Why do people judge gamers?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Civ001, Mar 10, 2014.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The thing is though there's little or no overlap between what makes a good video game story and what makes a good film story. Last Of Us would make a boring TV series, and 12 Years A Slave would make a terrible video game. The two satisfy very different needs, neither could possibly substitute for the other. Nobody would ever want to play Crime And Punishment and earn the 'Murdered Unpleasant Lady' trophy.

Even when they put a video game in the same world as a TV series they have to tell a different kind of story to make either work.

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

And games will settle in comfortably alongside film and TV as the medium continues to mature.

It's an 'as well as' scenario, not an 'either or'.

3. Roddenberry

Roddenberry Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Gaming is a solitary experience for me, unless someone is in the same room. No one in my family, except me, really plays and that exception also covers, for me, sci-fi.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It was so ridiculous, kittens died! But who actually made that claim?

Investing your free time into 40 hours of gameplay is like investing it into two seasons of a TV show. Production and marketing budgets of games are as big as those for summer tentpole films. And the return is even greater. And the trend that big movie stars turn more and more to TV shows is going to be repeated with big movie and TV stars turning to games. Some games's stories are so complex that you would be able to turn it into a season of episodes instead of a 2-3 hour movie.

And for me personally, gaming has already replaced television a great deal. So keep your condescending attitude someplace else. But ironically, it answers the thread question. Why do people judge gamers? Because the whole video game genre isn't taken seriously as a storytelling medium, even though it actually is.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

People are certainly putting more effort and paying more attention into video game stories, that's been true since Final Fantasy 7. But again, you don't play video games for the same reason you watch film.

If holodecks existed in real life, they wouldn't be holoprograms of novels, they'd be more like Mass Effect, programs where your decisions affect the story and you can live out your suppressed fantasies. Video games and movies satisfy different regions of your brain. One could never replace the other.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

True. Personally, I don't want my entertainment to be interactive, hence my preference for books and films and dislike of gaming.

7. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I don't think they do. At least, not as much as they used to.

I think there's more acceptance of gaming as a proper, adult entertainment medium than ever has been before.

It helps that todays bright young things are a generation now who've never NOT had video games around. Even the previous generation were people for whom games were new and shiny, but todays twenty and thirty year olds never had a time in their life where video games did not exist. And these are the guys who are entering other industries like movies and television, so some of that pop-cultural acceptance is beginning to sink through to the mainstream. Thank goodness, it's taken long enough. ;)

I think up until recently (maybe even still within an older demographic) the old perceptions did still exist. Certainly movies and TV have always been wary of video games, because they were for so long the 'new media' and were considered by some within the entertainment industry, particularly within television, to be a genuine threat as a medium of entertainment capital. So there was this broad distrust of video games from even within the entertainment sector, and that seeped out into the media (and the public) more generally.

But I do think there's definitely a greater acceptance of gaming now.

8. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And they're having little to no fun while doing it. :)

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

You can't assume that.

I've played games and find it little or no fun, whereas rock music, films, TV and particularly reading provide huge amounts of entertainment...

;)

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It's in some peoples nature to judge others, this is not limited to judging on them if they are a gamer or not. People who watch Sci-Fi can be viewed negatively as well, as well as a host of other interests if the person judging them doesn't share them or understand them.

Wouldn't it be a lot better if people accepted that others might have interests which they don't share. I'm not an avid sports fan but I accept that it brings enjoyment to others. So if I enjoy Sci-Fi hows that any different?

11. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Judging *video* gamers? Pft. Playing video games, even if it's just some phone-based thing like Angry Birds, is common these days. You haven't seen judgmental until you try to explain to someone that you play RPGs with pencil, paper, dice, and books! You kids and your computery games - you won't know what to do with yourselves when civilization ends and there's no power to run your computers and the ionization in the atmosphere wouldn't let them work even if there was! You'll be BEGGING me to run a game for you using the full 3.5 edition D&D library (no PDFs, real honest-to-Zarquon dead tree media) I have squirreled away in my doomsday cellar!

And I'll say, "Get offa mah lawn, SLACKERS!"

:rofl:

12. Irishman

Humor on my part. I thought the smile gave it away. :)

13. Irishman

Hey, look out your front window.

Yep, that's me, running through your petunias.

Whatcha gonna do?

14. USS Triumphant

15. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Roll for Initiative, punk...:evil:

16. USS Triumphant

You... you can roll up a character for my post-apocalyptic game. 1st level, 28 point buy. I'll give you directions later. ;)

17. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, please. I have more than enough portable systems and AA batteries to survive until I die of dehydration or someone kills me to eat my flesh. I'll be fine. And, unlike you, I'll have a source of light to play at night. Good luck rolling your d20s in the pitch black of that abandoned bomb shelter you're hiding in.

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Nah, I got the humour, it's just that I'm doggedly banging away at my point that some people just don't find video games entertaining. It doesn't make me judgmental or dull...my son doesn't read and plays a lot of games. Although I think he's missing out it's up to him. He's doing fantastically at school, so he's no dummy. Whatever...

He reckons I'm dull though. Which is how it should be.

19. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Who cares what people think about gamers? I'm in my 60s and fixing to retire and I can't wait for the extra time for gaming. Especially since now I'll be getting paid to sit at home on my ass. LOL

20. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the only game one plays are video games, I don't really consider them a gamer. When it was about obscure rules systems, hex maps, polyhedral dice, and the like gamers faced much stronger social stigma.