Were those Talaxians Neelix rescued even in the Delta Quadrant?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Infern0, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From looking at ye olde map of the galaxy, going off Voyager being 70,000ly from earth at the time of "caretaker", factoring all the jumps they used, by the time they reached the Talaxian asteroid colony, they must have at LEAST been on the very, very edge of the Delta Quadrant, if not over it and into the Beta Quadrant.

Anyone know the location of that Colony in relation to the quadrants?

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

Maybe.

There is a blurry map.

Then there's this from the following episode...

So they were close.

"Ish"

3. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^but isn't that dialogue completely made up by the doctor (masquerading as Janeway) to convince chakotay to give up the warp core

I think purely from the distance already travelled, they must logically be fairly close to the edge of the delta quadrant at least (though I always assumed they were aiming to cross into the alpha quadrant, not the beta so what do I know)

4. Guy Gardener

The only way as the crow flies (through space and explodes) to get to the Alpha Quadrant from the Delta Quadrant is to arrive at the centre of the Galaxy, then find the absolute centre of whatever that "place" is, and then stand on the geometric axis of the galaxy, which even then would superposition you simultaneously in the Alpha, Beta, Delta and Gamma Guardrants... So baring cheating with wormholes and the suchlike, you gotta go through the Beta Quadrant (or the Gamma Quadrant) to find the Federation in the Alpha Quadrant.

1.The centre of the Galaxy is a mess of black holes every thing else revolves around which would be a bitch to navigate through even without a manchild at the helm.

2. The Great Barrier (Star Trek Movie 5.) is unpassable. Sybok did something funky that opened the door, but other than that, unpassable.

3. I'm being a dick. Sorry.

5. DeepSpaceWine

DeepSpaceWine Commander Red Shirt

I agree the Doctor is lying there, but the part about being on this side of the Delta Quadrant/Beta Quadrant border would be accurate. Of course, those thousands of parsecs would extend not just towards the border but also perpendicular to it, above it & below it relative to Voyager's position, so in theory, it might not be as large as it seems in terms of the current position to the Delta/Beta border.

6. Guy Gardener

Does anyone believe that Chakotay is such an idiot that he doesn't know where a 50 thousand light year by 1 thousand light year (declining to 0) wedge in space is?

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

With google there is no excuse for not knowing this. Maybe his pride kept him from googleing?

8. Guy Gardener

Google wouldn't have survived WWIII unless it became self aware first.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it very strange that a Talaxian colony suddenly appeared in their path, but then again they have found human colonies out there ("The 37's"), so why not? Humans can't be the only ones who like to fly around the galaxy and fall through wormholes and stuff.

I remember seeing a page somewhere where someone was complaining that some Voyager aliens re-appeared 200 years earlier and on the other side of the galaxy in Enterprise. My thoughts were the same then.

10. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

*edit

nevermind

11. DeepSpaceWine

DeepSpaceWine Commander Red Shirt

The producers wanted a happy ending for Neelix and for him to be off the ship, so they didn't care where they pulled Talaxians out of to get there near the border. However, unlike some other geographic discrepancies here, there is an in-canon possible explanation: the Vaadwaur underspace corridors. If I remember the maps correctly, they go from Talaxia (we know that because the Vaadwaur were in their fairy tales) down to just a little bit past the Vaadwaur homeworld in early Season 6. It's possible those refuges fell into it and traveled through Underspace til they ended up on the far side of it.

12. teacake

Why did the producers want Neelix off the ship?

It was a good ending for him :)

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I always thought a "Wormhole did it" was the explanation for how the Talaxian ship got out so far.

14. teacake

Wormholes are useful like that.

15. Guy Gardener

Neelix can't have a happily ever after on Voyager. He's been trying to get his end away foe four years since Kes left and no one was biting. He'd failed at every romantic pairing on the ship that hadn't already paired off or was out of bounds like the Captan...

4 years and no one.

That's hard.

Although I suppose if a town bike like Tom Paris hadn't cycled though the trust, sympathy and naivity of the female compliment in the first couple weeks list in the Delta Quadrant, all their bedrooms wouldn't be double deadbolted againtst disusting Lothario's by Season Seven.

16. teacake

If only other people had the great excuse, "I was trapped on a starship".

17. Guy Gardener

Aryn once said to John "You made the best choice from limited options." which was just beautiful when he said "bullshit" towards those concerns, but when Chief tyrol said "I made the best choice out of limited options" he was just being a son of a bitch becuase his wife was already dead.

It would seem that the majority of peopel on Voyager did not make any choice at all since they were all frakk happy overnight furloughs in the bosom of Fairhaven's batteries of holobrothels.

18. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

The producers in season 7 actively prevented Voyager from getting to the Beta Quadrant. The show had hung it's hat on the "Delta Quadrant" banner for so long, that the idea of them actually crossing into the Beta Quadrant was a non-starter for them. The Klingon ship, the Talaxians, half of Season 7, all of it should have happened in the Beta Quadrant.

They missed a golden opportunity for some storylines by having Voyager travel through the opposite side of the Romulan Empire, the side of which humans had never seen.

19. teacake

Oh I got chills reading that!

Even though the side no humans have seen is probably just a bunch of crap mining planets stocked with Remans.

20. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Well, we'll never know now, will we???