Casual Artwork Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by TedShatner10, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Today I started a Water Color class at the YMCA, it runs for 6 weeks. I have worked in acrylics before but never in water color. Here is the first piece I accomplished today at the class.

[​IMG]

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I like it. Nice job.

3. think

think Like Spock Premium Member

I knew there was an art thread if i looked for it :)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZlVhsbygUQ[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22K4ydikKA[/yt]

4. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

I'm starting my art illustration course this evening and getting excited & nervous.

5. cooleddie74

Good luck and all the best!

6. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Sounds fun! I hope you have a good time!

7. TedShatner10

OK, I've gone to the first session of my illustration course at the City of Bath College (tutored by Sholto Walker) and I've been given assignments modelled on actual illustration commissions, which makes me nervous and excited.

The three assignments I may be tackling are two book covers for Lewis Carol's Alice in Wonderland, George Orwell's Animal Farm, and three storybook illustrations for Lewis Carol's The Walrus and the Carpenter.

Good luck me!

8. Tom Hendricks

I'm taking a Water Color class at the Y and this week we needed to bring in something as inspiration. I brought in a picture I took when I was in Aruba of a sunset that I have always loved. I thought it would work out well as a water color piece. The first half of the class is instruction, second part actual working on your piece. We were taught the rules of thirds this class and to sketch out the main parts for something to follow when you paint. Here is my inspirational picture and the sketch before applying some paint. I will follow up next week with a painting picture.
    [​IMG]

9. TedShatner10

Ok, here's something I did using New Art Academy. Eventually I'll invest in a proper digital art pad, but the results are adequate:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. thestrangequark

Here is a quick sketch I did today:
    [​IMG]

I haven't drawn a lot lately, I'm trying to make more time for it.

11. cooleddie74

Damn, you guys are talented. Nice work, both of you! I need to scan and post more of my own drawings.

12. TedShatner10

Thanks for the feedback, cooleddie74, and thanks for posting your most recent work, thestrangequark (drawing very young kids and infants is bastard hard).

I'm developing a long term strategy of joining a multi-year art course (more things to do, more time than the relatively short foundation course I've taken up) and instead of blowing cash on the (IMO) dull looking new game consoles like the PS4 or XBone, decide to invest hundreds in a Wacom (later this year or early next).

13. thestrangequark

They're actually one of my favorite things to draw! I did this scribbly thing of my nephew just now:
    [​IMG]
    I've been think of getting a Wacom myself for awhile, but I've just never taken much to digital artwork...I just love the feeling of putting pen and pencil to paper and paint to canvass too much.

14. cooleddie74

I'm a pen, pencil and paper purist myself. I have friends who relish using software and digital methods to create their art and it's pretty great, but I'm not very acclimated to using computers to flesh out my ideas and it takes me less time to use conventional handheld art utensils to create something than it does a mouse, touchscreen, keyboard and other more high tech devices.

15. TedShatner10

I'm more used to doing physical art as well, but digital art must've gotten popular in the past decade due to the lack of clutter and mess (and perhaps a bit quicker if you've got a deadline for a commission). I found that New Art Academy and the Inchworm app on my year old Nintendo 3DS are both great digital art equivalents of toddler training wheels before I move on to getting a proper art tablet.

16. thestrangequark

Here is another quick sketch I did of my little nephew. I'm having trouble sleeping tonight, so drawing instead:

[​IMG]

17. cooleddie74

Very nice! Drawing in the middle of the night is a feeling I completely understand and have often embraced.

18. Tom Hendricks

I'm sorry for your loss of sleep but I'm glad we get more of your art.

19. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

20. TedShatner10

I stayed up all night doing three or four preliminary drawings on A4 for my illustration course.