking them to cut out Seven singing (cuz I liked that part, gratuitious as it was)!

10. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"The High Ground" UK History lesson:

The BBC banned it in their 1992, 1997, 2002 screenings of season three.
    Sky DID show the episode BUT IT WAS CUT to omit the Ireland line, contrary to what an earlier OP stated.
    CIC Video released it in its entirety in 1992.
    The Beeb finally showed the episode, uncut, in 2008, a mere sixteen years after season 3 received its first UK broadcast!!

11. TheGodBen

I remember watching that episode on Sky One 6 or 7 years ago and that line was in there. I didn't even know that was any controversy about the episode until I read it on Memory Alpha a few years ago, but I'm Irish and I remember being surprised hearing that in the show. It was a long time ago though so I could well be wrong.