Where did the AI points go?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Konata Izumi, May 14, 2013.

1. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

This thing called Audience Appreciation Index. Not sure how it's counted along with viewer count. 87/84/84/85/85/85/84 points in episode order seems at glance the lowest since Series 2 and visibly lower than the series in between.

Why now?

2. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The same place the audience is going? Every episode from 'The Snowman' onwards has had a lower final figure than the one before and Series 7 now has the lowest average ratings since the series returned.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some of it's probably just natural for any show after a while and the novelty wears off. Everyone will have their own answers for this which are probably subjective but I think the production on 7B has been a bit sloppy and that they may have hit the point of diminishing returns on mystery arcs.

4. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

84-85 is still pretty good though. Get back to me when it dips int the 70's.

5. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Wikipedia says 85 or over is considered 'excellent' so I would not be worried just yet. Seemingly the highest Who got was 91 for The Stolen Earth/Journey's End while Love and Monsters got 76. The results for this series seem to be halfway between those two.

6. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

Both this and Series 2 eschew doom&gloom and have the relationship between the leads some kind of flirtatious.

Good change of pace and should help with longevity, but I'm sure they'll go back to at least the doom&gloom next series.

I'm hoping for something like a less cluttered, more planned out Series 6.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  7. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I thought the ratings have been going down since S5, though I think the way they counted ratings changed which gave it a boost in S6.

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

This 2nd half of the season has seen the ratings stuck at 6 million area when finals are in HOWEVER the share of the audience (which the BBC cares about more) remains around 30%. I've not seen the I-Player numbers yet, which is odd as it normally adds a fair amount onto the ratings. Worldwide, Doctor Who has never been more popular.

9. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They're pretty meaningless since they can't tell how many people watched, if it was the first time they watched or if they watched the whole thing,

Hell, I watched last week's episode on iPlayer and it took three times to get it to play properly, which will have been counted as three views of the episode.

10. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No they didn't change how ratings were calculated - the BBC introduced a new way of looking at their programmes (live+7) but the standard way remained in place and those are the numbers that are used for comparisons across years.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

12. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It already gained a million extra viewers on Sunday.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral