Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Me too.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I always though the Kents of the comics and other movies were a little too idealized and perfect. It's only natural that they'd have doubts and be fearful of what the government or military might do if Clark's powers were discovered.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Actually, the way it was framed, I think he was trying to say something like, "If they find you out now, you'll never be able to save all those people in the future."

In other words: "The needs of the many..."

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I am with you on that!

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@CorporalClegg that's basically the idea of it. The scene is from Geoff Johns Superman: Secret Origin and he's basically telling Clark to be careful of his powers, because he doesn't want to lose him to the government. He's saying the line as a concerned father who loves his son. Kirk555555 has totally misinterpreted the comment as others have pointed out previously. He's not telling or saying Clark should have let the kids drown in the bus, but just to be mindful of his abilities and to keep them secret.

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Thirded. Pa isn't trying to raise a superhero, he's trying to protect his son.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Aw now he's sad

[​IMG]

Seriously I had alot of high hopes for him since he was from my home state. He even held a special screening of "Superman Returns" at the local cinema.

[​IMG]

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I still think he was a great Superman. It's just a shame he got more action in Chuck than he ever did in the movie.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Give him points for being a good sport. He did a "Superman" panel with Dean Cain at the Philadelphia Comic-Con last weekend.

Too bad they couldn't get Tom Welling, too!

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

That guy's just living off his 10 year salary(Plus residuals) from "Smallville"

He probably doesn't do those kinds of conventions

Sadly the track record for lead actors post "Superman" isn't good

Reeve- After "The quest for peace" his biggest movie was Children of the Corn. Then he had his horse riding accident.

Dean Cain- Forever stuck in tv movies

Welling- Did 3 movies during "Smallville" breaks and then nothing but "Smallville" and producing "Hellcats"

I'm hoping Cavill can break that trend. I really am! It's a really big hill to walk up.

11. Gojira

12. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

That trailer was about the same as the others. A lot of stupid stuff (I guess black/grey is the only color allowed on Krypton), more explosions to prove they can do just as many as Michael Bay (well, ok, no one can do as many as him, but they're definately trying their best), and Zod has a weird clear helmet that makes his head look like the weird clear heads of the Guardians from the live action Green Lantern movie. Zod looks pretty wimpy next to Russel Crowe, who looks like he could kill Zod with one hand with basically no effort. Still, it gets points for not showing Jonathon Kent talk about drowning kids. When it comes to Cavill, I'm getting used to him being Superman (even with the stupid costume) and I guess Crowe could be decent, although I still have no desire to see Jor El actually fight anyone. The trailer also had a lot of average looking fight/cgi scene clips to go with the explosions. Can a movie have an angsty/brooding main character and enough explosions to make Michael bay happy? It looks like MoS is going to try.

13. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Again, these are trailers. Not the whole movie.

Bored with you. Moving on.

14. Gojira

I have read recently you're only 22 and that explains a lot. Go watch the movie and watch yourself for close mindedness and then come back and make your pronouncements.

You keep stating the cognitive distortion of magnifying things out of proportion and jumping to conclusions. You think because we had a brooding Batman and because Nolan is attached to the film, and Clark is shown with a beard while he is trying to find himself, is synonymous with a brooding Clark. It is not!! All you are demonstrating is your ability to have distorted thoughts.

This is not a dark and angst filled movie. I view the trailers and I am finding a more traditional Superman than you see. I see a movie that shows Superman being a vision and symbol of hope.

15. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone who is trying to "find themself" is brooding and angsty. The whole movie supports that attitude. Everything is dark (every shot of Krypton makes the Batcave look like disneyland from a mood perspective, and every Kryptonian appears to only wear black), the characters are acting like jerks (wanting Clark to let kids drown just being one example) and everything just seems to be around to be somber. I'm not pulling this stuff out of thin air, the trailers are show casing the dark/angsty stuff constantly.

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

What is it with 22 year olds?

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, and no.

At least young folks who are "trying to find themselves" are looking.

18. Gojira

22 year olds can still developmentally be in adolescent stages where their thinking is very rigid and where they have a tendancy to thinking they know it all. Further, they can lack the insight to question their own thinking, or examine it with a level of objectiviety.

19. Gojira

Maybe you're just projecting your issues onto the film? I have had many clients who are searching to find themselves and for many of them it is often an exciting time and even an adventure as they uncover who they really are and who they want to be.

20. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At this point if someone is still posting the same critique of a film that hasn't been released yet.....I just don't know what to say. Why still post here? We all know what you're going to say.