Star Trek: Into Darkness Discussion [**NO SPOILERS PLEASE**]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Amaris, May 10, 2013.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey everyone,

I see all of these threads about the movie coming out, and while I want to discuss the movie, speculate, and what have you, I can't possibly do it in these threads because they have so many major spoilers, and for me (Ohio, USA), the movie won't be out for another 5 days.

So please, if anyone wants to discuss the movie, without spoilers, I'd rather it be here rather than the spoilertastic threads elsewhere.

Which reminds me, did anyone else watch Benedict Cumberbatch's appearance on David Letterman this evening? I've never really watched him in anything, but just from the few clips and trailers I've seen, he looks like he's going to be a fantastic villain.

Tomorrow, he has Chris Pine, and so I'll be watching that too. If all goes well, I'll be at the advanced screening Wednesday at Midnight (well, okay, Thursday at 12:01 AM), and I can't wait.

One of my friends who is going with me is worried the movie will be terrible, due to one of his friends, who is a Star Trek fan, who saw it this past week and was "disappointed."

I told him that it's best just to see it for himself and make his own decisions, because every Trek fan is going to react differently to this movie. Hopefully, the experience will be very positive. If not, I'll be disappointed, though I won't rant, rave, or hate on it. However, I have a feeling the movie will be top notch, and I'm going in with fair to good sized expectations.

Anyone else?

2. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm really looking forward to it. I'm a spoiler hound, but I won't bring those into this thread!

And you're right: fans, like critics, are all going to have different opinions about the movie. But I look at it like this: this is the first new piece of Star Trek on film or on television since 2009. I say enjoy it!

I've also reserved a ticket for the Wednesday midnight showing. It's the first time I've ever done that! I normally just wait until the weekend to see the big film, but with this, I just couldn't wait.

3. Amaris

Yes! Same here. I'm jumping on the movie bus as soon as I can. I'm picking up my tickets for the advance screening later today, and on Wednesday night, around 11 o'clock, we're all going to pile into my way-too-small-for-more-than-one-person car, and head on up to the theater, where I will buy myself a boatload of popcorn, and a large diet Sprite (and maybe a box of Sno-Caps).

At which point I will play the Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force arcade game they have in the lobby, and then it will be movie time. I have already made it my personal vow to break every cell phone that lights up in front of me. :ouch:

4. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Let me tell you as someone who has seen it.
    One viewing may not be enough to make up your mind.
    The movie has a lot of things to take in and once you managed to process it you may want to see it again to make sure your opinion is valid. ;)

In my opinion it has some stylistic choices and characterizations that not all people will agree with, but it firmly puts the story back in the Trek universe we all know and love.

It is a seperate timeline but keeps it's ties to the prime universe.

Not a spoiler, but watch out for a couple starship models from the past. Made me grin.

There is probably a lot of stuff I missed on first viewing as well, which I have time to look for because know I know what to expect. :)

5. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

For me it started off well and then went down hill.

6. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I LOVED the movie. It's HIGHLY entertaining from start to finish, and for me, totally embodied the action adventure feel of TOS - with some excellent characterisation. It's a Star Trek film through and through - a Star Trek:TOS film that is! An unreserved five star rating from me without hesitation. I'm going again with my wife and a couple of friends tomorrow - can't wait!

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

There was one moment that took me right out of the film. Other than that, it was wonderful. In fact, until that moment I was sat there thinking, "This is the best Trek film of them all" and even with that moment, it was still a very good film. I can't wait to see it again! 8/10

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL, nice try, greedy producers.

9. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This post has been taken from my brain verbatim. :techman:

10. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Actually, the number of films that benefit from repeat viewings is at least in the hundreds, likely in the thousands. Rare is the viewer, even the most seasoned and well-versed, who catches everything of note in every film on a first screening (and those who claim such are bullshitters). The same applies to novels, poetry, plays, comics, music, works of fine art…

I cannot claim that the new Trek movie fits this category (haven't seen it yet) but the idea that more than one viewing might be needed of a film to make an informed judgement of it is certainly valid.

11. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

It might be diffeent if you are already heavily spoilered on the story and characters.
    But I was completely unprepared.
    All my knowledge of of it consisted of the trailers (which were designed to be misleading themselves) and the appearance of some John Harrison played by Benedict Cumberbatch.
    So it was pretty much a rollercoaster ride without knowing the turns and loops and you miss the view if you ride it that way.

12. Amaris

Awesome! Yes, this is why I want to be unspoiled. I know a few tiny bits and pieces, but I have stayed away from any actual spoilers all this time, and I'm now 5 days away from the movie, all in good shape.

I get what you're saying about having to see it more than once. I had to see Star Trek XI at least 3 times while it was in the theater, which was unprecedented for me, but it was that much fun, and there was so much to take in.

I can't wait to (hopefully) do the same here. :D

13. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

J. Allen, if you felt that way about Trek '09, I'd say it's almost a certainty you'll be (minimally) doing the same for STID! To say there's a lot to take in is a HUGE, whopper of an understatement! :techman:

Edit For Spelling: just noticed my iPad dropped in "HUGH" instead of "HUGE"!!! My spelling isn't that bad - honest guvna!

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  14. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Well, speaking as someone who liked Star Trek (2009) a lot and even went to see it a second time, I was rather disappointed by Into Darkness. The movie looks and sounds great, but, personally, I thought the writing and acting was all over the place. I'm glad so many people are enjoying it, but for me personally it didn't do much. :(

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

And that's what they could come up with in 4 years!

16. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with repeat viewings. I saw 09 three times and I could relax a little knowing the story and could take in more stuff such as call backs and certain things such as effects and sound. Sounds silly but its true.

I plan on seeing STID at least one more time. It needs it. Cannot make up my mind after one sitting.

Every trek fan will love it at some point though.

17. Amaris

Midnight Showing, Wednesday (well, Thursday at 12:01 AM, technically)
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

[​IMG]

18. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

My new favourite third movie, eclipsed Star Trek TUC for me...

I'd now rated my list as

8>2>12>6>11>who cares

I will say its just great to me there are people appreciating and discovering the rest of Star Trek through these movies too.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The Danbarry - Middletown must be far different than the Danbarry - Florence! I went to ours once and it was the worst experience I ever had in a theater. Terrible chairs, terrible sound system and the picture was incredibly dim. :eek:

I'm going to AMC Newport on the Levee.

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

That's how ST:TMP made all its money. Even fans who absolutely hated it went back 15 times.