The Grand Budapest Hotel - Grading And Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by The Lensman, Mar 6, 2014.

?

How would your rate it?

1. A

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. B

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

While the world premiere was a couple of weeks back, the US premiere is tomorrow with a limited release in L.A. and NY with a wider release the following Friday. The movie is getting good reviews so far and I can't wait to see it. It's always good to step into Wes' world every couple of years or so, for something out of the ordinary.

A few goodies to tide you over (may contain minor spoilers):

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fg5iWmQjwk[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pb_h8NuYtg[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmLEsdDnyLg[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR7kHp66qAM[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qqS_LerDz0[/yt]

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

OH, I can't WAIT to see this! This looks AWESOME. :lol:

I love Ralph Fiennes, I love Wes Anderson movies; I'm all set.

3. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I've been looking forward to this for a long while.

4. The Lensman

Same! To be honest March kinda snuck up on me. I was more focused on the DVD \ Blu release of "Inside Llewyn Davis" when I realized that we were only two weeks away from "Grand Budapest Hotel". Both come out in the same week, so it's gonna be awesome next week.

When I saw "Moonrise Kingdom", I saw the first show on opening day and there was some cool swag there for people. Some postcards with different characters on them, an 11x17 of the movie poster, so I plan on doing the same to see what or if they do it again for this flick.

5. The Lensman

Sooooo.....anyone in L.A. or NY seen this yet?

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I saw The Grand Budapest Hotel opening night in Brussels last Wednesday and loved every moment of it. The film is Wes Anderson at his best with all the nuanced details, quirky characters, and unique manner of telling the story (both writing and directing). I loved the onion layer storytelling in the introduction and conclusion, complete with its own Anderson quirkiness. All that was missing from this film was Anjelica Huston.

Something came to mind after watching the film. Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzman and the Wilson brothers are the usual suspects in Wes Anderson films (and are all fantastic), but how is it Jeff Goldblum has been in only two so far? Their own unique neurotic tendencies seem perfect for each other.

7. The Lensman

Awesome! So psyched for this movie, but it looks like it's getting the same release as Moonrise Kingdom did, where it rolls out to more theaters each week. I'm bummed because it looks like my city will not have it this Friday. I took half a day off from work to see it, and when I checked the local art house theater, it's not showing up. It's looking like it may be the 28th, so I'm still checking dates.

In other news, it looks like the movie has broken a record:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...ghest-grossing-limited-release_n_4940484.html

8. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I saw it yesterday. It's gloriously silly, contrived and fun.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah I saw it last night, great fun.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

If it ever reaches my area, I'll definitely see it!

11. auntiehill

Me, too. I keep checking the listings.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It was a lot of fun. I was worried about Anderson for a minute, but this and Moonrise Kingdom were both great.

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here. This film seems to be treated as kind of an Oscar season type film with it's limited release, yet it's being released in March. I really want to see it because it looks great, and it gave me a Moonrise Kingdom vibe, a movie I really really liked.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  14. The Lensman

Looks like it'll be showing this week in my neck of the woods! Auntiehill, if you're still near H-Town, check your listings!

15. auntiehill

YAY! Found it nearby. Already made plans to go see it with hubby at First Colony.

16. auntiehill

Just got back from seeing it. Silly, stylized---similar in tone to Moonrsise Kingdom but slightly more sordid and dark--but definitely off-beat, romantic, very nostalgic and still with the same slight(OK, not so slight) hints of a fairy tale. I was definitely smiling when it was over.

Ralph Fiennes is pitch-perfect as M. Gustave.

17. The Lensman

Just got back from seeing it myself. I loved it! This was my most anticipated movie of the year and it delivered in spades! It had more "violence" (nothing gratuitous) than your typical Anderson flick, but it was also more "laugh out loud" funny than most Anderson flicks as well, IMO. Great dialogue in this one, and yeah, Ralph Fiennes just brings Gustave to life in a way that I'm not sure anyone else could.

It's also a pretty densely packed movie, especially compared to Moonrise Kingdom. There's a lot going on in this one, and I immediately wanted to see it again just to absorb everything. The visuals and locales were gorgeous and masterfully done and I'd be hard pressed to name my favorite.

I really liked the whole "onion skin" effect with the multiple jump backs in time and the sense of history that gives the whole affair. And while there was definitely a "fairy tale" vibe to most of it, the fate of some of the characters was decidedly not, giving the movie a somewhat bittersweet ending.

Definitely a winner for Wes as, IIRC, the movie was number 8 while only being on 66 screens or so. I think this week it may be on about 300, and by next week or so about 700. Apparently there's been a lot of bleed over to more mainstream venues where it's finding success outside of the usual Art House and niche theaters. So it'll be interesting to see what this means for his next film.

At any rate, I think I'll be seeing it again tomorrow.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Maybe I'll actually be able to see it this weekend!