Should Neelix/Kes have stayed together?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Melakon, Dec 28, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

But wouldn't they be ovulating the same amount of eggs regardless of who their mates were? Or do you think the multiples were all identicals and the blastocysts did not divide when they were half human?

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Ocampa have one child each couple. Then at the ripe age of 2 weeks the child splits into two. At one month both of them split into two again. Thus making it possible to grow or at least maintain a population.

3. teacake

:guffaw:

I love it!

4. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought he hung around them cause they were the only family only Voyager?
    Didn't he compare himself to Niomi in "Once Upon a Time" and implied he looked after her because he didn't want her to know what's it's like not to grow up with without parents? He was trying to be her surrogate father. It wasn't sexual with Samantha as much as he was just lonely. Everything Neelix did was a act of desperation not to be alone again.

However on the debate about how many children the Ocampa can have, I agree with the point you brought up about Kes mentioning she had an Uncle. Yes, that would imply they are capable of having more than one child at a time.
    Good catch. :techman:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

but it would have been grand if it was sexual, and the TPTB were so ignorant about the potential that they left the "possibility" wide open.

Another theory I heard/invented is that Sam didn't like Naomi much because she resented that fact that this changeling (shut up) was a timespace splitted (splat?) widget and not her actual daughter who is probably on ice in a shoe box sized coffin in sick bay.

Her daughter died.

What ever this creature was, sooner or later it was going to go bad.

6. exodus

So you're saying the the morally sound Trek would condone adultery?

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Heh, it's true they never address the fact that that Naomi came from another Voyager. But I think if that did bother Sam it would have been right after she was born. Technically she is her daughter, the same girl she carried in her womb up until the point of the split, a few hours before she was born. Same genetic material, that is her daughter. Once the emotional bonding occurred I don't think a mother would care anymore.

We shouldn't read too much into Neelix hanging around the Wildmans. He's the logical choice for a crew member to interact with any children, he's the right balance of outgoing and empathetic.

8. teacake

Neelix wants to be seen as not just useful, but wonderful. Naomi is going to think that long after everyone else gets irritated and sees him as an overly needy barrel chested labrador. It's easy to be wonderful to kids.

9. exodus

Agreed on both parts.
    Plus Naomi is the only physical representation of her husband Sam has.

10. Guy Gardener

I just watched an episode of DS9 were Kira and O'Brien came to within millimetres of ravaging each other despite Kieko teetering around saying what good friends they are.

Did Odo get divorced from Lwaxana before he started "dating" Kira? And after he linked, wouldn't she have been married to the entire Great Link?

11. exodus

Is a "Well we could have" still adultery?

I thought it was annulled?
    I think the Changlings would call marriage a concept only for solids. Isn't marriage something that has to be accepted in the eyes of God and/or the State?

12. Guy Gardener

That's called coveting.

It's one of the 10 commandments.

They had to wait several months before they could annul the wedding for the sake of beleivability.

It's just a question of if they got around to it despite that there was a war going on.

Several wars.

If you squint, Kirk and Spock were engaged to the same bird in Amok Time. So they wer each committing adultery on each other equally.

How married did Kirk get to Miramanee? Or did she die in the end the paradise Syndrome?

Didn't Kirk make out with Kang's wife Mara in Day of the Dove, and he certianly kissed his way betwixt those married Kelvans who didn't know about that Earth custom called Kissing in By Any Other Name.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  13. teacake

Miramanee died and so did the baby :(

If I had gotten married while under alien influence, technological or otherwise I would not consider myself married when I came to. I doubt Sarah Sisko considered herself married to Ben Sisko once she was released from the Prophet's possession of her even if she had a marriage certificate.

I also wouldn't consider myself married if some babe danced with me and then I found out later this meant I was married in their culture which happened to O'Neill in Stargate. And pretend happened to Mal in Firefly. I'm okay about these hokey storylines which seem all about the big gag reveal "He's Married!" until they take it seriously and act like it's an actual legal and/or moral issue.

14. Guy Gardener

Once you remember that Londo and G'Kar accidentally got married in episode 5 of babylon 5, their relationship really begins to make sense.

15. teacake

The ending of that episode was the second worst Babylon 5 moment.

But yes the bickering and inability to break out of each other's orbit :lol:

16. Guy Gardener

With all the different representatives of earths religions?

I loved that at the time.

But right now, the logistics of getting all those people together on a space station without notice is only slightly less believable than how the school band pounces from the shadows like Batman with sheet music no matter what the show quire on Glee has planned.

Have you seen Outland?

It's an Australian sitcom from last year about the trials of a gay sciencefiction club.

17. teacake

I had an allergic reaction to that ending the first time I saw it because I thought we were in for some Trek preachiness. Thankfully all other religious commentary in the series was about non-earth religions.

Outland.. I forgot about that. Saw the creators at a con a while back and they showed us a lot of bits of it. One of the guys came across as a complete dickwad and I never followed it up. But it seemed full of potential?

18. Guy Gardener

Well I'm too easy, but my ass fell off from all the laughing.

Season four.

"And the rock cried out No place to Hide!"

Watching Lord Refa getting pummelled to the tune/beat of Gospel music was amazing.

And in the Final movie, Lochley matched wits with with Satan.

I really must watch those again, but they were so bad.

19. teacake

Oh yeah that WAS awesome, the gospel scene. Which was the final movie, I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them but they blur.

Watching the original Outland short film on youtube now, but the eps aren't up.

20. Guy Gardener

"No Place to hide! No place to hide! No place to hide!"