Laura Vandervoort cast as lead in "Bitten"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lucky, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

2. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How coincidental (for me) that my brother and I just met her yesterday!

Lovely person. Good for her.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder what the saturation point is for the core supernatural elements (vamps/werewolves/zombies/ghosts). Maybe it's more a matter of something new grabbing the public than petering out on its own.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

MTV has already beaten them to the punch with the werewolf show "Teen Wolf". ;)

She should have just done a "Supergirl" series. :p

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

My understanding is that the books are very popular.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, as far as I know it seem to be one of the more popular urban fantasy series. It is actually one of the next series I've been planning on starting.
    One thing I'm curious about is if we will be seeing any of the leads from the other books. The different stories all rotate between 9 different narrators throught the 13 novels, and even more if you toss in the numerous short stories.
    The author was hinting at some big casting news on her blog the other day, this must be what it was.
    I'm a big fan of Vandervoort so I'm happy with the choice.

7. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Classically (meaning in my lifetime,) werewolves are about the threat felt from overpowering urges for sexual aggression, rape. That's why there have been so few female werewolves I think. But the article seems to focus on the mother defending the cubs, but the character is without any cubs?

8. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

Its been awhile since i read the book Bitten but from what i remember the theme is definitely Elena being caught between her civilised human self and her beastial nature and what happens when you dont balance the two which is a classic theme in many werewolf novels as well as Jekyl and Hyde though its usually male werewolfs who get to struggle with this.

Basically Elena is a werwolf but she hasnt really embraced being a werwolf and is trying to live a perfectly civilised human life in teh city whilst ignoring and suppressing her beastial nature as much as she can. Going back to the pack to help them out also means being in the countryside and the company of other wolves which call out the wolf side of her that shes been suppressing up til now. And no the author doesnt go down the cliche route of having her beast side reassert itself in a dramatic and tragic way. Its a lot more subtle and complex a situation than that.

I dont want to go into too much detail or reveal what the threat to the pack is (which fits perfectly with the theme of civilised vs beastial self) as i assume people who havent read teh books, are interested in watching the series, and dotn want to eb spoiled are gonna read this thread. So im gonna shut up now.

9. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Cool. I have the book on CD and thought that it was a well-written and enjoyable book that, thankfully, as many other people have pointed out, avoided a lot of the cliches that could've cheapened it. Hopefully, the series will be available for download or on DVD at some point

10. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Great news, there's like no tv shows with werewolves, vampires or anything supernatural really out there. This should be like totally interesting.

11. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

I hope you're joking, right?

True Blood pretty much focused on vampires, but had a fair amount of werewolf content too.

Q2

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I think Garak was being sarcastic.;)

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

At the start of the series she doesn't have kids.

14. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, but they were pretty forgettable. The females were into rough sex and uncontrollable passion/aggression, more or less the rape motif. But these werewolves didn't concern themselves much with human beings, which drastically lowered the drawbacks to being a werewolf. But then, True Blood as a whole more or less deintensifies everything. Transgressive vampire sex, werewolf rapine, none of it's very much complicated by conscience.

Thanks.

And thanks to you as well.