Does the Nu Ent have Quantum Slipstream?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by P0sitr0nic, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I'm pretty sure that's not why he was angry.

Also, if S31 confiscated it, shouldn't it have been a huge shock when they found it was used? Wouldn't the idea that technology is confiscated and not allowed to be used be a huge red flag?

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"There are plenty of straws. How about Starfleet confiscating my trans-warp equation, and now some madman's using it to hop around the galaxy?!"

Scotty's the guy who identified the device in the wreckage of Khan's jumpship. I'm sure if someone else found it and realized what it was, there could have been something of an outcry. But he brought it right to Kirk who brought it straight to Marcus.

3. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I don't understand how you can confiscate an idea though. And that's pretty shady behavior for Starfleet if they took it, didn't allow it to be used, and used it.

Regardless, the original point is moot because if Starfleet had the technology, and it was used by one of its operatives (or Section 31's), then nothing really did stop them from physically beaming over the torpedos.

4. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the Nu Ent has a warp drive, not a quantum slipstream drive. Quantum slipstream is too complicated a term, warp is much nicer and tender on the tongue.

What's more, they seem to get faster from Qo'noS to Earth than from Vulcan to Earth in ST09. Spock Prime and Kirk walked for at least a few hours on Delta Vega, not accounting for the time Scotty needed to modify the transporter. That's a long time that the Enterprise was moving in the wrong direction, which they made up for with a half of a warp factor, and it is also a long time for which the Narada was moving. That's incompatible enough with going from Qo'noS to Earth in under ten minutes, so looking for explanations is an invitation for a headache. I don't like headaches.

Somewhat ironic. Dash with an insane speed around the galaxy, and you might actually see the stars move as they did in the TNG era.* Instead, both with the quantum slipstream drive and in nuTrek, the stars are hidden behind this tunnel of light, so you can't see them.

* Checking with Celestia, going 50 light years in a couple of seconds, seems to produce similar but slower effect. Going 500 light years in a couple of seconds, and it's about right. I should think that if you saw the stars moving the way they did in TNG, you'd know something's not quite right with the speed.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  5. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I think that when the Enterprise was returning from Vulcan the ships was damaged and they couldn't go as fast as normal. Remember how Chekov said "If Mr. Scott can get us to warp factor 4...". Amusingly though, the HUD on the viewscreen said that they were going faster than that.

6. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I believe this was because Marcus wanted the Enterprise to get caught by the Klingons so that it would start a war.

7. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

THIS is the most intelligent and rational explanation in this thread or any other like it. If you MUST reconcile it within the bounds of the fiction, consider the writers part of the Q continuum; the gods change the physics to suit their purposes.

8. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This post just makes me ponder what the heck Starfleet/the Federation did with all that technology that our heroes have found over the years, from TOS to Voyager. Sure, the novels always say that they're tucked away, but that's not really canon. Surely there are results from the Dyson Sphere expedition force, or the Planet Killer being reverse-engineered. Voyager bought super-powerful torpedoes from an alien vendor, but the only time we ever saw it was the test fire.

The TNG crew appropriating nanite technology with the possibility of using them against the Borg is one of the few times I can think of where previously found technologies and discoveries were even mentioned again, as well as the Iconian gateways returning in DS9.

Of course, the simplest answer is that the writers had other ideas, and that the episodes with those technologies were rarely ever meant to have follow-ups. But still, even just between Kirk and Picard, Starfleet should have quite a collection.

9. F. King Daniel

I want to know why nobody uses the serum from "Plato's Stepchildren" which gave Kirk and Spock telekinesis!

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

"Top men."

I want to know why the galactic barrier isn't producing a steady stream of Gary Mitchells!

11. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They could literally fix that plot hole by saying that Starfleet brings in so much super-advanced alien tech that they simply can't research all of it or something. Starfleet isn't XCOM: they haven't really shown any ability to rapidly reverse engineer, duplicate, and improve upon unknown technologies on a consistent basis.

Then again, you could argue that the Federation's general lack of foresight probably had something to do with it.

Because no one wants a stream of megalomaniacs with god-like powers.

Also, doesn't the barrier kill like most of the potential Gary Mitchells in the process? Talk about a waste.

12. Set Harth

I want to know why this more militarized Federation doesn't have cloaking devices.

Seriously, the Federation needs to get cloaking devices before the 25th century this time around! The last two films didn't even mention the technology at all.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do cloaking devices even exist yet? Ignoring Enterprise, which Braga actually admitted was a continuity error and the later seasons ignored, cloaking technology won't be developed until the 2260s, and it's only the 2250s. As a civilian mining ship, Narada wouldn't have been equipped with a cloak and therefore its presence shouldn't have accelerated the development of cloaking technology by anyone.

14. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Weren't they mentioned in the Kobayashi Maru scene?

I might be mixing that up with the deleted scene where the Klingons captured the Narada though.

15. The Wormhole

It would make no sense if Klingons have cloaking devices given in the Prime Universe they got them from the Romulans in the technology trade that resulted in the Romulans using D-7s.

16. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

17. F. King Daniel

The Romulans got D7's from the Klingons, but that the Klingons got cloaking devices in exchange is pure fanon. Like the Klingon Bird of Prey being a Romulan design (fanon stemming from an early STIII script where it was the case), the idea that Klingons got their cloaks from the Romulans is obsolete.

Maybe they got them from the Xyrillians, along with their holographic tech.

18. Set Harth

There's that too.

19. The Wormhole

Still, there is no indication in TOS that Klingon ships could cloak. The first time we see Klingons cloak is in Trek III, so it's not that much of a stretch to assume they couldn't prior to that movie.

Besides, the Klingons must have gotten something impressive in return for their starships, otherwise I can't see them giving top-rate ships of the line to a rival power. Cloaking technology fits that theory.