Shore Leave

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by dansigal, Jul 17, 2013.

1. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

If there was every a place to do it for this particular forum, Shore Leave would it

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

No kidding.

And clearly you can count me in! ;)

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The Hunt Valley Inn sold out the first week of March. I know this, because I booked the next to last room the first week of March.

I've stayed across the street. (And there was the year I slept in the back seat of my Beetle. That's against the law in Maryland, by the way.) You can walk across Shawan Road. You don't need to go as far as the crosswalk. Jaywalking is fine. It's six lanes, with a concrete berm in the middle, and you'll be able to make it across.

I work about two miles from there. (I can see the Hunt Valley Inn from the coffee nook in my office.) It's a pretty safe area. No cattle rustlers. No roving gangs of malcontents. It's a generally upscale area.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

There's also a multiplex movie theater across the street and a few blocks up. I've often played hooky from the con to go catch a summer blockbuster--and lived to tell of it! :)

Hmm. Just noticed Guardians of the Galaxy opens that weekend. Very interesting . . . ..

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I really wouldn't recommend that. It's doable if you're careful, but it's a risk, since traffic can get pretty heavy at that spot -- and can be rather fast, since some of the cars are just getting off the interstate. I still feel I was lucky not to get hit when I unthinkingly crossed there on my first Shore Leave. Admittedly I was exhausted and lugging a heavy case at the time, but having no prior experience crossing that road was a factor too. For a first-timer, I'd recommend the crosswalk.

6. Greg Cox

For the record, there's a crosswalk with lighted signals just about a block from the hotel.

WALK/DONT WALK, etc.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yeah, I'll be happy enough with that.

I'm still a bit disappointed I haven't heard anything back from the committee yet. I left online messages - as recommended on the official website - for several different people about a month ago now, but so far nothing. And the only ticket receipt I have is my PayPal print-out for a weekend pass.

Should I have heard from the committee by now?

I think the only "extra" I need to consider is the Richard Dean Anderson talk ticket? Not that he's on my must-see list.

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Why are you expecting to hear from them? Are you trying to get on panels? They're probably not even thinking about the schedule yet.

To pick up your badge, all you need is ID. Your Paypal receipt would be useful, but not necessary.

9. Therin of Andor

Well, only because every other convention I've attended having already paid money in advance, there's usually been some kind of acknowledgement. This is the first one by PayPal, but the site is set up for getting answers to questions from various committee members. Long-running fan-run committees always tend to be a bit more communicative, in my experience. This thread (and the static info on the webpage) have been my only sources of info so far. (But I'm so grateful it's here!)

There was supposed to be a dedicated email list, too, but nothing's come through. Not even an automated welcome. Coupled with my initial difficulties with the hotel site, seemingly accepting my booking, then no reply, it's all be a bit nebulous, esp. when I'm traveling so far to attend! In some ways, this feels like my very first convention.

I think I asked about them.

Ok, thanks.

I have known people to travel 100s of miles and be unable to gain admission to a sold-out con that they assumed they had bookings for. Just double-checking.

Too late when I get there and people say, "Why didn't you panic when you didn't hear from the committee with xxx weeks?" ;)

10. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Vis a vis setting up a TrekBBS meet-up - there's a sub-forum within Misc for arranging meetups, but if anyone wants to create a thread in here to attract lit-folk, I'll sticky it until the convention.

Please read the meet-ups thread about safety at meet-ups though - and I hope you all have a great time at the convention, even if there isn't a BBS meetup :techman:

11. Thrawn

That's awesome. I don't think it makes much sense this far out, but I'll create a thread a little closer to the con and I'll PM you when I do.

12. Therin of Andor

Yep, the Sydney Star Trek Meetup Group has used that forum a few times, but you have to remind people to go to Misc. (and risk people accusing you of spamming in other threads), because so few people think to check that forum. Misc. is how I discovered a whole bunch of new Trek people a decade after our local Trek club folded.

Looking forward to meeting you all at Shore Leave!

13. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

14. Therin of Andor

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, all that requires is birthday suits.

16. Thrawn

So this is tomorrow! Who's going, and stuff?

Also - where are our authors going to be? Here's David Mack's schedule - http://www.davidmack.pro/blog/?p=4900 Has anyone else posted theirs?

17. Greg Cox

I'm definitely going to be there. I'll try to post my schedule when I get a chance. (Today is actually all about running around and getting ready for the con.)

18. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

19. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know tgere won't be a huge amount of news like we grew accustomed to getting, say, five years ago, but I do hope there are one or two announcements this weekend. I look forward to it!

20. Greg Cox

Okay, here's my schedule:

FRIDAY

9 pm. Tor Books presentation with Marco Palmieri (Hunt Room).
    10 pm; Meet the Pros mass autographing marathon.

SATURDAY

10 am. Star Trek: Writing in the Movie Era (Derby).
    11 am: Sixty years of Godzilla (Hunt).
    2 pm: Licensed vs. Novelizations (Salon F).

SUNDAY

3 pm: Movie Novelizations: Why Do We Read Them? (Derby).

Chances are, I'll also be planting myself at the book dealer's table at random intervals, to sign books and schmooze with passersby.