DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I flipped through Green Arrow #7.
    Did a horny 14yr old write the issue?
    Damn, it was just bad to flip through doing a scan read. I can't imagine struggling through the whole issue.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Anne Nocenti, possibly one on the worst writers in the history of comics.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I don't know why I found this interesting, but it's a tour of one of the LCSs I visit.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Dh8c2_o25l4[/yt]

5. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Only two new 52 titles today, Demon Knights and Frankenstein. Haven't read the latter yet, but Demon Knights has pulled off a good trick: it's all goofy fun until almost every innocent caught in the crossfire is brutally killed (and one gets sent to Hell and used to save the protagonists, one of whom killed him). This title remains the one I look forward to the most - Liked it enough to buy Saucer Country's first issue, too.

6. Admiral_Young

Just "Superboy" for me which I'm still debating about dropping or not, also am picking up "Batman and Robin".

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  7. Trekker4747

Just "Batgirl" for me today.

8. Captain Craig

^^^
    After you or someone reads Batgirl give me an update on that last page.
    I see about two ways to interpret that on my flip through of the book.

9. Admiral_Young

^ Feel free to give your interpretation...there are spoilers allowed in this thread you know :)

10. Trekker4747

None-coded spoilers for Batgirl #7:

First of all, I continue to really like this book mostly because I find Barbara Gordon to just be a fun character, I like this book on her inner-dialogue alone. Art continues to bee good though it had some iffy spots and there were a couple times when I had to flip back to see a detail that I missed that was a key point to the next panel(s) or story. (For example, I didn't now Barbara had made it into the party, I flipped back and saw her shadow in the far background in the previous page.) I also liked her encounter with Black Canary in this issue and haven't yet seen Black Canary's look in The New 52 and liked what I saw here.

Anyway the ending....

In "The Killing Joke" it's suggested that Barbara was raped after being shot by The Joker. I guess I had just naturally assumed it was The Joker who raped her but I guess that doesn't quite fit with his character. I'm guessing this man in the background she encountered in the sewer was her rapist. Or if she wasn't raped must have played some other big role in what happened that night since she's obviously more focused on him and what he did than The Joker -who was the one who actually shot her!

Still a good book and be interested to see where things go now.

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Have they explained how she's walking now?

12. Trekker4747

Not much beyond her having some procedure/treatment done in the intervening time.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Didn't they show a computer design for a nano-suit thingey back in Batman The Return 1 shot?

Batman and Robin #7: wow, did not see that ending coming. interesting. Patrick Gleason is showing his A game in this issue.

14. Captain Craig

See that wasn't a take away I had glad I asked for another opinion.
    I thought they might be trying to say that this baddie might be Joker disguised. OR worse that it wasn't Joker at all, it was this guy who shot/raped her. You know nu52 and all, if you're rewriting things this could be a rewrite.

15. Trekker4747

The Batman-themed books (which I'd say Batgirl is part of) mostly kept the previous continuity intact, I mean they didn't have to keep "The Killing Joke" in at all and just had Barbara Gordon be Batgirl and forget about the whole paralysis/Oracle thing. But Barbara shows a bit of apprehension in her battles and something about what happened to her is holding her back (and I doubt it's all in "survivor's guilt.") I suspect some sort of sexual assault occurred between her and this other guy (again, that one took place is pretty heavily suggested in The Killing Joke, as The Joker shows Gordon nude photos of Barbara during his captivity.) Maybe not full on rape with penetration (which may not have been possible given her injuries) but some-kind-of assault seemed to have taken place.

I doubt the other guy is The Joker since that would a)ruin The Joker's motivations in "The Killing Joke" and b)this guy doesn't have the characteristic facial structure of The Joker.

I guess we'll see next month.

16. Admiral_Young

I dropped the book long ago because it wasn't really explaining how she regained the use of her legs, which is important to me, not to mention Gail Simone not turning in her best effort....I'm guessing it has to do with Batman Incorporated and the file Bruce gave her in The Return. That isn't Gail Simone's best work at all. I was really looking forward to seeing Babs back as Batgirl but it was just meh.

17. Trekker4747

I'd say one has to be patient and some "world building" and telling a story has to come before giving answers. This issue addresses Babs dealing with some "survivor's guilt" that's caused her to make costly mistakes in her major fights ups to this point which is connected to her paralysis which in turn is connected to how she got the use of her legs back.

They couldn't just come right out of the gate and tell you how, it seems they're trying to establish some emotional turmoil in the character before getting into it. When you're only reading a dozen or so pages of a story once a month, yeah, things will move slow.

18. Admiral_Young

^ I know that Trekker. I stayed through the first arc. I've commented about the interesting things about the book way earlier on in the thread and the survivor's guilt angle, along with Babs readjusting being Batgirl again. I was expecting more from Simone though given her excellent work handling Babs in "Birds of Prey" and her work on "Secret Six". I stated my main reason for reading the book in the first place...I'm not sitting through bad writing to get my answer lol.

19. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Gail Simone jumped the shark awhile ago around the time of Brightest Day BoP.

DC needs to throw her off Batgirl pronto because it really is a terrible book.

Johns however has really improved dramatically on GL. The newest arc with the Indigos actually has peaked my interest.

20. Captain Craig

But, but...didn't you buy all of the first arc of that horrid Justice League?! ;)

Just messing around a bit. :techman: