TMP Re-Edit & Restoration Project - Ideas, Feedback, Advise

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Synnöve, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The main thing is that the nose is longer. The six big "fins" are actually just aft of center, which the Foundation model doesn't get right.

FYI: V'ger Lives!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  2. Synnöve

Synnöve Lieutenant Red Shirt

3. Maurice

The model was made in sections, and you're seeing it from 3/4 angles in those photos with a lot of perspective. In fact, notice that the entire nose section is missing in those photos.

One could do a perspective projection grid off the cross beams on the dolly track to make certain.

On second look. of the two drawings I posted my guess is the 3/4 angle one is the more accurate one to the final models, which does put the big fins more towards the center, but the whole thing is slightly slimmer than the Foundation model.

4. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Narrative-wise, McCoy's introduction (along with Illia's arrival and all that light-hearted stuff) should take place before the Rec Deck briefing.

• Kirk's scene in Engineering ends with Scotty's sad expression
    • Exterior shot of the Enterprise being readied
    • Kirk comes onto the Bridge in his duty uniform. Uhura informs him the transporter is repaired etc
    • McCoy comes aboard. Scene ends with his mutterings on engineers
    • Cut to Rec Deck viewer showing destruction of Klingons
    The only major continuity issue is that Kirk changes back into his Admiral's uniform for the Rec Deck briefing, then out of it again for the launch. But with the right edits (focusing on the drama of the departure, the ship powering up for the first time) this needn't be too jarring. Indeed, why shouldn't he put his glad rags on for a meeting with the entire crew?

As for Kirk being seen as weak with his "I need you" - well, he is weak; he's bullied his way back onto a ship he now barely knows, alienated what should be his closest ally (Decker) and is utterly alone. It's a nice moment of honesty from our former captain.

5. Synnöve

I'll try and edit that together and see what comes of it. I have a feeling it won't flow very well due to some pacing issues, but we'll see.

When I did my rough cut of the film I edited out the "badly" part of the statement as it seemed a little too ham laden, but I did keep the I need you.

6. Maurice

"The more they overthink the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain."

I think you're creating problems that don't need fixing re the order of these scenes.

7. Synnöve

You're probably right, but I'm still interested to see how it works out. Won't take too long to throw together a test.

By the way, should this thread be moved to the fan productions sub forum?

8. Maurice

Possibly. But this is more the forum where you're likely to get feedback on the details of TMP than you would in Fan Productions.

9. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree - with both of you! And it would certainly be lovely to see my thought-movie take physical form. This is place for experimenting, isn't it?

10. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

To the OP, sorry if I didn't see this somewhere in the posts, but I'm wondering if you have a timeline for this project. Are you targeting a completion / release date? I'd love to see what you come up with as a product of this work!

11. Synnöve

*rant*

Paramount needs to stop letting monkeys put together their media products:

-On the Blu-Ray, the deleted scenes are hard encoded as telecined 29i frame rate, this makes them unusable for my purposes as they have a lot of combing artifacts.

-This isn't too much of a problem because the DE NTSC DVD has the deleted scenes encoded progressive with pull down flags, therefore they upscale well.

-The main film on the DE is hard encoded as telecined 29i framerate, therefore I cant upscale it and reinsert scenes from it without them looking awful. This means I need to spend even more money and purchase the PAL version as it will most likely be encoded at 25fps progressive, which will be easy to convert to 24fps (and have higher resolution too).

-The trailer and snippets of the documentary they put together for the blu-ray show the film before they took their DNR and contrast increasing tools to it, and show how the film should have been with a light layer of natural film grain, and image that doesn't look blown out and over saturated, or randomly flat. It's sad that a transfer of the trailer film looks better than the final product.

-To totally prove Paramount's incompetence, here is a still from the drydock scene that they managed to mess up somehow as the turning of reds to blues wasn't in the original transfer:

[​IMG]

I just cannot fathom how such shoddy work can be passed off as "remastered".

*end rant*

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if that was done on purpose to keep overzealous faneditors from rebuilding the SLV. Sort of like how in 5.1 music remixes the vocals are never completely alone in the center channel...

13. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I am the remaster of my own fate.

Naah, sounds like shit.

14. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

This thread makes about as much of a case for Paramount doing one more TMP remaster in high-def as any. It really should not fall upon the fans to do any of this.

There was a time when nobody ever thought TOS would get remastered, let alone TNG, but here we are. Not TMP is the most glaring oversight, since veryone's moved on from DVD to Blu-ray.

15. Synnöve

I'm happy to post my finalized restoration of the Enterprise Reveal shot.

*posted wrong version, will update soon*

The youtube version is highly compressed, so I recommend the MP4 if you have a fast internet connection. I was able to restore a large chunk of lost shadow detail, and add film grain back in to the picture.

Notice that the drydock hasn't disappeared in to the background, and the deflector dish doesn't have a black hole in it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  16. Synnöve

17. Synnöve

*takes on professor's voice*

Good news every one! I was able to procure a copy of the HDTV broadcast of TMP. This will greatly help with restoring picture detail lost when the "restoration" was done, as well as assist with the color timing. The broadcast seems to have a large amount of red push but that can be compensated for.

18. pfontaine2

pfontaine2 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I offered to help a few pages back and instantly got clobbered with lots of overtime at work. Again, I have decent 3D and compositing skills so I'm happy to have a go at anything you'd like. I can certainly try the deleted Tram scene but you mentioned a slight change of angle. Do you have a sketch or simple storyboard of what you'd like to see?

19. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

How about some touch up on the ultra form fitting uniforms. I'd be interested in seeing any version of the movie where I don't have to awkwardly avoid looking at Decker's unit.

20. Synnöve

Hello again!

Page one, post six shows the sort of shot I'd be interested in, with the frame opened up to show the top of the hanger, a little more of the city, and maybe shore.

*EDIT* Here is a better shot that shows a little more of what I'm after:

[​IMG]

The other SF shot I'd want to construct would be one inspired by the director's cut SF establishing shot...

[​IMG]

...using this photo as a base, with the tram station, restored beach, and futuristic city as shown in the concept art.

http://photos3.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/1/0/e/2/highres_130264322.jpeg

While it does look a bit unprofessional I don't really care about it. Honestly Ilia's robot outfit is something I have way more of a problem with than the crotch situation (but that's obviously impossible to fix).

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    aridas sofia likes this.