Have you named your child after a sci fi character?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Prometheus, Jun 9, 2009.

1. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Since we are also talking about pets, I tried to name my late cat T'Pring. But in the end she was mostly called Cat, so it was kinda pointless.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

If I ever get married and have a son, Alexander is one of my top picks for a name, and I'd do my damnedest to persuade the missus to call him Xander, instead of the more typical Alex. My last name starts with an H, too, so that'd work out nicely. :D

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Our son's middle name is Archer.

I wouldn't say he was named after the character so much as that's where we heard the name and liked it.

4. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

And here I would have expected his name to be "Lerxst" or possibly "Syrinx".

5. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Well, his first name is Cygnus.

;)

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

My brother was named after Jeffery Hunter. Thats about as close as its got in my family. If I had a son I was thinking of naming him "John" after John Carter, John Clayton and John Lennon.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does Jadzia get confused when you call her "old man"?

8. Alpinemaps

Alpinemaps Commodore Commodore

That makes two of us! I lobbied hard for Miriya, but got nixed pretty early on by Mrs. Alpinemaps. Rook and Rand were also two names from Robotech that I really liked (they are a bit more unisex than Miriya - Miriya would strictly be for a girl).

That was as close as I think I was to a genre name. I do have a friend, whose brother was going to name his child either Anakin or Annika (after Darth Vader), depending upon whether it was a boy or a girl. It was a girl.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

On second thought, the problem with "Miriya" is that everyone would think it was "Maria."

10. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I figure my wife and I will get a cat in the future. I want to give it a sf/f name that can also be contracted to a regular name, so I don't have to explain it every time.

If I get a black cat, I intend to call it "Obsidian Disorder." Sidney or Cindy for short.

A gray cat would be "Mithraug", or Missy. (From Tolkien: "Mith" = grey, "raug" = demon).

I'm still working on names for other colors.

11. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Not a person, but when I was ten, my mom got me a white collie that she named Starbuck even before I had the chance to pick a name. This was right after we saw the Return of Starbuck episode of Galactica 1980 when it was new. I had this dog for a year until he ate the bottom of the fence and ran away. Two years later my mom got me a brown collie that could have been Starbuck's twin (except for the color), and again, she jumped the gun and named him Chewie before I could have a say. Chewie lived with us for 12 years before dying of dog cancer.

The irony is, I've never been much for animals, but I got quite attached to Chewie.

12. The Fatman

The Fatman Captain Captain

My old lady agreed to Elanor (After Sam's daughter in LotR), but then when it came time for the name certificate, she "forgot" and spelled it the traditional way (Eleanor).

13. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    When we first met my friend Webb, he was just another software programmer working in a cube-farm with a daughter named Ashley. Now, thanks to the influence of my friends & I, he quit his job and became one of the most in-demand editors/cinematographers in the Phoenix area. He's had 2 kids since then, Trinity & Zion, both names inspired by The Matrix. (He seemed totally ignorant of any biblical references to "Zion" when I asked him about it.)

You darn well better! I don't tolerate my fellow nerds marrying outside the faith!:p

14. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    It's probably for the best. It's one thing to use a sci-fi themed name that is incredibly easy to spell, like "Ezri" or "Jadzia" or "Arwen." But you're just asking for a lifetime of paperwork headaches if you give them a phonetically traditional sounding name with an unconventional spelling. (Tolkien inspired names are particularly bad in this respect.)

15. Prometheus

Prometheus Lieutenant Red Shirt

She is somewhat familiar with DS9 but I have not started with the "old man" thing .....yet.

16. The Fatman

The Fatman Captain Captain

Honey?? When did you sign up for an account here? :lol:

In all seriousness you (and my wife) are right... I just wanted to let my geek flag fly a little.

17. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Coworker with the last name of Clark named his first son Luke (yes exactly!) and his second son Kent.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Kent Clark? Oh, that poor kid. I think some parents forget how mercilessly children tease one another...

19. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

One of my fellow instructors is named "Shawna" after the character in "The Gamesters of Triskelion".

20. scorpius1701

scorpius1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I named my son "Predator" and my daughter "Alien" (Sigh) They just cant seem to get along...