The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by backstept, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Still, even at 100,000 Steam players a day, that's <2% of the total sales of the game after 2 days alone! Which sort of indicates that consoles have the larger share of Skyrim players (despite the fact that every article online basically assumes you're playing on PC can can mod and do console commands) by a pretty significant margin.

Would be interesting to see some actual stats on it, though.

2. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

on a side note, this lovely image was in Bethesda's latest newsletter :D

[​IMG]

3. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally the latest patch will add 4GB memory capability! Now us PC users won't have to rely on a fix from fellow modders :D
    They should have enabled this from the start . . . before I found the Large Address Aware mod I was getting purple trees and buildings (not enough memory for textures I think), and random CTDs

4. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Why is the 4GB thing an issue? I can't remember which one, but there was another fairly new game I played recently that couldn't take advantage of RAM over 2GB until they patched it after a while. You would think that would be something that would be enabled from the get-go.

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

It probably stems from them gearing PC ports toward 32-bit Windows systems (as a lowest common denominator), which can't address 4GB of RAM anyway. So they may not even test a 64-bit system with 4GB+ in it.

6. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

After more than 96 hours, I finally got my Skyrim Platinum Trophy. ;)

7. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Well, just got it myself for XMas, and the scope of this thing is mind-blowing. I just purchased the (hardcover) game book at GameStop and it's about the size of War & Peace. Seriously, it's a tome! So far, the only complaint I have is that I don't think the combat system is quite as streamlined as either Dragon Age or Fable. Other than that, it's simply stunning.

8. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have Skyrim on PC and can't imagine it any other way.

9. AdAstra

AdAstra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can get a few freezes every time I play, at about the same playtime and savegame size... :-S

10. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I think the game froze on me twice in more than 96 hours of game play. While not ideal, that's not so terrible.

11. AdAstra

AdAstra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's not bad.

It froze twice yesterday evening and I think 3-4 times the day before... :-/

12. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm about 45 hours in on the Xbox and have yet to have any issues at all. Loving this game.

13. Klingon Empire

Klingon Empire Captain Captain

The only glitch I had really was where a Dragon decided to fight a small mudcrab over a large group of Armed guards and myself.

14. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Oblivion guards would always say that they've fought mudcrabs that were stronger than you. This is that mudcrab, apparently.

15. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Bought it for Christmas and have been playing it on and off these past few days and loving it.

The combat system drove me nuts in the beginning until i got the hang of it. I really like that you are still taking damage even if you block the strike (prevents holing up behind a shield and striking occasionally i guess) but i'm still trying to find the right weapon/equipment combo.

Currently i'm trying out two weapons but somehow i'm too uncoordinated to play that effectively it seems (playing on the Xbox).. i basically just powerattack and then the character performs a 3 part combo strike which takes out lesser creatures in a single attack.

Am currently at level 10 and still running around in the greater Whiterun area exploring it.

16. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

So, I got the game over the holidays and I think it's quite good. I'm even getting to grips with the interface which I don't think is that bad. I do miss an actual inventory though. The thing that does disappoint me the most so far though are the horses. In Oblivion, it felt like the horses were characters and it was an elegant way to travel. In Skyrim, they've been reduced to being mere objects. I can't see any way of transferring items to the inventory and use the horse as a pack animal. And what's with only being able to ride horses in 3rd person?

The environment also seems much sparser than it was in Oblivion. I admit, I'm still quite early in the game, but it doesn't seem as much a living breathing world as it was in Oblivion, with seemingly less random encounters and less wildlife.

I did have a funny random encounter though. I was walking on my way to Valheim Keep when I encountered 3 characters who reluctantly introduced themselves as imperial officers and who requested 100 gold from me as a fine. I paid it and they were on their way. There were also 3 bodies on the ground which I inspected and they were 3 imperial officers stripped of everything.

17. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Hah! That's awesome, I'll keep an eye out for that.

18. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

So, yeah. 1000/1000. I have had absolutely no life for the past couple of months.

19. Niorah

Niorah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, they're just bandits. I said "Like Hell I'll pay you.", killed them all and took all their armour and weapons to resell them and make some money out of it. :evil:

20. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Same here. :D