Lt. Kim

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by c0rnedfr0g, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I would have rather seen Neelix or Seven get a provisional Lieutenant rank over Harry.

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, you may as well ask why Janeway didn't make herself an Admiral. They really weren't in Starfleet's normal operations sphere anymore so there really wasn't much point to promoting Kim. He was already part of the Senior Officers group in the first place (which for someone out of the Academy, was a pretty big thing).

And the reason why modern Navies have a "Get promoted or retire" mentality is because in Modern Navies room for officers is limited because said Armed Forces are limited to Earth. They only have so many ships and so many people going in and out.

With Starfleet, they have all that vastness of space and new ships being built all the time so there's no need for that limitation anymore because there's always more room. So there's no real problem with not getting promoted once every few years.

3. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Promotions all around. Janeway get's promoted to Admiral, Chakotay becomes Captain of Voyager, Tom get's to be Commander of the Delta Flyer, B'elanna gets Lieutenant Commander status overseeing both ships with Joe Carey becoming Lieutenant, Tuvok get's promoted to Commander of Voyager, Seven of Nine and Neelix gets Wesley's acting ensign status, and The Doctor already has that ECH program... am I forgetting anyone?

No, that's it.

4. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

It's been awhile since I've seen VOY, but I'm hard-pressed to recall anything particularly outstanding that Kim did as well. Possibly his contributions to Astrometrics and his work to get the Hirogen off the ship in Killing Game?

Unfortunately, I could also make up a list of dumb things he did, sooooo....

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With a few rare exceptions... I doubt very many people at all got promoted on that trip. You have a single ship, with a single command structure and promoting people is just gonna screw with that. There's even less of a need for promoting people as you take casualties for the most part.

Tuvok got promoted, but that was mainly to cement him as third in command more than anything else. Tom lost rank, the Voyager hierarchy wasn't effected... at all. He got it back, and the only consequence was Harry feeling deprived.

Now after Endgame, I'm sure there were promotions across the board. Pity they decided to fade to black rather than show an actual resolution.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It could be worse. Harry's first command could have been "The Valiant"

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You also have to remember that as far as Janeway was concerned, after Deadlock, the Harry Kim she had to deal with was not real, because he was a quantum duplicate.

She had as much respect for him as she did for any other pompous transporter accident.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Naomi Wildman. She did help save the ship a time or two; that's gotta be worth something more than a pretend-"Captain's Assistant" rank.

10. Melakon

Naomi's a quantum duplicate too though, just like Harry.

11. Timewalker

But Janeway has never yelled at Naomi.

12. Guy Gardener

So the kid is smart enough not to get between Katey and her Coffee, does that mean that deserves a medal?

13. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

In Tom's defense for getting a promotion, every time you see the ship do death defying maneuvers, it was all him.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  14. Timewalker

Maybe Janeway might think so...

Seriously, Naomi did help Seven save the ship from the telepathic pitcher plant alien.

15. Melakon

The key word there is "help". She helped all by herself. That deserves a gold star on the forehead, not a medal.

16. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Regarding the question about Paris getting promoted but not Kim....as i recall, didn't Janeway (having accepted their plight of being stuck in the delta quadrant) give Paris his rank because that was the rank he had achieved in Starfleet prior to his criminal indiscretions

And so she basically decided, in view of their predicament, to restore people to their previous positions or previous trained abilities (so Chakotay became first officer and the Maquis that had previously served with Starfleet were given the ranks that they had once originally earned)

So Tom was a part of that decision....and he wasn't promoted while Kim wasn't.....just simply restored

Dunno....can't remember but that was my understanding

17. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^That's a bit speculative.

Let's get back to the Kim appreciation thread... wait, was this ever a Kim appreciation thread?

18. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really appreciate Kim

Cattrall

[​IMG]

19. Guy Gardener

Pitcher or picture?

Google says pitcher, but does that make any sense?

A pitcher is a container you put lemon tea in, or a tobacco chewing thug throwing base balls at people.

A picture is a static image.

What's more likely?

A telepathic plant that puts pictures in your head, or a telepathic plant that throws baseballs at you while you drink lemon tea out of it's crook?

20. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My main recollection of Harry Kim was that in every alternate future I saw him in, he turned out to be a really surly guy.