Dexter - The Final Season (Spoiler Discussion)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I think Young Indy is there to give Deb a means of escaping the country once Dexter's secret is exposed and people start putting together the pieces about his victims and what happened to La Guerta. He's independently wealthy, smart, knows police tactics, and has few major ties keeping him in the country now that he's distanced his sister from her creep boyfriend. They might even take Harrison with them if Dexter knows he's going to be caught or killed well in advance.

As far as Psycho Lad goes, if they have him try and kill off Dexter in the Sith master & apprentice style, or have him implied to be the new Dexter carrying on the code once Dexter is in prison or dead at the end of the series, then I won't mind the introduction. If he's just another kill for Dexter though, without any further payoff, that would seem wasteful, especially with introducing Dr. Vogel into the mix and having her teach him the Code along with Dex.

I do think there is some potential for conflict between Dexter and Psycho Lad given the profile of women he's killed so far. While up to now they've all been women his dad has cheated on his mother with, they've also all been Hispanic domestics. So maybe that becomes his "type." And given that Quinn is the one following him and Dexter is the one training him, that gives two different ways for him to possibly become obsessed with Jamie Batista as a target, which would place her and possibly Harrison at risk and give Dexter ample reason to end him.

Not sure how Hannah figures into all this yet, except maybe as the way to expose Dexter to the police, or as one final kill that Deb has to make which convinces her once and for all that she needs to get away from Dex and Miami and leave the country.

2. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Some of that awesome stuff had better appear on screen, and not a goofy "imagine what happens" as Angel and the team learn about Dex and Deb during the last 10 minutes of the finale.

They should be finding out now. Not at the last minute.

+1 to all of davejames' critical observations. All I can say on the positive side is that we do have 6 episodes left... and the third last episode is called "Goodbye Miami." So there's hope yet for the story to unfold with some development, excitement and closure. I so want to see the Morgans on the lam.

It would be cool to have a lot more dead people from previous seasons talking to Dexter in his mind to wrap things up (figuratively). I'd love to see Doakes again, he was killed off so soon! Classic Dexter, muthafucka.

3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

[​IMG]

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah it would be awesome to see Rita, Doakes, Trinity or hell, even Lumen again. Just to make this feel like some kind of epic conclusion to the entire series, which so far it's not feeling like at all.

5. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Definitely. This season has been underwhelming to say the least. The most surprising thing was seeing Deb drive off the road to try and kill both her and Dexter off. Other than that... it's been rather flat.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe he's her happily ever after?

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

So will Dexter be able to resist Hannah?

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Better question: Will any of us care? I certainly don't. Ugh.

9. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey if you need a murderous soulmate, ending up with Sarah Walker ain't half-bad, guys. Getting Masuka daughterboobs was probably the least surprising thing of all time. This certainly isn't what I'd call a great season, but being as I watch it right next to True Blood every week, it can only look good by comparison.

10. ALF

Hoo boy. It's really limping towards the finish line. I forgot how incredibly annoying Hannah was. Is she doing to kill Dexter? Probably not. But we'll have to watch it all play out in slow motion!

I just wish it was all out on the table. Now. I want to see Dexter confronted by his colleagues, so much. I wonder if Angel would pull a Hank from Breaking Bad and smack him up a bit, Masuka looking disappointed and Quinn leap up and down screaming 'I told you so' and then they all slowly start to understand the brilliance of circumventing a system of justice which is deeply flawed. I guess I had this crazy idea that the 'idea' of Dexter would be pushed to the limit now at the end of this series and before you know it, he'd have all those around him helping him 24/7 to pick up the slack in the due process of policing.

11. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Last night's episode was pretty terrible. Dexter takes on a pupil, but completely ignores him. Hannah comes back and poisons him and Deb, but not really. Hannah loves Dexter. Dexter loves Hannah. Who cares. I've enjoyed this season as a whole so far but I'm not sure they know what they're doing with the last half of it. Seems to be a mish-mash of too many ideas.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The kid didn't kill tutorgirl (fuck, that was a LONG time ago.)... It's an obvious misdirect to pit them at odds when it's probably Julian Sands handy work to put Dexter in the spotlight away from his wife... Or Hannah is playing a REALLY long game seeing Tutorgil as competition.

13. ALF

I rewatched this episode last night before deleting it from the DVR... I thought maybe I'd watched it wrong somehow and wanted another crack at it. It wasn't so bad after all... but as Guy Gardener reminds us, this is obviously leading towards some sort of scenario in which Zach, Dexter's pupil, is going to either kill or nearly kill Masuka's daughter when she inevitably becomes the intern. You know, so we can endure a few more awkward scenes between them at the police station.

There's something unusually unlikable about Zach. I want Dex to off him right way. At least the Hannah/Dexter storyline is about to plow into Masuka's story. He doesn't seem to have any of Dexter's good qualities, save that he has some concern for his mother.

I also wonder about how likely Jaime is also going to get whacked... I guess any lingering support for Dex that Angel/Masuka might have will be gone if Dex's superstar student kills all the women in Dexter's life just to get him to pay more attention to him. I realize he's likely only there to provide Dex + Deb an escape from Miami, but he's so unlikeable.

We love Dexter for so many reasons. The excellent portrayal by Hall. His ability to cope with his 'dark passenger' and try to lead a normal life. This is upstaged by a creepy rich brat who, so far, has only proved useful for getting Dexter into an exclusive nightclub.

Is this going to end with Dexter, Hannah and bratty Zach all killing together, posing in a new part of the world as a nuclear family? If so, Dexter, kill me first! :D

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  14. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

This season is not very good. Should have killed it one or two seasons ago.

15. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm in the minority that actually likes this season better than the last two. /shrug

16. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm enjoying this season but it sure doesn't feel like it's a final season. A final season should have more urgency to it.

17. davejames

Finally watched the latest, and ugh. I keep hoping the pace will pick up, and that maybe the "next episode" will finally start to ratchet up the tension.... but nope. Just more pointless subplots and needless side characters.

It seemed like something interesting might happen with Hannah drugging Dexter and Debra, but that didn't go anywhere. And Vogel has pretty much become an afterthought by this point.

When seeing Masuka's daughter topless is about the only highlight you can think of in an episode, you know something is wrong. lol

18. ALF

That's almost certainly going somewhere. Hannah's husband referred to her 'loose ends' and Dexter mentioned it a few times as well, he seemed pissed at her violation. Maybe she did a "Weekend-at-Bernie's" style photo shoot with Dexter's limp body to build an arsenal of blackmail against both Dex and Deb.

Wearing sunglasses, propped up in a kill room, etc.

Dexter was left near a river in the morning with his cell phone. Would Hannah need assistance in moving a body around? Who would be helping her, if so? I expect at least this part of the story to be explained.

19. davejames

^ I think you're putting way too much faith in these writers. Just like those who swear we haven't seen the last of the Brain Surgeon, even though it's clear the writers have completely moved on from that and are concerned only with Hannah and the psycho kid now.

20. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

synopses for final 3 episodes (contains some big spoilers)

Episode 8.10 - Goodbye Miami
    Dexter enlists Dr. Vogel's help to lure the Brain Surgeon to a location in order to get him on the table. Later, an important person in Dexter's life is murdered before his eyes.

Episode 8.11 - Monkey in a Box
    Dexter is torn between fleeing the country with Hannah and Harrison, and taking Saxon out once and for all.

Episode 8.12 - Remember the Monsters? (Series Finale)
    Season 8 and the series conclude with Dexter facing impossible odds. With a hurricane threatening Miami, Dexter becomes determined to end things his way.