World War Z officially a train wreck

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sojourner, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

All I saw was that link with some random footage on a nightly news magazine.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I know this was just a preview for the trailer, but what we saw of the zombie's is just strange. I don't think I've come across a zombie story with them acting the way they appear to in this.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

It reminded me a bit of I Am Legend.

4. Faldor

Faldor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The JMS script that got leaked last year was a really good adaptation. In that version atleast Pitt's character Gerry Lane is the interviewer from the book.

The first act is your typical Zombie apocalypse then after the first twenty min or so it skips to two years and picks up the books format of travelling around interviewing people and seeing their flashbacks.

5. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

6. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

:lol:

7. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Slow moving zombies never made sense to me that they could successfully overrun the entire world including the national guard and the military. Also, too many people in the US own a firearm for even a mass number of slow zombies to overtake a population center IMO.

So, faster zombies are much more believable as a plague that over takes the majority of the population.

That said, I agree - making them faster than the flash would be a dumb mistake.

As someone else said, I'll wait for the real trailer before I pass judgement but I hope they don't go the route of superhero zombies because that would ruin for me the suspension of disbelief in the storyline.

8. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

How should a zombie behave then?

9. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Realistically. You know, like real zombies do.

10. Deckerd

I just thought I would ask y'know, because the arguments seem a little like complaining when phaser beams are the wrong colour or vampires sparkle in sunlight.

11. Bob The Skutter

I have never seen a vampire sparkle in real life.

12. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I like how walking dead handles them. The "fresh" zombies are faster than ones who have been around a while.

13. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

This isn't an aesthetic difference.

14. Deckerd

What isn't?

15. Bob The Skutter

It suits the story they want to tell. Zombies used to be creeping death, now they're a fast spreading pandemic. Things change.

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

The Zombie behavior in that clip appears to suggest them working together strategically as a group, which would inolve the Zombies being intelligent. Intelligent Zombies using strategy, goes overboard for some of us. Zombies should be driven by hunger and instinct, and without the ability to strategize

17. Bob The Skutter

Depends on the story in the film doesn't it? There may very well be a reason for that within the film that you can't discern from a 40 second clip.

18. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or, it's a great visual teaser for the film but will have absolutely nothing to do with the actual plot other than Brad Pitt is in the film. ;)

19. Deckerd

Still don't understand why that automatically makes it a train wreck, official or otherwise.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you ever read Wet Work by Philip Nutman? It has zombies that are like that. Some of them are the standard slow shuffling Romero type, some are the fast Zack Snyder type, and some of them retain all of their intelligence and personality and (hunger for living flesh notwithstanding) are basically indistinguishable from the living. They can think, talk, drive cars, put on new clothes, organize ambushes using guns, etc. Those smart zombies even take over the government, and rename it the United States of Hell...