Business Website Hosting Suggestions

Discussion in 'Web Sites/Design' started by Kestra, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

So I'm going to be doing a website for a business through Wordpress and I'm not sure what to look for in terms of hosting. I know Wordpress recommends a few, but does anyone in a similar situation have any suggestions? What should I be looking for in terms of a good deal?

Hi Alidar!

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

3. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Don't make me post something more controversial and make you do actual work!

4. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well pretty much all hosting providers will have everything you need these days, just make sure you have MySQL, PHP, FTP, and Control Panel access so you can create MySQL databases, which you'll need to do to install Wordpress. Having said that, most of the major providers will probably have a script library with a one button install for Wordpress which creates the database for you.

Most of them will blab on about unlimited bandwidth, webspace etc, but unless you are running some sort of video based site, or expecting squillions of visitors a month you probably won't get through more than a few Gigabytes of throughput a month.

I can't speak to the quality of different hosting providers in the US I am afraid as I am in the UK, and I rent my own server and actually sell hosting accounts myself. But I don't think that would be practical for you, go with somebody you can contact for support in the daytime. Just read plenty of reviews on different providers, make sure the one you go with has an money-back uptime guarantee (constant, uninterrupted service), as any provider worth their salt these days should have 100% uptime.

I doubt you'll need to be paying much more than $50 - $80 a year to get a decent service.