The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

you really should feel lucky. i remember looking everywhere for those figures. i've only seen em are at specialty shops and flea markets for $40-$60.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    If it weren't for my friend's small local toy and collectibles shop I would have had to order many of these harder-to-find EU and other figures online and for vastly inflated prices. I'd rather pay $15 at his shop than $50 online, and that may or may not include shipping.

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

For a moment there, I was confusing Darth Malak with Darth Malgus, but I remember Malak now. I picked up both him and Darth Revan at a local Target in my area years ago. I think there was a sale on Star Wars figures at the time, so both were marked down around $5 or $6 bucks. Didn't know who the characters were, but they were Old Republic-era Sith Lords and that was good enough for me.

4. cooleddie74

I picked up a VC12 Darth Sidious (Revenge of the Sith) from the toy shop for only $5 one weekend, and that was when the VC12 Sidious was still commonly going for $40 or even more on eBay (and the silver foil/Chase variant even higher). That particular Sidious from the second wave of the Vintage Collection tends to demand some impressive prices on the secondary market because it was one of the most difficult of the early Vintage figures to find at retail. I've spoken to several collectors who either never saw him in stores at all or - if they did - spotted just one or two and then he disappeared.

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Oh no. I remember seeing that figure before--it was at my local K-Mart where figures tend to pop up quite some time after their initial street release--but I passed on it for some reason (I think I was cutting back on Star Wars figures at time).

6. cooleddie74

If you see him again for something approaching a reasonable price, get him.

One of the best Emperor/Sidious action figures ever made.

7. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

The middle of another month means another figure from Club Infinte Earths. This month finally brings me a character I've wanted forever: Wally West as the Flash.
    [​IMG]

And here's a pic I've long wanted to be able to take:
    [​IMG]

Also, odd numbered months bring us some Club Black Freighter, so here's the latest Watchmen figure, Silk Spectre:
    [​IMG]

Mattel seems to be leaving out bicep swivels a lot not. That is infuriating, especially at the premium we're paying for the Watchmen line.

8. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not an action figure, but a toy nonetheless, I just bid for a small piece of my childhood on ebay:

[​IMG]

She was my favorite fashion doll. I loved her so much more than Barbie. Her clothes were nicer. I hope I win this one.

9. OdoWanKenobi

Nothing like a little bit of nostalgia, huh?

Good luck with the auction. I hope you get it.

10. cooleddie74

Good luck, KM. Vintage toys can be a lot of fun. There are so many things from my childhood I'd like to own again but online and auction prices can be so high that I doubt I'll ever get some of them.

That's one of the best Flash action figures I've ever seen. Wow, that is nice.

11. OdoWanKenobi

Yeah, he is great. I'm very happy with him. The only problem is that for some reason, the molds used in the more recent DC figures seem to have gotten slightly bigger. This means that Barry looks shorter than Wally and Jay, despite them being on the same bodies.

I sent that picture to a Flash loving friend of mine and she flipped out, demanding to know how she could get one of her own. :lol:

12. Kira's Mom

This one might be pretty cheap if I win it. The starting bid was only $15! And the Buy It Now price is $50.

Uh-oh, this was bound to happen. Clint found my stash of arrow charms. He's in heaven.

[​IMG]

13. cooleddie74

:shifty:

He might be enjoying those arrows too much.

14. Kira's Mom

If action figures could have orgasms, I'm sure Clint had multiples.
    :evil:

15. OdoWanKenobi

And today's TMI award goes to...:eek:

16. cooleddie74

It's only fair. After all I've won it no fewer than 71 times during my posting career.

17. cooleddie74

Great new packaged photos of the three new Original Trilogy ships in the Vintage Collection line, due out as either online or Toys 'R' Us exclusives later this year.

The basic Vintage figures themselves might be in a state of hibernation for now, but at least there are still a handful of ships and vehicles (along with some Kmart-exclusive Ewok Catapult and Imperial Scanning Crew figure packs) that are still going to be released.

These look so great, and you get one ship from each episode in the OT.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

All of those look impressive, but I'm really liking Slave I.

19. cooleddie74

It's my favorite of the three by a light year. I wonder, though, if the Han in Carbonite accessory that comes with it will be an all-new mold that's more accurate (along the lines of the 2006 Carbonite Han block and figure that more or less looked like the movie prop) or they'll just rehash the same Slave I accessory that's been in most 3.75" Slave Is dating all the way back to the very first one in 1980.

The pic on the box looks like the classic Kenner version that's been recycled a few times since but sometimes the images on the packaging don't accurately reflect the actual product inside. I hope it's a new version.

20. cooleddie74

Mystery solved.

It's a slight repaint of the 2006 Carbonite Han block (which originally had a translucent orange "glow effect" to simulate Han being unthawed in Jedi), so that's good. That's the best and most screen accurate of all the existing carbonite blocks.

[​IMG]

I like the Episode II/Jango Fett-style concussion charges included with this Slave 1. Nice continuity across the Saga.