Between thirty and thirty-five million dead in the Eugenics Wars

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Noddy, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Well, Khan and his siblings didn't have much luck creating their own Augments in the books. So they must have been made by Chrysalis, I suppose.

2. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Actually, the process by which Augments are created appears to vary drastically between the novels and TV episodes. In the books they seem to gestate normally in the womb, and don't require a "father", whereas the TV episodes depict the opposite. Take Udar, for example.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^But the Augments in the ENT episodes were born in the 22nd century, maybe 170 years after the Chrysalis Augments. The embryos are the same, but the methods available for gestating them have advanced in the interim.

4. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Ah, but they were said to have been left over from the Eugenics Wars, placing their origin in the era of the books.

5. Christopher

^Yes, that's what I'm saying. There is no difference in the embryos themselves. It's just that by the 22nd century, it was possible to gestate them in artificial wombs rather than surrogate mothers.

6. Noddy

Noddy Captain

I admit that it's been a long time since I last read Greg's books, but I'm pretty sure the augmented embryos were never "injected" into the wombs of surrogate mothers to gestate; they started off in the womb like ordinary foetuses.

Also, in the books, I don't think they required "fathers"; they could be conceived by just one parent. But please correct me if I'm misremembering.

7. Christopher

From The Eugenics Wars Book 1, Chapter 2:

So yes, they were implanted in surrogate mothers (who made no genetic contribution), and they did need fathers in the sense of sperm donors.

And it goes on to say:

8. Noddy

Noddy Captain

I'm guessing the 1800+ embryos were stashed away somewhere in secret by Dr Kaur?

9. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Does it really matter? Due to there nature, the books and TV programmes will be inconsistent.

10. Noddy

Noddy Captain

But the more the books can be made consistent with the TV episodes, the more they can still be enjoyed, IMO.