‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Yeah, I like Affleck's costume a lot more than all the previous ones. I have no idea why they're so scared of giving him some contrast. Black on black with a bit of black on the side is just boring.

I also agree about Superman's personality on the big screen. They really don't get it, and worse, they seem to keep referring to the movies rather than the comics (or even the animated series...es? WTF is the plural of series?) for inspiration in that regard. If any superhero isn't a brooding emo-ridden sobfest, it's Superman. And, okay, Flash. And Plastic Man. And Spider-Man... and a few others. But the point remains, dammit.

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

It didn't even start with MoS in my opinion. Superman in Superman Returns was pretty boring. I still like him better than MoS's version (Return's Superman at least had some personality, even if it was hard to see) but he was generally bland and didn't have the personality and likeability of Christopher reeve's version, even if he was basically supposed to be the same Superman. Honestly, they shouldn't be afraid to look at the DCAU Cartoons.

I'd say the SM:TAS and Justice League/JLU version of Superman is the definitive version for me, and I wish the current movies were inspired more by that version then they were by Nolan's Batman and the general trend of dark, broody loners. I do think Cavill could play a more upbeat, positive character. Its just down to DC Movies deciding to take a chance and getting rid of the elements they became obsessed with after TDK.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The Dean Cain version I liked the most. Yeah, the show didn't age well, but the characters are solid. I like all of them, Clark, Superman, Lois, Clark's parents, Lex Luthor, Perry White, and the first Jimmy Olson. All great.

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't like the Jimmy recast. Way too jarring and the second actor wasn't that good. Rumor was the powers that be thought the actor was too similar to Dean Cain and that viewers are too stupid to differentiate.

5. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For all of my childhood, George Reeves was Superman. Period. He may have worn a padded suit, but it didn't look ridiculous like that still of Affleck from Hollywoodland. George was the only live action Superman there was (aside from Kirk Alyn, and I didn't see his version until much later).

All that changed for me in 1978 when Christopher Reeve (no 's') donned the cape and took to the skies. I can forgive III & IV, just because Reeve was so good. The Superboy series wasn't bad, but it wasn't all that good either. For me, Christopher Reeve was and still is Superman.

I was really excited to see Brandon Routh pick up the torch and had high hopes. Returns isn't a great movie, but it doesn't suck. Routh did the best he could.

It wasn't until the last couple of years that I saw the photo of Cage in the rubber suit. That is just so wrong. I'm seriously happy that version was scrapped.

Henry Cavill did a good job and I'm looking forward to the next movie.

As for the suits, every variation from the iconic version is just a stylistic choice. As long as they don't lose the important parts, the \S/ and the cape, and as long as they don't do some dipshit stuff like make him rely on some kind of armor with a helmet and goggles, it's all good.

Now if we're talking Batman, that's another story. ;)

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

:p

I heard that they wanted a Jonathan Brandis lookalike to compete with seaQuest.

7. Mister Fandango

The only alternative Superman costume I've ever seen that I kinda liked was actually a Superboy costume... and it was just jeans and a t-shirt. In all honesty, that's the type of costume I'd expect an invulnerable kind of guy to wear. Course, it does fit more with the "boy" aspect than the "man," too. But I still like the way it looks.

A distant second would be something more like this, but with a more vibrant shade of blue. I like how the shield actually serves a purpose, and the outfit itself actually looks like it has some kind of utilitarian purpose for an alien outfit, rather than just tights with a texture. Perhaps it helps him better absorb sunlight (which, you'd think, is a fact that would lead him to prefer to have as much skin exposed as possible). The shield is also larger, which is a nice look. Especially compared to the ridiculous looking shield on the Superman Returns outfit.

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Frankly, that's not a bad start. Make the jacket blue, mix in the colors on the crest, get rid of the center zipper and add matching pants, and you'd have an outfit that's visually rich without the weird and gratuitous texture.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

^ That's basically the kind of leather costume they're giving Flash in the new TV series. It's not a bad look, but personally I'd rather Superman wear a more form-fitting, "superhero-y" kind of costume in the movies.

Just like I really wouldn't want to see Spidey in a loose-fitting leather costume either. It just wouldn't look right at all.

10. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As it stands, I like that jacket design. No modifications needed.

11. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

(As for Spider-Man, never forget that the guy you're designing for will be regularly doing acrobatics and gymnastics. In all weather conditions that you'd expect from New York City.)

12. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:bolian:

Always loved that jacket!

13. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

The costume issue was addressed in Hancock. He wasn't about to be caught dead in a spandex outfit. Fortunately his PR guy came up with a good alternative.

[​IMG]

14. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Too much going on with the Hancock suit. Still not bad. I could actually see Smith as John Stewart/Green Lantern. I know not an original thought. :p

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Who decided Superheroes only wear spandex?

16. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^ Have Cavil wear armor!
    [​IMG]

17. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the main point is that there's no reason why they should be barred from adding a little texture in their efforts to modernize the suit. Of course it's not the *only* thing they could have tried (and almost certainly was not the only thing they did try). But it gives a very strong 'alien' feel while still maintaining the classic look, thereby modernizing the suit and explaining it all at once. So they used it. Because it works.

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Good point. The same could be said of Daredevil, who doesn't have the same physical superpowers as Spider-man. I quite liked the motorcycle-gear style outfit Affleck wore in that movie but it'll be interesting to see how they dress him in the forthcoming MCU Netflix series.

19. Mister Fandango

Who said anything about being "barred" from being able to make changes. Of course they have the right to make changes, especially considering they have made changes.

The point is, they didn't have to make these types of changes, and there's plenty of people who greatly dislike them. God forbid people have different opinions.

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

By this point we've seen about every possible variation and style of Superman costume there can be. The MOS one is definitely a lot more heavily textured than the previous ones, but that texture is still only really noticeable when you get up close to it.

I just don't see the big deal about it. To me it's really the darker colors of the suit that stand out more than anything else.