Musicians in the house!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Robert Maxwell, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Or, at the very least, people who dabble in playing with musical instruments.

I know we have some musicians here. Anybody working on anything lately? Picked up any new instruments?

I got a Korg Kaossilator and a KP3 recently:

[​IMG]

Still figuring out everything you can do with them, but I quite like 'em so far. I've traditionally done all my music on the computer, using programs like Modplug Tracker, Jeskola Buzz, Psycle, and VSTHost. I figured it was time to grab some bona fide hardware, and it's definitely been worth it so far.

I've made a few songs with the Kaossilator/KP3 duo but I think this is the best one so far.

What about you guys?

2. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, I make my own music. I've been playing guitar for years and writing the occasional piece on the computer from time to time.

Here is one such piece that I wrote a year or so ago: [click!]

It takes a while to get going, so turn it up and be patient. :D

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

"Musician" is probably a stretch, but I can play the guitar decently. Have a nice Ovation electric/accoustic I mess around with occasionally.

Used to play the trumpet in a jazz band back in school, but don't have it anymore, so have pretty much lost that skill...

4. Robert Maxwell

I like! Starts off really chill and gradually builds up. I enjoy songs like that. Very upbeat and easy to listen to.

5. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have had the same electric for nearly 20 years now, it's a Patrick Eggle LA Pro with the DOn Lace pickup removed and replaced with a high output Seymour Duncan JB Humbucker.

I'd really like to own more guitars, in the past i've owned a 1979 USA Fender Strat which was one of their poorest production years unfortunately, a few Japanese Squier Strats, a Peavey Predator and an Ibanez RG750.

I'd love to have the RG750 back, and I keep eyeing them on Ebay, but really it would be exceptionally frivolous because I'd still play the Eggle 95% of the time. It's become a part of me, i'd be heartbroken if it was stolen or damaged beyond repair.

6. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I tried to play yours but I don't have QT installed...

My meagre funds could only stretch to £75 for an Aria STG-003 Strat copy. Mind you, it's an excellent guitar for the price.

7. Robert Maxwell

You don't need QT, just an MP3 player (any one will do.)

8. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's loads of decent instruments around for reasonable money these days, I hear even Encore have made some guitars that aren't an embarrasment to the word instrument. The Aria looks decent enough, solid body for £75, i'd imagine most would be plywood at that price.

I'll listen to some of the tracks people are posting when I get home.

9. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I play drums, and have been playing as a hobby since 1987. I play mostly with concert bands (right now with a local community band), but I have played set on occasion. I've even played set with the concert bands when there aren't enough drummers, which is..... interesting.

Playing bass drum for a Memorial Day ceremony (*immediately* after running a 5K race!):
    [​IMG]

Playing for a picnic at work:
    [​IMG]

And here's one from 1996, when I was marching at Georgia Tech (I'm 5th from the left):
    [​IMG]

10. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I play a bit of guitar, mainly 70s rock, Allan Holdsworth-esque fusion and Wes Montgomery-esque jazz (though it's hard to get the appropriate tone with my gear without turning the treble right down and the bass right up). I keep the rig really simple, American Fender Strat + Morley wah + EHX Deluxe Memory Man + Laney GH50L/4x12 for blasting peoples ears off or a Laney LC15 for practising at sensible volumes.

I also play keys a little, but the hand coordination is so much different to playing a guitar and I don't practise as much as I should, so I'm horrible at it.

11. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I just got a '99 Fender Stat a month ago and a tube amp to go along with it. Been mainly an acoustic player since I owned my first guitar 4 years ago, so I am learning a lot of new stuff. Just learned my Pentatonic Minor Scale a few days ago, so having fun with that.

I've also played Double Bass for 16 years in both Symphonic Orchestras and Swing Bands. I picked up Bass Guitar as a sort of complementary instrument.

I also play drums, but I've been sans drumkit since it might get me kicked out of my apartment :p. I do miss playing them, though.

12. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

I play the piano but hardly ever have the time lately. I want to start up lessons again as I inherited my mother's piano books and most of them are too advanced for me. :alienblush: However, time and finances are not on my side.

My son has played the piano for a year and likes to tinker and make up his own tunes. My daughter, who plays the oboe and recorder, wanted, and got, a piccolo for her birthday, which she is teaching herself to play. I'd much rather spend my spare cash on lessons for them than for me. :)

13. Vulcan Princess

Vulcan Princess Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I sing opera. (Well, I used to, anyway, before law school stole my life.) I've dabbled at several instruments, but I'm not good at any of them. I'm kind of learning the acoustic guitar right now.

My current project is fairly ambitious. I've never written music before, but I've decided that I want to try and write a mass. I started last week, and I have about half of the Kyrie finished.

14. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a bit of a dabbler in guitar and drums, but my next purchase will be a bass.. My daughter wants to be a bass player (thanks to the band "Sick Puppies") so I think it will be a joint Christmas present.

15. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I am skilled at musical torture using either the violin or the piano as my instrument of choice.

16. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Been playing guitar for about 15 years, though I haven't have a chance to really pick it up in the past year or so.

Was in various bands back in the day, but nothing too recent.

Look forward to taking my good guitar out of storage, the one electric I have out needs some work that I haven't had a chance to get to.

17. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, I play punk and garage rock and do all of my own recording.

I have 6 vinyl releases out and have 4 more coming out this year.

18. Sorak

Sorak Lieutenant Red Shirt

I have been studying jazz drums for almost 7 years now. I play mostly indie and alternative rock though.