Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, they've taken Tobias' original model and made some very cool modifications. We'll have a feature on this in the coming weeks.

2. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

So, if I'm interpreting you correctly here, you're saying...

[​IMG]

That would certainly explain a few things, like the window pattern being different than the 4-foot miniature.

3. FrontierTrek

It may be CG, but it's not the modified model I'm referring to.

4. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TrekCore (FrontierTrek?) mentioned in the Redemption trailer comments section that:
    Are there any specific examples of this? Which mistakes in S3 have been corrected, and will these corrections appear in future disc releases as well?

5. FrontierTrek

They are very minor issues and small in number (1 or 2), unnoticed by 99.9% of viewers. But CBSD are perfectionists and wanted to correct for future distribution.

6. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

There's a variation of this flyby in which the Enterprise drops out of warp that was used from Season 4 onwards. On the sampler blu ray version of the Inner Light a CG substitute was used. Is this one of the shots that couldn't be found?

7. FrontierTrek

That's correct. Don't forget, if just one pass can't be found, the shot is rendered unusable and has to be recreated.

8. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Excellent, I know it came under some fire when the sampler was released but I quite liked that replacement shot (I assume CBS-D have upgraded it since?) and they've modified Tobias' model to appear more like the 4 foot model? I cannot wait to see your feature on this :techman:

Considering all the passes that are required to assemble even a single shot its amazing on how few occasions CGI has been needed as a substitute.

9. FrontierTrek

Yes, it makes sense they are having more issues as time progresses due to the increase in complexity of the shots used. The new model is stunning, it had me totally fooled!

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Watched Sarek for the first time in awhile, and it's a very solid episode. I remember as a teen being somewhat bored with the lack of action, but now I find the tremendous acting from Stewart and Leonard is MORE than enough to carry the story.

Although I have to say, in HD you really notice just how painted on Sarek's makeup is, and it can be awfully distracting at times. In fact you notice that kind of thing with a lot of the makeup now, especially with the aliens (I shudder to think how painted up Quark will look in HD when we get to that point).

11. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Pardon my ignorance, but if all but one of the passes for a particular model shot cannot be located, couldn't they just recreate the missing pass with CGI?

If it's just the warp engine or deflector pass, that doesn't seem like a big deal. HTV left off certain passes or misaligned them from time to time, and it wasn't a dealbreaker.

12. FrontierTrek

I asked the same question, apparently not - it is just too difficult to isolate a single missing pass and render it in CG. It's all or nothing

13. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

One thing to bear in mind is that you're not just talking about painting the nacelle grills blue for each frame (which would be hard enough to do right on a moving object). Those lights interact with the surface of the model in many subtle ways, and trying to recreate that pass in one frame would be hard, never mind getting dozens of frames to look identical.

I'm not a CG artist, but I think it'd be much easier to just start from scratch.

14. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

15. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The viewscreen shot of the Uxbridge home - in the original, it was just a fuzzy green square. In the remaster, you can clearly see the house and the cement border.

Is the house element new? If so, that's some incredible attention to detail. :)

16. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

So I finally got season 3 (Amazon's "one day" delivery turned out to be four), and am astounded so far. I've only watched Evolution and The Ensigns of Command, but it's such a revelation. The colours just blast out of the screen, and the whole thing seems so much more vibrant than before. I'm noticing things I've never noticed before, like the colour of the carpet on the bridge, and those purple chairs in the observation lounge. Purple! Not fuzzy grey after all...

The lighting on the Sheliak ship in Ensigns of Command looked stunning, really feature-film standards. I love the mysterious look of the Sheliak itself, though it's a shame they had to use that rather crummy ship the smugglers had in Star Trek III. The space shots in Evolution looked superb. So cool how much work was done way back in the eighties, and how well it holds up today.

17. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the whole planet might be new.
    The matte painting of the surface looks different, too. Trees in different places.

Ex-Astris has started putting up observation articles for S3 now:
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/observations.htm

:)

18. FrontierTrek

19. Kirks_Flying_Wig

Kirks_Flying_Wig Commander Red Shirt

First impressions: Once again, the impressive bold colours, the sharper models of the Lysian ships, the (presumably recreated) soliton wave effect, and the beautiful exteriors from "Time's Arrow". I'm personally a bit disappointed that the "firecracker" explosion was left in for "Cause and Effect" though.

20. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral