The Trek fan film you always wanted to see..?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Danlav05, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Is there a Star Trek film/episode/audio idea that you haven't seen yet?

I've got one.

I've always loved the Shatnerverse novels and the idea of on older Kirk living in the 24th Century, and enjoyed looking at photomanips of him in the First Contact uniform - that would mean a whole new chapter in his life after the Academy Years, Five Year Mission and movies.

I tried writing a treatment years ago called STAR TREK: LATER VOYAGES and it involved Picard, Janeway, Spock and other characters. The main thing I couldn't get right were the enemy. I know we had THE WAY BACK animation film, but so far they have released 3 chapters, last one was 2007.

Originally it was based on the 'Bring Back Kirk' trailer, but I reworked it, because if it was post-Nemesis or even post-Odyssey then we know we'd be losing Spock, and also the adventures would be about some quite elderly men, no offence, but would that work?

Basically it would featre an altenate Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Uhura and Sulu coming from an alternate universe in 2270 where they were at war with the Klingons. The war's been going a fair few months, just months so the timeline hasn't diverged THAT much, they are in a shutte on the way to the nuteral zone when they slip through a portal into the Prime Universe in c.2382 where they're found by the Enterprise-E. They learn of the new technology/history/politics for a year or so before being assigned a new ship to begin a new mission of exploration. It's like the 2009 movie but the other way round! :bolian:

Part of the idea is that after Voyager EMH's are more trusted and valued so Kirk's is modelled, personality and all on Dr Leonard H McCoy. Think Rimmer from Red Dwarf :devil:

If I were to do it now - and if the right ideas could come together - I'd love to see this as a trilogy, the second and third being 'back to exploring' adventures with Ambassador Spock and a whole new crew. I could imagine lookalikes such as Carl Sheldon and Giles Aston playing roles to try and make the experience look more authentic.

What other ideas would you like to see? :)

2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Fair warning:

The first shitbag to say "The Tressaurian Intersection" gets permabanned.

I'd love to see a fan film that is set in the TOS era, with a non-Enterprise crew, on a different ship, with minimal (if any) crossovers, mentions of characters we've seen before, etc. that is simply just a standalone film and not written, produced or released as a precursor to a series.

Every last damn one of the fan films these days is really just a "fan pilot" and it's gotten to be tiresome. I'd love to see a single story arc begun, continued and resolved over the course of one film in a satisfying manner. If it does well, then, certainly they can revisit it but for the first outing, I'd like something simple and good.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  3. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

the tressaurian intersection. because it is. and also you're not mod-coloured so i'd like to see how you could permaban someone ;P

also the random adventures of wesley and the traveller could be fun. although i am imagining it to be like bill and ted.

4. doubleohfive

I'm not a mod, no. And while you're obviously not griping or complaining about it, there's been enough of that re: Exeter and "Tressaurian" and sifting through it in yet another thread is unnecessarily dumb, so I struck first...and it was a joke. :)

Sue me.

5. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

"I'd love to see a fan film that is set in the TOS era, with a non-Enterprise crew, on a different ship, with minimal (if any) crossovers, mentions of characters we've seen before, etc. that is simply just a standalone film and not written, produced or released as a precursor to a series."

I'm not sure TOS stories like that lend themselves to one-offs. They will just feel like isolated episodes as part of a series. So how can they be anything other than "precursors to a series"? And isn't it reasonable that when people successfully get the sets and costumes and crew together that they will want to do more than one story rather than just one and call it a day? That they rarely get that far doesn't change the fact that their intentions are reasonable.

It seems to me that Ajax will wind up fitting the bill for you, though, when it gets going soon, even though it is a series. Farragut has crossovers with the Enterprise (well, at least one).

6. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

a tos fan film that doesnt waste time with a tedious cameo from one of the many jim kirks would be nice.

non-tos, Potemkin and Intrepid are what i want to see, just with bigger budgets would sort of be perfect fan series

7. doubleohfive

I honestly don't see how you can possibly think that any production can't be a one-off. By your criteria, most movies would never get made!

Perhaps though I should amend my original comment - I don't necessarily mind that these fan films turn out to be precursors to series, I just think they shouldn't be written as such all the time. Too many of them start out written as pilots when really, they should just be done as standalone stories that can later be expanded upon if desired to. Starship Exeter is/was a perfect example of this approach. Phase II as well.

I don't mind fan films becoming series, I just think there's a quality that is lost when you sit down with 25 episodes already written and ready to shoot before you even get one project completed. That's all I was saying.

Farragut crossed over with New Voyages in its pilot episode. Kirk, Spock and McCoy had a brief cameo at the end of "The Captaincy." Later on, in "The Price of Anything," Kirk reappears, though this time its the Kirk from Star Trek Continues.

2) I have been following the progress of Ajax here and on their FB page and hope it will be more along the lines of what I described above. If it isn't, I won't be disappointed; I know all too well what a herculean task it is to do something like this let alone finish it. I just would like there to be a single, driving storyline with one of these projects someday that ends at the end of the picture and leaves me saying "Hot damn, that was excellent!"

Thus far, no fan film has really illicited that kind of reaction from me. A bunch of them have had awesome, amazing moments of action, drama, humor and spectacle but none have left me slack-jawed at the end. (Ok, ok, maybe "World Enough and Time...")

Is it unreasonable of me? Perhaps. But this thread isn't about being reasonable. It's about wish-fulfillment. :)

8. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A TOS fan series that takes place on a different ship instead of a Constitution class starship. Mix it up people! :D

9. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

I'd like to see a fan film set in the new universe. Either on the Enterprise or the Kelvin.

10. Danlav05

I think it' simply a sad sign of the times. Granted Phase II are still up and running, Star Trek Continues have released some shorts and have filmed a full-length episode and of course Intrepid film regularly but fanfilms are a hobby project, done by volunteers and out of work hours when people can get together.

I though totally get what you mean, we had a steady regular output with the Hidden Frontier series, but Rob Caves admitted he nearly went bankrupt. They provided us with a meaty storyline with characters you could take time to invest in and develop - not enough people recognise that I feel.

Abot 6/7 years ago we had a quite steady flow of Farragut (which is still running too), Hidden Frontier, New Voyages even though episodes were 1 a year updated their website regularly (though they film every June and September, their Facebook regularly tells of news). People are very busy.

All of these groups shared personel and it was like an international community. I miss that.

A lot of independent groups are starting up - Star Trek Phoenix for example was very high brow and ths took a lot to put together; there's Axanar, Ironsides, Ajax and a few ot hers including 24th Century series just coming together. I think they intend to go on WHEN THEY CAN.

I love fan films, makers and the work that they do - I hope to join in someday, but as a viewer things I acknowledge all the good work still being done by various people, but I feel overall - and please people don't get offended by this - things aren't what they were.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The 150 million fan film done by someone who just won the lottery jackpot.

12. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

I agree, and I'd include Intrepid in that criticism. If I could go back and start over, our first episode would be a complete stand alone.

For what it's worth, my next script after the two in production is exactly that, and any subsequent tales from us will be as well.

13. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Does a TOS era one-off that the creator LATER decides to do another count?

Aurora: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/25.html

14. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A story arc would be a definite plus, especially if it's not just some big effects-heavy war against enemy XYZ.

One thing I'd like to see more focus on is the world outside of Starfleet and the like.
    So far, Aurora seems to be the only project that really did go there and told a good story.

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

:whistle:

16. Danlav05

I know WB have let Nolanverse Batman films go ahead, and Doctor Who fans have done stuff based on the newer seasons, but strangely Bad Robot/Paramount/CBS have vetoed anything based on the JJVerse.

Someone mentioned the Tressaurian Intersection above, and I'd like to throw in a mention to the German Original Series/Next Generation crossover feature 'Das Vermachtnis' (The Legacy), as featured in Denise Crosby's Trekkies 2 documentary. It cold have been just incredible!

http://www.der-deutsche-spock.de/fanfilm_de.htm

It featured well-tailored uniforms, Q, Klingons, plus great replicas of the original/-D bridge; TNG Shuttle and Klingon bridge. Picard looked younger but with hair, but that didn't matter. The whole thing just felt RIGHT. 'Vulcan' Willi Wiegand, a well-known Spock imperonator in Germany who was in charge of promotion, regularly corrosponded with fans online and provided updates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBfdpx_3d2s

There's a preview of what might have been at 2:53. I would have watched the entire thing without subtitles/dubbing, even though I don't know German. Apparantly the whole thing was shot, however Director Christoph Hees decided in post-production it was 'God's will' that the thing would never be completed. Such a damn pity.

Hopefully all the footage still exists so someday it could be edited/SFX etc. Hopefully. I tried emailing Christoph on Willi's advice but alas no reply.

17. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

Not really "strangely". They consider it direct competition to their licensed product.

18. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Even though I didn't like Assignment Earth, It would be cool to see an AE fan film.

19. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

My understanding of this is that the guys involved got married and had kids, and decided that was going to be their priority. I do think it could be finished one day, but we are looking at a Yorktown II type timeline.

20. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Aurora's a really lovely little TOS film and very true to spirit and character of series as long as one gets into the CG animation.