On "Ex Machina" & Crew

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Rush Limborg, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

You haven't looked hard enough then.

The original theatrical version was available as a VHS/Beta. In 1983, after ABC-TV premiered its extended version, that was released on VHS/Beta as the "Special Longer Version".

When the movies came out in a widescreen boxed VHS set, many people assumed (by the running time on TMP's box art) that it was again the SLV of TMP being re-released but that timing was a misprint. The only widescreen version of TMP on VHS is the theatrical version.

Then along came DVD-Diector's Edition, retaining some of the SLV footage (including the Rhaandarite ensign scene I mentioned), but segments that weren't chosen by Robert Wise for his DE, were shunted off into the bonus features section.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Huh? Wasn't the Rhaandarite ensign's scene in the theatrical edition? You mean the bit on the bridge where Uhura chews him out, right?

3. Therin of Andor

Nope. Billy sat there on premiere night at the Smithsonian and his (big?) scene was gone!

It was only in the comic and the novelization until the SLV.

Theatrically he still got chewed out by Reiko Onami, swapped glances with Rand, and carried Kirk's field jacket though; Billy just had no lines.

And, when there was a premiere night in his home town, he attended as an audience member and a local extra, who'd played a Rhaandarite in the rec deck, was signing autographs saying he was "the alien ensign".

Billy said in my 1984 interview with him, "What was I to do? Say, 'No everyone, that was me up there doing nothing!'" ;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  4. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Yep. I have both versions on LaserDisc. The theatrical version is widescreen; the SLV is full screen.

5. Christopher

As it naturally would be, since it was created for television in 1983, long before anyone started "letterboxing" TV programs.

6. Dayton Ward

Wait. All this time I've been living a lie? You mean "SLV" didn't really mean "Special Larger Version?"

Damn.

7. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Only in those spam email ads....

8. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

So... exactly what wouldI have to do in order to use those characters? Do I just ask Pocket? Or do you have any say?

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

In fan fiction, you can do whatever you want with any characters.

To be published, you'd have to submit your outline etc. like anyone else, subject to Paramount's approval.

10. Christopher

You can't legally use those characters except in material commissioned and published by Pocket, IDW, or TokyoPop, because they're the only people licensed to publish Star Trek fiction in print form. All fan fiction is technically copyright infringement. But it's generally tolerated so long as the author makes no attempt to sell it for profit.

So the idea of asking for permission to use someone's characters in fan fiction is self-contradictory. You can do whatever the hell you want in fan fiction, so long as you don't try to sell it.

11. Therin of Andor

There was a whole thread on this recently. CommodoreNero asked the same question.

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?p=1880370

12. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mods, I think this question needs to be added to the FAQ. And a note in the title of said FAQ about reading it before posting in the forum.

13. Therin of Andor

:guffaw:

Now there's a novelty!

14. BrotherBenny

Stranger things have happened, but I am not at liberty to discuss them here :shifty:

15. Rush Limborg

Though as of now, my tales are just fan-fic, I fully intend to get them published.

Still, common curtosy would seem to demand that I at least go to you for some input on how to treat characters you've created. I remember David R. George III noting how he and KRAD "gave" each other characters for their respective "Lost Era" books.

I find it interesting how the writers who created the characters apparently don't have any real say in these matters. Interesting --and a little disturbing, if you ask me....

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not an author, but I'm pretty sure that if you give something out as fan fiction you won't be able to get it officially published later.

17. Rush Limborg

I'm aware of that. I'm just writing them now, sending them later. I let others read and critique them, but that's usually it.

There was this one guy who wanted to keep a copy of a short story of mine (and there was also my uncle), but that's it. And I trust them. They won't try to sell'em.

18. Dayton Ward

^ Doesn't matter, anyway. You don't send completed manuscripts to Pocket for Star Trek. You send outlines and proposals, and once those are hashed out and you're offered a contract, *then* you start writing the story.

As for this:

That's why it's called "work for hire." If you want total control over everything you write, then write your own stuff and don't worry about writing media tie-in fiction. If you *do* want to write such material, then you go in knowing that everything you create ends up belonging to the property owner. That doesn't mean we don't consult each other whenever circumstances warrant, but that has nothing at all to do with requiring permission to use anything created by another writer working under a work-for-hire agreement.

19. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Speaking just for myself... if another author was so taken with a character I introduced into a Trek story that they decided to bring him/her back in a story of their own, I'd simply take that as a compliment.

(Unless, of course, they brought the character back only so they could subject him/her to an excruciatingly painful and torturous death... and then I'd still comfort myself thinking I'd at least made a strong impression.)

20. BrotherBenny

Rush, if you want to write professionally, then go ahead and try. I've used fanfic to hone my skills and fine tune my English, broaden my vocabulary and get ready, like a warm up before a marathon.

I've already written one novel, unpublished, a few years ago and now finally ready to write another one. Once I have my original stuff published I fully intend to go for a Star Trek story and have three plans in development. But those have gone on the backburner while my original-universe stuff takes off.

Good luck, you'll need it. As will I.