Honor Harrington comics

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Wadjda, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Wadjda

Wadjda Commander Red Shirt

If i want to read them, is it necessary to know what goes on in the books?

It has some gorgeous art.

2. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've only had a look at the first one and I'd say no, you don't need to read the books to understand the comics.

That said, I would recommend the books at some point (especially if you enjoy reading the comics). It's possible I'm biased though as I got hooked on the series years ago;)

3. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

There's comics? OOO!

4. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's a link to the site about the series
    http://www.tales-of-honor.com/honor-harrington

They have a preview for download there as a pdf.

ETA: - Forgot to mention that there is also information on an IOS and Android game there too. (I haven't played that or read more than the first issue of the comic yet)

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is the comic an original story? I could sworn that I read it was going to be an adaptation of the first book.

6. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

The Honorverse looks interesting, but for some reason it's always felt a little too literally Royal Navy in Space for me to fully get into it...

7. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Screw the preview, I stopped and got the first 4 issues on the way home. W00t!
    Weber really needs to be edited down to comic book bites, his books have become impossible chores to read for me.

JD - it IS an adaptation of On Basilisk Station, set in a framing story wherin an older Honor has been captured by Haven, and remembers the Basilisk story while in captivity.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've read the first three issues and have enjoyed them very much...and yes the art is incredible. I really like the framing style as well.

9. Wadjda

How many issues does the first arc take? I prefer to read entire arcs instead of issue by issue.

10. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

During In Enemy Hands, to be specific.

Five.

11. Wadjda

Thanks.

12. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I'm trying to figure out if the art is entirely computer generated, or if the artist just paints human figures that look like video game characters.

13. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I checked out the preview and found this on the third page:

"Wasted economically by its welfare state, Haven embraced an expansionist policy of military conquest to sustain its bloated system."

Ugh. Is there a lot of this Tea Party-style ideological preaching?

14. ATimson

Umm. Not in the comics. A bit more in the original books, but it quickly goes away.
    They end up going through multiple changes of government over the course of the series.

15. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

That was what I hated about the later books. Weber went on and on for hundreds of pages babbling about interstellar politics, to the detriment of character and action. The later book are mostly boring, with Honor herself barely showing up (at least it feels that way).

I'm hoping the necessarily condensed nature of comic storytelling will eliminate that crap, and keep the character and action.

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The Honor books are a bit of a strange animal. It has some pretty interesting world building but the allegory is so thick I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 19th Century turned up and sued the author for plagiarism.

So far the comic books seem to be doing a good job of showing an abridged version of the first novel without really missing anything significant...which really just shows how much waffle and padding are in the novels.

The framing device is a nice touch as it give new readers a sense that this will actually lead somewhere and also introduce an element of mystery.

Not wild about how they chose to represent either Honor or Nimitz. Unfortunately they seem to have given in to the temptation to make here conventionally attractive, where in the books she's described as more "handsome" than "pretty". Hell I think they even mention it in dialogue, but it's just not supported by the artwork. Admittedly my mental image of her is a little skewed as I was in the midst of reading the novels when I first played Mass Effect and decided to model my first Shepard after an approximation of what I thought she might look like. ;)

As for Nimitz...well....why exactly is he bald in this? Being furry is sort of one of his defining physical characteristics. What they've done looks like a cross between an shaved rabbit and a preying mantis.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  17. ATimson

She's described that way from Honor's POV. Not from other characters'. She's definitely shown to have a self-image problem in the books.

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^ She never struck me as the type to suffer from self delusion. Quite the opposite. I read her assessment of her own looks as a pragmatic, almost clinical one, not the result of self-image hang ups. As for what others thought, I felt it was pretty clear her charisma and confidence was what attracted most people to her, not her physical attributes.

I'm not saying I think she should be ugly by any means, just not quite so "pretty". She's a Queen's Officer after all, not a movie star. ;)

19. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I definitely pictures Nimitz as much cuter than the freaky gargoyle in the comic.

20. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Never got into the Honor Harrington books. Was always more into the Seafort Saga books. For those that have read both, how do they compare?