Your favourite version(s) of Stargate

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by F. King Daniel, Aug 22, 2010.

?

Which version(s) of Stargate are your favourites?

1. Stargate (1994 movie)

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. Stargate SG-1

29 vote(s)
    80.6%
  3. Stargate Atlantis

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Stargate Universe

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can pick more than one option in the poll.

Although seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 are a change from 1-8, I'm counting it as the same show.

My favourites are SG-1 and Atlantis, which I consider two sides of the same coin. I love them for the light-hearted fun they are.

I've come to appreciate the original Stargate movie, but I'm not crazy about it. I'd be interested to see Emmerich's talked-about two Stargate movie sequels starring Kurt Russell and James Spader (and ignoring everything but the original movie) once MGM is sold and SGU is done with, just to see what direction they take it in.

SGU I do not love. My favourite TV show has been turned into a rip-off of nuBSG, a show that I hate. The first half-season was rubbish, the second was an improvement but, unlike the first movie, SG-1 or SGA, it's nothing I'll ever want to rewatch.

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Very much my feelings as well. I like how SG1 and SGA can do humour as well as drama.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Parts of SG-1 and SG:A are okay, so those got my votes.
    If Stargate could transform into the far-superior BSG, it would be a big improvement. However, the Stargate writers lack the imagination and talent to do that, or anything other than just screw up the minimally entertaining franchise that they had going. I can't stomach the mess they've come up with.

4. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

SGA: I really liked most of the characters, especially Sheppard, McKay and Beckett...

5. crouteru

crouteru Captain Captain

All of them for me! ;)

6. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Early SG-1, nothin' beats it in the Stargate Franchise

7. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just Stargate SG-1 for me

Universe is an abysmal failure and Atlantis is, despite being decent enough entertainment, rather forgettable. SG-1 is the only show of the three I actually love. As for the movie, I saw it once in 1994. I don't remember a single thing about it.

8. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Stargate SG-1 >> Stargate Atlantis >>> Stargate Universe >>> Stargate (1994)

I really, really dislike Emmerich's script for that movie. If that was all I ever saw of the franchise, I wouldn't have been impressed. I'm sorry, but 'haha, what a nerd, look, he sneezed' is downright offensive to me and it was only made up for in the premiere of SG-1 with the actually-clever box-of-tissues gig.

SG-1 almost unfairly towers over its first and more in-line spinoff because it's so damn long. Counting every episode of its ten seasons plus the two telefilms, you're looking at a whopping 218 hours versus an impressive-but-not-nearly 100 even. There's so much more chance for growth, and on top of that, SGA started switching out its cast to a point that Airlock Alpha's Michael Hinman made the jab and said it was starting to look like Earth: Final Conflict, a point I have to agree with.

SGU is miles better than the movie, but it's something I'm eight episodes into despite my devotion to the franchise and I still haven't gotten around to rectifying that. So that's... noteworthy.

9. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^I'm with you, Jeff. SG-1 is the best because to me it's the perfect combination of lighthearted and serious as well as a great mix between a continuing storyline and standalone episodes. SGA is similar to me but it just never reached the greatness that SG-1 did. Of course, that's hard when SG-1 had a much more stable cast dynamic.
    SGU is...Stargate in name only. I find it slightly intriguing and the storyline is starting to pick up, but it's too needlessly 'faux-gritty' for me to take it seriously. SGU's idea of Dark and Gritty is a dark ship with cranky people on it. Just not doing it for me so much.
    The movie had potential, but the storyline is incoherent, a little sloppy, and O'Neill and Daniel (the two de facto main characters) just don't seem to mesh as well as they do in the movie.
    What really bugs me about the movie is that while Daniel's 'transformation' or redemption somewhat makes sense as his theories are vindicated and he finds love but O'Neill gets depressed, then fights some aliens and feels much better. I went, huh? Yeah, killing is relaxing and makes someone forget all about their son shooting himself. Just not seeing it.

10. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

That's kind of a piece of the Big American Action Hero (TM) schtick that I've seen numerous times, and if I'm to be perfectly brutally honest in my personal musings, classic Kurt Russell. That is to say, it's something I've never been remotely fond of or moved by. It's just not my cup tea, Earl Gray, hot. At all.

That's what draws me to characters like Jack O'Neill (two L's) and Daniel Jackson, and John Sheppard to a somewhat lesser extent. They show themselves as action heroes sometimes (Jackson obviously to a lesser extent, but enough later on to be mentioned) but they've got a strong, interesting head on their shoulders to make it more believable and capable of being connected with. It's also part of what gets me into such class acts as John Crichton, a character I feel a compulsion to mention given our... similar signatures.

It leads to another issue I have with SGU so far: there's really no one to take that role, which is fine since they're going for something different, but the trade-off hasn't been worth it so far. Colonel Young is Strong-Willed But Flawed (TM) but his flaws have rubbed me the wrong way; I don't care about his wife drama because it's not presented well and it's trite to boot. Scott is Inexperienced But Youthful And Determined (TM), which is all well and good, except where I've gotten to so far, the only point he's done anything I've remotely cared about was in "Time", the last episode I've seen so far. Otherwise he's just boning it up, and... talking to Chloe.

I like how I've seen multiple people lately claim that the show is starting to get itself together, though. It helps me suck it up and keep going with it again soon, especially after seeing a friend's review in which he decided he just wasn't going to watch anymore because it had actually gotten much worse by the end of the first season. That doesn't seem to be popular consensus at all, so I'm more than willing to give it more time.

Time... "Time" was the best of the first eight episodes. Teehee.

11. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think O'Neill's transformation was spurred by Daniel's speach about his men and the Abydonian kids not wanting to die, not the killing aliens thing. If anything, the killing might have allowed O'Neill to vent his self-hatred, but that's it.

Honestly, by the end of the season, Rush ends up being the action hero and the only character with real depth. The only problem with that is the fact that by trying to set him up as a villain instead of a morally ambiguous character, they automatically bias a big part of the audience against him right off the bat, which isn't what you want to do.

The first season does get a bit better, but most of the last five episodes are filled with utterly stupid shit, including stuff that makes you wish that the writers were put up against the wall and shot.

12. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SG-1 is my favorite, specifically seasons 1 - 5 which are just the best.
    Seasons 6 - 8 are ok, and seasons 9 and 10 are pretty bland with a few gems.

I've always had a soft spot for SGA, but it's not as good as SG-1.

I really want to like Universe, but it's tough; cliche characters and dubious story writing are starting to annoy me.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

SG-1 - partiularly seasons 2-4.

14. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SG-1 seasons 1-6 > Atlantis > ....................................... > SG-1 7-10 > SGU