Okay, how should I follow Twitter?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by AntonyF, Jan 4, 2010.

1. AntonyF

AntonyF Official Tahmoh Taster Rear Admiral

I've never gotten into Twitter. Sure I put TrekToday and CSI Files on there, but I've never used it myself. The one time I tried it, I hated it because I was just getting the general stream and didn't understand how to use it.

But I relent... there's enough people on there now to interest me in following some people.

Normally I enjoy research and trying programmes etc. but not today! I just can't really be bothered for a whole separate thing to follow, I'd like (if possible) to weave it into my general web trafficery. So what would you recommend for me to follow a few people on Twitter, and maybe do the odd reply tweet?

I have a computer.
    I have an iPhone.
    I have Trillian.

if I can find a unifed way to follow amongst the above, that'd be useful.

Thanks!

P.S. Peter Serafinowicz was the tipping point, and has made me want to get involved.

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Doesn't iPhone have a Twitter App??? I remember seeing one when I had my iPod Touch up and running...

I don't like Twitter...I see no point in it really. But there should be Apps for you to fallow it...for pc go to download.com and look around too.

3. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

Why do you need a "unified" way to follow twitter? If you must succumb to the absurdity of following people on there, I see no reason why the iPhone app and using their website on a computer won't suffice.

4. Small White Car

Small White Car Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Follow me and I'll send you some good names by DM when I get home.

/JeffCarpenter

Oh, and buy Tweetie for your iPhone. You won't regret it.

5. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

Easy -- DON'T follow it... and Life is a lot better.

Seriously, count me in as one of those who just don't "get" the need for Twitter. *shrug* To each his/her own, of course.

Cheers,
    -CM-

6. Small White Car

Something I don't get is the need for Trek BBS posters to always talk about how they don't "get" Twitter when it's nearly the exact same thing as posting on the Trek BBS.

But for some reason you all act like posting on a Star Trek board gives you a Brad Pitt level of coolness while the Twitterers are the nerds.

The reality is, they're both kind of nerdy. Sorry to be the one to break that news to you.

I guess everyone wants to feel superior to someone, even if there's no reason for it.

7. Colonel Midnight

^ To each his own nerdiness, like I said. I've known I'm a nerd for quite some time, so you're not breaking any news to me. ;)

Again, the whole "social networking" thing like Facebook and Twitter is just... lost... on me.

But hey, if you want to hear/read about when people farting, playing Farm Wars to level 3000, when (*gasp*) Tila Tequila gets pregnant, or some such silliness -- go right ahead. IDIC, right? :)

Cheers,
    -CM-

8. Small White Car

Well, no. IDIC is not usually posted at the end of a bunch of off-base stereotypes used as insults.

It would sound kind of rude if I said "Star Trek fan, eh? Well, as long as you enjoy being a 35-year-old virgin living in your mom's basement, go right ahead. IDIC, right? :-)"

The IDIC kind of comes off sarcastic in that case.

That's probably not accurate, right? Likewise I have never done any of the things you listed as social media "staples."

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I actually signed up on Twitter last night, and I have to say, I already have no desire to ever look at it.

10. Colonel Midnight

To each his own, man... That's how I define IDIC.

So, let's just agree to disagree, okay? Not here to pick a fight with you. *sheesh*

Cheers,
    -CM-

11. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Twitter, like most types of technology, is what you make of it.

If you're going to get an iPhone app for it, I agree with the recommendation for Tweetie 2.

12. aftermath

aftermath Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Love Twitter, hate Facebook with a passion.

Facebook wants to know everything about you. Friends, life history, job, even freaking religious views and hobbies. And now they want to make it all public to the world.

Twitter doesn't care about any of that. You sign up, you follow interesting people and you talk about cool stuff. Its fantastic. What ever subject interests you, you'll find a group of interesting people talking about it.

For the record, I use the free version of Twitterific on the iPhone.

13. Kataaran

Kataaran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A Week ago I would have agreed with you about Tweetie 2. Now though I'm finding Echofon nicer to use as it has push notifications for mentions and DMs.

14. AntonyF

AntonyF Official Tahmoh Taster Rear Admiral

I love Facebook for keeping in contact with friends, sharing photos etc.

Twitter I want to get involved in for having news updates from certain people.

I also got a new job, as of today, so I need to get involved with Twitter regardless.

I want some way, like RSS, to read and basically filter out read tweets. Do these iPhone apps support that?

15. muldwych who

muldwych who Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

But yet i see you have a twitter account? :guffaw:

16. muldwych who

muldwych who Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Also could follow me, i will add you guys :-)

17. MetalPants

MetalPants Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

According to Facebook, I am now Amish. If you'll excuse me, I need to go churn some butter.

18. Colonel Midnight

I do??? News to my ears, seriously... Must be another 'CM' out there.

Cheers,
    -CM-

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't you need a way to 'synchronize' the Twitter feeds if you follow it with more than one device?

20. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Not really. Any twitter aggregator you use is going to show a timeline starting with the most recent post. The posts are never deleted (unless the user purposely does so) so there is no need to synchronize anything. Each device/program can pull a twitter feed on its own.