Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Or just keep the issues you don't want in a magazine bag with cardboard backing, keep the model in its original packaging, sell it on eBay and make back your money - maybe even a little extra. There are people out there outside the UK, US and Canada that would pay top dollar (or yen, lyra, rupee or whatever) for these things where they're not available. T'aint hard...

2. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

Must be nice to have a specialty shop nearby that you like!

4. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

It didn't look to appealing at first, I admit. I mean, I wanted it from a "they haven't done it before" point of view (well they did a big toy for FC but...) but anyway, after getting it though, I think it's quite nice. I like it. I'd much prefer to get silly ships we haven't had before than get another BoP or E-D or Reliant. ;)

It's possible - but it's a shitload more complicated and time-consuming and delaying to do. So... why would anyone do that?

Subscription = no effort, no thought, auto-bill and delivery.

Canceling = monthly effort, monthly thought, monthly shipping fees (because unless you life in a major city you don't have a store you can buy these things at) and... yeah. That's just... no.

Now if they had a website where you could log-in and check off an "opt-out" button on a ship-by-ship basis? I'd love that. I'd do that.

Short of that? I'll just keep on with my convenient subscription and resell what I dislike.

I do plan to do just that, quite likely. ;)

5. Frontier

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Shiiit, I hadn't. Not only the registry, but the bridge module and bow too. Call me weird, but I do want the Equinox, but couldn't give a toss for the Rhode Island. :klingon:

7. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

The Equinox is already out, so don't panic
    [​IMG]

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Panic cancelled. :cool:

9. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They would do that if they wanted to pick and choose which issues they received.

The definition of a subscription is (emphasis added):
    That's how the industry works. If customers don't like that model, they're free to end their subscription and purchase the individual issues (with added cost/effort, as others have noted), but the publishers are not going to change the entire industry, when the only affect of the change is to lose sales because of it. You'll be buying fewer issues with your proposed model, so there's no incentive for them to change.

10. Ethros

I'd be tempted to start this collection but it's probably too late now, and also I think I'd just get the Starfleet ships- can't say I'm bothered about some of the alien vessels like the Klingon and Romulan ships. And especially the Borg Sphere!

11. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I cannot afford to commit to a subscription- it would be nice to have a complete collection but some ships I already have multiple editions of in different scales/media.
    There are a few ships I do really want though- I rely on the observations on this thread to find out the shortcomings and help decide what is a good value.
    Finding them on the secondary market is a hassle, but when you can only get a few it is a good alternative...

12. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

When it comes to Star Trek merchandise, I've fallen way behind. I used to have the Micro Machines ages ago and I did build a model of Voyager and Reliant, but those, too, are long gone now. So when this collection came along I jumped at the chance. Any future collection that comes along, though, will really have to "wow" me before I take part in it.

13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Couldn't find the Equinox in town today, there where 2 NuPrises though. Going to keep looking.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

Got my Reliant and Akira today! The quality and detailing on both is really great; some of the best ships so far. Unfortunately, the 1701 looks really shabby next to the Reliant's level of detail. I also got the Enterprise D dedication plaque, which is very cool. It doesn't come with any way to hang it, however, which is a shame.

15. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

That's great! I thought that the dedication plaque was coming soon.

How does it look on the back? If I want to hang it, what does it look like it requires?

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

The plaque appears to made out of some sort of resin, and the back is completely flat. I superglued a little picture frame hanger on the back, and that seems to be working fine.

17. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some sites sell them new for the $20 you would pay for a subscription, for example I know Entertainment Earth does and I'm sure some other sites do as well. That would be one way you could get the models you want easily.

18. Ethros

My friend posted that picture of his USS Equinox on facebook nearly 3 weeks ago (20 Feb), yet when I went to Forbidden Planet last Wednesday (5 March) they were only up to the Cardassian Galor class with what was on sale.
    So I'm not sure how it works, I guess some subscribers get stuff earlier than the shops?

19. Frontier

Another site worth checking, bigbadtoystore.com. They have a "pile of loot" feature, which basically means they'll hold your stuff for you as orders come in, and then you can ship it all when you want, in order to help mute the shipping costs.

Individually each order they tend to charge $7-8 on shipping, but with the pile of loot, I let them hold the stuff (they charge when it comes in and then hang on to it for you until you're ready) and wait until 5-6 things have come in and then ship. So it ends up costing $8-10 on shipping for all 5-6 things together versus $7-8 for each thing.

It's saved me hundreds in S&H over the years. Granted it delays me getting my hands on things until I decide I've let the pile build enough, but in this economy it makes more sense than individual S&H charges.

The subscription doesn't seem to have any S&H though which is a huge benefit.

Trying to decide what I want to do with my superfluous ships (Reliant, Bird of Prey) and now the plaque - it's cool, but I have one from the Franklin Mint already that's a bit cooler... :hugegrin::cool:

[​IMG]

20. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Yes, that's exactly what happens.

Subscribers here in the UK got the Galor, Equinox and JJPrise on or around the 20th February. The Galor hit the shops that day and the Equinox and the JJPrise hit the shops last Thursday (the street date is every other Thursday, some claim on Facebook to buy them on a Wednesday) and I picked them both up from my local WHSmith last week.