AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

She also didn't get a lot of development in IM2, since she was basically being introduced for The Avengers. Since this one was intended to be her first major role in the MCU, it makes sense for her to get a fair amount of development.

I remember around the time Avengerse came out I read an article that talked about how they had a lot more stuff with Cap adjusting to the present than what we saw in the movie, but they decided to save it for the next solo movie. So it sounds to me like they are, or at least at one point were, planning on addressing Cap's adjustment to the present in The Winter Soldier.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here. The sequence was beautifully done but The Avengers was pretty heavy duty with the angst as it was - Banner hiding, Natasha's dark past, Hawkeye mind controlled - probably couldn't afford anything else that interfered with getting to the action as the audience for a summer Hollywood blockbuster expects.

And if there's no chance to follow up Cap's arc like Banner/The Hulk's was followed up in the same movie, it would just introduce a confusing thread to an already jam packed story. I hope his next standalone movie does overlap with The Avengers enough that scenes like that can be used at the beginning.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

PS, the clip is still up here, for now...

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

That was actually quite moving and poignant. Shame it couldn't have made it into the film, because it does further explain his hostility toward Tony Stark, and sets up the scene with the waitress at the end.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Someone remember when the part with him boxing occurs? Because it would be right before that. It's very early. It might weaken the pace after the chase scene in the beginning, but there were a couple of character scenes soon after (Stark underwater is one, although it's at least plot-related).

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yeah, it's early on when Fury is first assembling the team. I think it fits with the other character-building scenes at the time (Black Widow's methods of reverse interrogation, Tony and Pepper's romantic night in, what was left with Cap's boxing scene, etc.). I'm sure there were perfectly justified reasons for leaving this scene on the cutting room floor, it's just a shame because it really is such a downbeat, poignant scene that sets up Cap's anachronistic situation and contrasts with the rest of the film nicely.

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, Black Widow saying, "I'm working," on the phone, or whatever her exact words were, was a hoot.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

After thinking about it, I think it would have worked. I figured out why it was cut, though.

Iron Man's scenes actually pushed the plot (at least slightly). Black Widow needed her scene because she didn't get a movie. Banner had to basically be reintroduced. Captain America had a movie and is getting a second one, so the character development scene was less necessary. Sucks because I don't think it would have hurt (and would have been nice), but it was the least necessary of all the character development scenes. I suspect Stark's scene was also kept because it's Robert Downey Jr., but there's at least an independent justification.

9. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

I don't think it would have hurt to have the scene included in the movie, but I can understand why it was cut as well. My hope is that the next Cap movie will at least somewhat explore what it's like for him trying to adjust to modern times and maybe have a similar scene. Heck, it's possible this scene, at least the part with him looking at the files of his dead friends and then coming across her file to discover she's still alive, would work as it was filmed.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The Phase One Box set DVD/BR is still coming....it's just going to be Spring 2013 and now with slightly redesigned case.

This is still favorable as they can now tie the release into the launch of Phase Two with Iron Man 3 likely weeks away with it's May release. Assuming the set is released in April. Plus it increases the likelhood of more double dipping. If you were just going to get the set in September you probably weren't going to get the single disc or 2-disc set even. Now though, with a 6 month or so gap the cash-in on double dipping is back in play. Even though you could argue they weren't going for that by timing the set release with the single disc release. It's a win/win for them.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Good news for those that preordered the Phase one Bluray set on Amazon and still haven't cancelled.

You will be getting a free copy of Avengers on Bluray/DVD.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's about display.

Pretty boxes.

Maybe life would be cheaper if they allowed you to buy the pretty boxes separately.

And you can just fill them up with your old Paula Abdul cds so that it seems to your dinner guests like you have a robust collection that collectively might cost the same as a band new sports utility vehicle.

13. Captain Craig

I saw that Amazon news this morning, wish I had pre-ordered it now.

Did anyone here pre-order the set?

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Has the movie been edited for video release?

It seems to have been in the UK, at the very least.

If so, then I say "Lame!" Even if the reason is in to some way...

...pave the way for Coulson's return.

Next thing you know, the SHIELD agents guns will be replaced with walkie-talkies. :scream:

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't think I like that. Even if it is for the reason you mention in your spoiler, it still seems kinda weird.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It can't be that. All the reviews say the US version was unedited.

Also I heard that Disney is in trouble with the ratings people from those countries, since they released a different version that wasn't in theaters by cutting that part out.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, Agent Coulson was actually put out of commission with a walkie-talkie? Makes sense.

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Greedo did it.

19. Captain Craig

But did Loki shoot first...that's all I really want to know.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Disney under fire after UK 'Avengers Assemble' DVD, Blu-ray release