The Walking Dead Season 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, May 6, 2013.

1. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

And none of that birth control will ever expire, just like gasoline!

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, expiration dates on medicine is..... fuzzier. It can also be used past its expiration date it's just less effective/less likely to work. Unlike gasoline which becomes unusable.

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I don't know about Birth Control pills, but, most pills I've had prescribed (Pain Killers, Anti-Biotics, Maintenance drugs...) have an expiration date of 3 years, but, that expiration date is set to be before the pills start becoming less effective (IE: Guaranteed for 3+ years, not, will stop working at 3 years and 1 day. It's probably more likely, that the real date the medication starts breaking down is 3 1/2 years or longer)

4. Stiletto

Stiletto Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only thing wrong with a Daryl and Beth hookup would be if it happened the day before they got to terminus, and they see Carol there. "Oh, hi," Carol runs off sobbing while Daryl and Beth look at each other....

5. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

It's the same thing, just on a different time scale. Gasoline doesn't suddenly go bad either.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

No, but after a year it's not longer effective and has mostly broken down into a varnish. You cans till "kinda" get away with it but it's not very effective, efficient and will clog up all sorts of lines and plugs in the fuel system and engine. After two years gasoline is no longer viable for use. So in the timeline of The Walking Dead gasoline should barely be working considering it's more than 18 months old if not out-right pushing two years.

Medications you can still take it's just less likely to 100% effective the further out you are from the date. Gasoline actually "goes bad" it's closer to being like, say, milk. Where, yeah, you get a day or two past the expiration date on the bottle but not too much more than that before the milk is bad.

Gasoline at this point in TWD universe should pretty much be useless and even diesel should be pushing things. Medications by and large should still be useful, except much more date-sensitive medications or medications reliant on modern technologies to stay viable like insulin which should be kept cool if not completely in the fridge.

7. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

That was probably Daryl's original reason for picking up all that cash.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Ouch! I'd rather use the golf clothes for that.

9. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone notice that after Beth got spattered and took off the cardigan, her shirt had more blood on it than the cardigan did?

10. sojourner

And then later it didn't. Yeah.

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Where's the discussion of that Walking Dead show I've heard so much about? I thought I'd wandered into a discussion of "When do various household and automotive products expire?" for the last several pages. I mean, I get that it stretches credibility a bit sometimes, but there are some things you can let slide for the sake of dramatic expedience. That's possibly not a great sign for the episode's quality that these types of logistics discussions are taking precedence over storytelling concerns, but I thought it was okay.

He took jewelry as well, though. It was just a part of the episode's (somewhat overdone, IMO, especially in regard to Daryl, who seems to have adapted pretty well) message about letting go of your past and adapting to this new reality, or else.

I agree with those who said the reason for the golf attire on the walkers was probably not that people were playing golf in the middle of a slow burning zombie apocalypse, but because they had raided the golf pro shop for clothing (although, clearly the rich vs. poor dynamic of former club members vs. staff was maintained). In fact, I was extremely surprised that Daryl and Beth didn't make more of an effort to find a wider range of clothes than they did, regardless of how strange it would have looked. I mean, Beth lost her sweater and just gave up on getting a new one, and didn't even consider any kind of jacket or anything, even a light windbreaker. I know it's summer, but it can still get chilly at night in the forest.

There were some good dramatic moments in the episode, especially Daryl's breakdown over failing to protect the group. His growth from person who cared about no one but himself (and his brother to a limit) to reluctant group member to indispensable fighter, leader, and family member and now his attempt at sanity-maintaining return to original form has been handled extremely well, and Norman Reedus deserves recognition for his skills as an actor in addition to just playing a badass.

I thought Beth's pursuit of getting a drink, which may seem shallow to some, was actually a pretty realistic depiction. When everything around you has gone to shit, you have to enjoy the little things just to get by day to day. Plus, since it was her Dad who had forbidden her from drinking, it was a way of metaphorically letting him go after his brutal death, and of saying that she had outgrown her need for him to protect her. I thought the actress did a good job in the episode, as well.

The characters repeatedly did stupid and reckless things this episode, but given Daryl's track record of always getting the job done and being utterly dependable, I think a single (deliberate) lapse in judgment when he was feeling at his worst is understandable and acceptable in-character.

The opening sequence with the walker herd going past the car while they were in the trunk was one of the best, and most frightening, scenes they've done on the show, and all without directly showing any of the walkers. It was entirely up to sound and shadow and footprints after the fact to sell the scope of the terror they faced, and it did so extremely well.

12. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Okay, so unlike other recent items discussed in this thread, clothing has got to be just about the single EASIEST item to find in this world. Every single house they walk by has multiple closets and drawers full of various articles of clothing. If you can't find your size, try the one next door. Let alone any clothing store that would have a thousand different items in your size for you to choose from.

13. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, people die in the real world. But, in the real world, they don't become threats when they die. A few times in the show they pointed out the danger in large groups living together, because all it takes is one person dying to cause big problems. And disposal only works if you can take care of the body before it turns. Remember early in this season, how they didn't know that kid died from the flu until he turned and attacked those in the prison.

Unlike the typical zombie story, where the hope is eventually someone will kill all the zombies and it will be over, it's never going to end in The Walking Dead universe unless someone can come up with a cure, which, with every passing day, as more of the old infrastructure crumbles, is very unlikely.

Which is not to say that people won't want to survive, but at some point, that doubt has to creep in.

14. Bob Morton

Bob Morton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wonder if it was only the people that were alive at the 'time' that were infected with the virus (wherever it originated). Survivors wouldn't realize right away that any babies being born were uninfected; at least til one died of SIDS and then didn't come back. It leaves a bit of hope for solving this in the future.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I can only speak for the UK but we get it the day after the States now, which is why I've poked my head into this thread for the first time. It was never safe to before :)

Civilisation can go on, it just needs to adapt. They know people turn into walkers when they die, so they should have anticipated what happened at the prison. Forget even flu for the moment, people have accidents all the time, fall down the stairs and break their necks etc. It’s about forward planning, creating a buddy system so that people are rarely alone, or if they are it’s noticed if they’re not back within certain timeframes, and also about partitioning people off as well. The most annoying thing about the flu/walker outbreak in the prison was that they were in the perfect place to institute such partitioning, and really everyone should have been locking themselves in their cells at night, and cell blocks could be sealed off from each other as well, just in case.

There will always be things you can’t plan for, but you could mitigate a lot of the risks. Whether it’s a civilisation you’d want to live in or not is another debate, but humanity has overcome myriad other obstacles to build large scale societies, and could do again in the TWD universe.

16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Doesn't Rick's baby die in the comics? Did she come back as a zombie?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  17. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Then what was the point of Maggie confirming she was not pregnant? Obviously, they are not trying to have a child in that world, so her statement means they are sexually active, but do not have access to birth control.

18. sojourner

Birth control is not %100 effective.

19. TREK_GOD_1

Some meds are known to become life-threatening beyond the expiration date; elements are not rendered "inactive" by getting old in the bottle. The same applies to supplements.

20. TREK_GOD_1

It is more likely that they were talking about a lack of BC in a situation where supplies are no longer abundant (ZA-inspired scavenging by survivors) than the effectiveness of BC in general.

Remember the kind of show TWD is.