OSX Mavericks...

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Warped9, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've installed Mavericks and everything seems to work fine, particularly including SketchUp. So far so good.

I do have one glitch unassociated with SketchUp. The upgrade kicked me off my wi-fi network and I can connect using only the guest connection. But when I enter the password to reconnect to my primary network connection it won't go. I've tried the install disc and nothing seems to work. Argh!!!

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Well, my wi-fi network is all fucked up. I tried uninstalling, resetting and reinstalling my Cisco Linksys router with its Setup Cd and I get nothing but a message that it only supports certain OS. I get no other dialog boxes for installation.For now I've connected with an ethernet cable and tomorrow I'll try to fix this. If I can't then I'll just get a new router and start from scratch.

3. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I've got Mavericks running on a test partition (have done so with all the developer previews) and it's fine, runs all the apps I have (except VMware Fusion 5, which I haven't tried yet).

Will probably do a bit more testing then upgrade the primary partition in the next few weeks.

4. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Rebooting the router may help. Sometimes there's a physical reset button on it (note, this will reset the router's admin password as well) if power cycling isn't enough.

Whether or not tweaking the settings helps depends on what kind of access control you had on there.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yes, the router has a reset button and I tried that twice followed by reinserting the setup CD. I get nothing. Right now I can't even get the guest access. My iPad is connected by wi-fi in an unsecure setup and I will try to set up a password protection for it, but failing that I'll just scrap the whole thing for a new router.

Maybe...maybe it's just possible that Mavericks doesn't want to work with this older (2yers old) router, but I can't see why it shouldn't.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Reading around particularly on Apple's support and discussions site apparently I'm not the only one with this issue. Some others are having the same problem connecting to their WPA-2 personal. It might be something Apple has to fix.

7. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was going to mention those support forum posts, but I figured you were already reading them. I've seen many WiFi problems on newer equipment in the last few years—always during an upgrade. Perhaps Apple is using a different manufacturer's WiFi chips, or even a mixture of equipment from different manufacturers.

Again assuming you've considered this sort of thing, try all the variables on the router: 2.4 vs 5 GHz, different security vs none, etc.

8. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Note that 2.4 vs 5 GHz can have significant range implications.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

@Warped9: I would be remiss if I didn't put in my usual recommendation for Apple gear. In this case, the AirPort Extreme router (the one that looks like a white skyscraper :lol: ). I found the setup to be absolutely seamless and it works great.

Plus it supports dual 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz networks simultaneously. Your gear will connect to whichever one it can support, automatically.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm actually tempted to go with that. Is the Airport Extreme necessary or would Airport Express serve? The Extreme is twice the price of the Express I believe.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

^ The Express would probably be enough for your needs, unless you want 802.11ac networking.

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I run the iMac off the wi-fi, but since the router is right there it could just as easily be an ethernet connection (which is what it is presently). I use the wi-fi for my iPad (and iPhone when I'm home) and occasionally when someone visits like my brother or sisters which isn't too often.

But if this is a Mavericks issue then the question is will a newer router, even an Airport, make a difference and get around the issue? The other thing that gets me is that I can't get any dialog window off my Setup CD even after deleting the network and resetting the router and starting all from scratch as if new.

13. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

My mid-2007 iMac, much like Geordi, has just rolled under the closing door - so I've had a bit of an upgrade blowout these past 24 hours. Mavericks, apparently free upgrades to the full versions of Pages, Keynote, a bit of app updating, and iOS tidying up on both my iPod and my iPad.

I'm noticing my computer just getting a bit creaky, so I'll think about updating at some point - but the reality is I could probably get out another year simply by doubling RAM - which would be a temporising option.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

I have never had any network issues with Mavericks. That upgrade went absolutely seamless for me (as did the switch from my old AirPort Express to the new Extreme - the AirPort Utility made it totally smooth).

@Warped: Just in case something like this happens again, you may need the Ethernet as a backup, in which case it would be better to go with the Extreme. FWIW.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This is one of the reasons I have stuck with Apple since I started owning a computer: little to no fuss in setup and use. I've pretty much decided to go with an Airport.

Otherwise everything else seems to be working fine with Mavericks. Safari actually seems to work better with it as well. I had some concern about SketchUp's compatibility initially but it works just fine. The only thing I had to fix (sort of) was my copy of Little Snitch which allows me to use my CS4 Photoshop and Illustrator. I had to upgrade to LS 3.3 and renew my licence. Thankfully I became aware of it before trying out Photoshop and Illustrator or it could have been a big headache.

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yep, Safari is definitely working better with Mavericks than it did with Mountain Lion.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

I vastly prefer Firefox over Safari, not the least of reasons why is that Firefox will let you set cookies selectively (i.e. lets you block all cookies except from the sites you specify).

18. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think I was the only one in the cinema laughing during THE MATRIX when the Oracle offered Neo a cookie.

19. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was doing that with ML just a couple of weeks ago so I don't think its new.

Overall Mavericks seems to be good, no major issues and I think I'm going to like tabs in Finder.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I never upgraded to Mountain Lion when it came out, so Mavericks is my first update in a long time. I actually preferred the way Safari used to work. Something about it now is just off.