sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

I was sick of serial killers a couple of episodes into Millenium. :rommie:

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Speaking of that, rumor has it FOX will hold The Following to midseason. So the only serial kill show actually launching in the fall is also the one I happen to like best: CW's Cult. That should help it out some, no competition in that particular genre in the fall.

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

It was being said a month or so ago that Cult, if picked up, as it now has been, would have a midseason launch and be designed to have 13-episode seasons to maintain tight storytelling. Has there been news to the contrary?

4. Temis the Vorta

Come to think of it, maybe Cult is launching midseason too. The CW would be smart to jump ahead of the others, but they haven't actually released their schedule yet. Thurs I think?

5. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

6. Temis the Vorta

Just watched a clip of The Following...errgh, not quite as cool as I'd hoped. Maybe Cult will tackle this premise better, and it does look like the premises are almost entirely the same...serial killer on the loose who is using the internet (oh that dastardly internet!) to induce others to become serial killers, too.

The key here is, I want there to be a good reason these people are imitating the serial killer, and not just because they are dopes with no life. I can't stand stories that use stupidity as a motivator for characters. I'd much rather there be some zany sci fi explanation, the guy is a Goa'uld and he's controlling everyone's minds!!! :rommie:

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Cult isn't really a serial killer show, and its premise is quite different to and much more complicated than that of The Following. Cult is about a TV show about a cult leader with a following of brainwashed minions who do his bidding. This TV show in turn has a rabid cult following of fans. When real life starts to imitate the TV show there's an open question as to whether it's a case of crazed fans playing copycat or whether the show has some kind of supernatural effect on reality. Robert Knepper is playing an actor named Roger Reeves who plays Billy Grimm, the cult leader, on the TV show.

8. Temis the Vorta

Here's the description of Cult from Deadline:
    And from The Daily Beast:

If there are multiple suspected murders, then this is serial killing. Maybe it's also serial-other-crimes as well - kidnapping, torture - I won't begrudge them that, they need to fill a lot of episodes. Given that they cast Robert Knepper as the mastermind, they won't be holding back on the heinousness of the crimes, because he's the go-to guy for psychos.

In both shows, the problem is the same: how to make this premise work without turning the cult members into dolts or zombies? Either the writing needs to be fiendishly clever or they should go for a supernatural or sci fi angle, even lightly.

Cult
    anyway sounds like it's going to get trippy, which is why I think it'll be more successful. The Following looks like it'll get dull and repetitious pretty fast. Maybe people aren't being killed, but spirited away to another dimension? Sure, count me in! :D

9. Temis the Vorta

Hulk not dead yet! Hulk smash puny ABC!

10. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last time a director I liked tackled Mr. Purple Pants, he was Ang Lee. So understandably wary, even with del Toro's involvement.

I think the solution is obvious, and pretty much there in the premise:

Make them fans.

Putting the 'fan' back into 'fan'atic, after all. Take the crazy obsessiveness people can have over a TV show, and then just use those kind of personalities going murderous. (Copycat killing, then we see the fans afterwards critiquing it as if it's a bit of fan fiction that got some of the continuity wrong.) It could be pretty fun.

11. Temis the Vorta

But why would fans go outdoors and kill people when they can stay indoors on the internet and argue people to death? :D

Nah, I want Cult to be a front for recruiting humans into an extradimensional alien army. The Following will be as boring as it looks and I'll probably drop it after the first episode.

12. Temis the Vorta

Marvel projects on the way from ABC?

That makes sense, since OUaT began life inspired by Disney's fairy tale movie tradition. Now Marvel is Disney's pet.

They should do Dr. Strange - great synergy with OUaT and 666 Park Ave! Kick Revenge out of the 9pm Sunday slot and sub in the Sorcerer Supreme!!! :D

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I'd rather see Doc Strange than the Hulk. I think Jessica Jones would have been a better choice, too, because she would have a lot of guest heroes.

14. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

I'm not sure that it did too well. A sequel was planned but hasn't materialised. Also, it's now on Netflix (over here anyway).

No comment. :)

15. Temis the Vorta

Here are the genre show trailers (and a buncha other crap about country music and firefighters.)

ABC: 666 Park Ave, Zero Hour, Last Resort and Neighbors, but do yourself a favor and skip that last one. :wtf:

NBC: Revolution and Do No Harm.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Definitely a no on Neighbors, but 666 Park Avenue and Last Resort both look like they have potential.
    EDIT: Zero Hour looks pretty cool too.

17. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Last Resort and Revolution are by far the most interesting looking of next Fall's crop. But both look so front loaded and expensive that they are going to have to pull great ratings to survive.

Plus(and it is just speculation) I very much doubt either show really has a concrete idea what they are going to do after their big expensive pilot episodes. Last Resort especially does not seem like a show that can sustain that premise for very long. At least not if it hopes to maintain the sense of realism that the trailer indicated.

18. Temis the Vorta

Last Resort especially is one where I wonder, how far did they think this through? If Andre Braugher is aghast at the idea of killing innocents, his nukes aren't much of a threat. I can't imagine how he'd be able to find a target that's guaranteed to hit only "the bad people who are behind all of this."

Also: didn't he know that taking orders to nuke a country, no questions asked, would be a possible part of the job when he took it?

Anyway - TNT and TBS have announced their future development slates, with some genre stuff mixed in.

Zone Lord
    sounds like it could be fun, depending on casting.

As for tone, we won't be getting TNT mixed up with AMC anytime soon:

And that goes double for TBS:

19. Temis the Vorta

LA Noir news.

The show sounds like a sure thing, with the boss touting it already, but from what I can deduce, it won't appear till Summer 2013? I was hoping to see it sooner than that.

TNT's overall plans, from a different story.

20. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last Resort looked interesting, but it's going to get killed in that timeslot. :(