Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So does this mean we can thank Seth McFarlene for the writers room feature? I enjoyed that, and Seth's moderation. Maybe we should just get him to moderate everything. He's a huge fan, he's shown he is prepared, and I would love to see him back for more features.

2. tomalak301

I buckled down and bought the Redemption disc today, and I'm glad I did. I've been complaining this entire thread about the Bonus features not being up to the standards they set with the previous releases, and then I just watched Empire at War. Man what a bonus material this was. It makes me sad that we might have to buy extra discs to get good material (A direction taken with Star Trek Into Darkness that's pissing me off because it might become normal and that's scary), but this is the kind of Special feature I expect from the blu-ray.

I loved this feature, and when they brought on Gwyneth Walsh to talk about B'Etor, I was like, yep, this is the best special feature on the Season 4 sets. Not only that, but Dan Curry (Who I think is kind of boring) talking about the Bat'Leth was amazing, especially showing the climatic fight scene between Worf and Duras to end "Reunion". If there was one thing I wish they would have had in this feature, it would be tying in the romulan story, but I almost expect that to be in the Unification set. I mean that episode featured Sela too, so we might just see the set just feature all the Romulan stories and maybe do a tribute to Andreas Katsulas. Coming back to this feature, I'm glad I bought the disc just for this feature. I'll watch the episode, but the feature was more than enough to justify the purchase.

3. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watched BOBW 2 last night. I know that the shot is w/ Frakes on the battle bridge, but I could not detect it. Disclosure: I was on my 2nd gin 'n' tonic of the evening, which could have affected my vision, but still...

Edit: I just went over to Trekcore and read about the scene. I do remember seeing that bit. It might have been a little softer, but with the dark lighting, I wasn't sure. I didn't see as much difference last night as I see in the Trekcore comparison.

4. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

It's already normal.

5. tomalak301

What other products other than Star Trek makes you buy the same thing over and over just to get all the special features? Of course I don't buy many blu-rays/DVDs so I legitimately do not know, but I thought Star Trek was the only franchise that did this.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Star Trek is a major property and retailers are using the exclusives to get people into their stores. It isn't as big in home-video but retailers have been doing the same thing with video-games for close to a decade.

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Well played sir.

8. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There was also the shot from The Drumhead that could not be located. It was a dark and cloudy shot of the warp core, so we lucked out. It fits right in.

Imagine if an iconic shot couldn't be located, like Picard's loooong emotional shot in Sarek.

9. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, it seems that Star Trek fans are the battered spouses of the entertainment industry...even moreso than ACTUAL battered spouses in the entertainment industry. This whole STID Blu-Ray issue is simply a cynical ploy by Paramount (and Bad Robot, according to later reporting) to appease the retail conglomerates while standing on the backs of the actual consumers.

(Which, sadly, I've reluctantly decided to go along with -- I preordered the Target version, since the Best Buy exclusives can be downloaded for free, and the video commentary track is included. Yes, I'm part of the problem. Don't weep for me.)

10. Leto_II

LOL :lol:

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Retailers are willing to pay a pretty-penny for exclusives so they can lure people into their stores who otherwise wouldn't shop there. Paramount/Bad Robot would be stupid to not offer retailers what they want.

12. Leto_II

Absolutely true, but as Bill Hunt of The Digital Bits pointed out this past week, when a precedent already exists for the inclusion of every produced supplement within the covers of a single release (the BD version of ST09), it starts to smack of cynical greed and perfidy, especially where the customers are involved.

But still...like I said, I'm part of the problem, since I've (very hesitantly) decided to go along with this whole scheme; another article from a different website prompted me along here, going into some detail regarding Paramount Home Video's current business model, and that the likelihood of a later, "ultimate edition" being virtually slim and none at the moment.

13. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Well, finally ordered Season 4. Hoping it holds up to Season 3 well enough to justify the purchase.

14. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For live action, it is completely up to CBS-D's standards, since they worked on it. The effects are halfway between HTV's best work and CBS-D's best work.

But it has a ton of 4-footer footage compared to season 3, so that doesn't help.

15. The Caretaker

The Caretaker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've just watched Night Terrors, and the promo surprised me. The very last shot contains what can only be described as a piece of cheap sponge flying behind the Enterprise. Was this an early abandoned special effect or is it something lifted from another episode? I don't remember ever seeing it before?!

16. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Do you mean this thing (the alien ship in the episode)?

[​IMG]

17. The Caretaker

The Caretaker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No, it's a completely different shot and looks pretty bad. It looks like an early version of th alien ship that was scrapped. It's kind of a cross between a sponge and a crystalline rock. ;)

18. Langenscheiss

Langenscheiss Ensign Newbie

Watched the art department reunion. While it was not as interesting as the cast reunion, I think it is still an interesting piece to look at. In particular because, unlike the writer's room feature, it was not a repetition of stories already told in the various audio commentaries. I agree, a moderator would have been helpful, but it's imo definitely not a lot worse than the writer's room VAM.

19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yep, I just watched the promo on Youtube and it's there. Certainly looks like a scrapped VFX shot of a completely different-looking alien ship than what was seen in the ep, and I don't think that shot was used anywhere else.

20. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Just got my Season 4 Blus in the mail yesterday. Watched a few episodes and while it's not HTV bad, I can definitely notice the slight drop in quality over CBS-D's work.

Not bad, but noticeable.