Disruptor?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by T'Bonz, Mar 13, 2011.

1. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I figured this would be the perfect place to ask since I know that props are bought/made for the various productions.

Have any of you come across any model Romulan disruptors? I just want one that looks nice, it doesn't have to have lights or sounds. I didn't see anything while searching the 'net but I figure if this exists, you guys would know where to find it.

Thanks.

2. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

This eBay listing claims to have a fairly accurate replica of Nero's disruptor from the latest Trek movie:

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-TREK-XI-11...085?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b925b2b5

I'm not the seller, and I'm not into the latest Trek movie enough to recognize this as accurate or not.

I've no idea where you might find a TNG-like Romulan disruptor. On the other hand, in "The Enterprise Incident" TOS episode, the Romulans used Eminian-turned-Klingon disruptors. Here is a replica of one of those:

http://www.roddenberry.com/props/prop-replicas/tos-klingon-disruptor-built.html

3. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I've seen replicas of the TNG-style disruptor pop up in the collections of people on the Replica Props Forum; they're usually one-offs that the person got on eBay. I think you might just have to wait for an auction to show up, if that's the style you're after.

4. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

The RPF would have been my suggestion as well. I've got a couple of TNG era Romulan disruptors, and got both of them from prop-makers that hang out there.

5. T'Bonz

I'll keep an eye on both that and Ebay, where I see they have a Nero Trek XI weapon, but I'd rather have a TNG-era disruptor. I'm trying to keep the cost under $100 if possible, so I don't need anything fancy.

I have almost a year to find something, so hopefully I'll get lucky between now and then. It's a pity I can't make one myself but the "arts and crafts"-type gene seems to have been left out of me.

That RPF site is pretty cool; some of their skills in costuming are amazing. I'm jealous of the talent. :D

6. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Given the "boxiness" of the disruptor's design, and depending on your needs, you might be able to cobble something together with foam and Bondo.

This guy made a disruptor from Balsa wood: http://www.madwulf.com/PropsWeapons.htm

7. T'Bonz

LOL, you don't get it. Even a kiddie paint-by-number set is pushing it for me. I can dig out family roots back to the 1500s, but crafts and such are beyond my skill set other than a bit of sewing skill. I have made some costumes, but I'm not at the level of real costumers and with arthritis settling into the hands, I don't think that's in my future. I have nothing but admiration, though, for those who have that level of talent.

This is why I have to pay someone else who has those skills. It's a bit of a drag that there isn't some cheapo kit out there. That's the problem of not liking the popular alien of Trek. Bet Klingon disruptors are dime-a-dozen :lol:

8. USS Intrepid

You can buy static resin casts, that are a single piece. You'd just need to paint it.

9. T'Bonz

I'm assuming those are the white ones? I saw one on Ebay, but it was from a week or so ago and was expired. If not, have you seen them anywhere?

I could probably paint a model. It would involve lots of cussing, but it's doable. Creating an actual model out of wood or whatever is out of my league.

One guy on Ebay had a nice one a few months back. He still sells stuff, so I emailed to ask if he would be offering more in future, but he said he wouldn't be doing so. Ah well, the search continues.

10. USS Intrepid

The resin ones are often white, yes. You'd need to watch though, because the quality of casting can vary wildly. A really poor one would need a lot of work to finish.

I've haven't seen any lately, but posting a request on the RPF would likely get you a hit.

11. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

Aren't the Romulan disruptor rifles of TNG just modified Visitor rifles from V?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. USS Intrepid

There is a similarity, but I think that may be as far as it goes.

14. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Go on eBay, do a search (say, "Star Trek Romulan disruptor"), then save that search. That way, you'll get an email with the results whenever something shows up.

15. T'Bonz

^
    I usually check Ebay daily (mostly for books). Sooner or later, I hope, one will show up for a reasonable price.

16. T'Bonz

One finally showed up on Ebay and I won it. I have plenty of time to paint and finish it. I was the only bidder too, so the price was reasonable. :)

[​IMG]

17. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

It looks like soap.

18. T'Bonz

Funny that, I've never seen soap shaped like a Romulan Disruptor! :p

Hopefully it won't look like soap when I finish with it.

19. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

I hope you'll provide a visual record!!

20. T'Bonz

I will once I'm done.