Would a Babylon 5 animated series work?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aquehonga, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

And I mean a series aimed at & for adults. Young folks & teens would be free to watch if they wanted to. In fact they should.

I watched ST, the TZ & like shows/films since I was in the 1st & 2nd grade. Had B5 existed way back then I would've watched that too. And even at those young ages I knew, got what was going on, at least most of it.

Kids are no different now. So, cartoon or not, the youngins & teens should watch an animated B5 series if they want to.

The youngins/teens "tangent" aside, I'll get to the main point(s?).

*If JMS were to make a B5 animated series, he should hire the highest quality writers around, assuming JMS himself wouldn't be the primary writer for suggested series.

*Should such a series be a telenovel like the original B5? Or should it be self-contained tales for the most part? Or be a Babylon Five-rse anthology? Should it be in a ST style involving ships exploring? Or be B5 centered? Or both? Such a series could be a combination of all the things suggested so far, allowing episodes exploring various aspects & history of the B5-rse. Other options?

*Should the show be on a network,syndicated or on a subscription cable/satellite channel (HBO,SHOW)? How many episodes should there be per season? How long should the episodes be? Should there be 90-minute B5 animated films as part or in addition to a half-hour or hour show?

*Who would the actors/actresses be supplying the voices? Who should they be? IE(suggestions):Original B5 castmembers obviously. But Mark Hamill, Frank Welker, Nichelle Nichols, Leonard Nimoy, Kate Mulgrew etc would be great to have also.

*The type of animation is very important also. It goes without saying the folks who make Transformers:Animated would NOT be allowed to make this show, or be allowed anywhere near it, EVER!

No one, in their right mind(s), want(s) to see Sinclair, Sheridan, Londo, Ivanova, Garibaldi, etc with chins HUGE, loooong & DEEP enough to fill the Grand Canyon.:wtf:

Wtf is up with that Jay Leno chin crap on TF:A? NONE of that puh-leez!?!?

*.....................?

YOUR thoughts>

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I think sometimes...we should let stories just be self contained. B5's story was told. Sure, the Universe is ripe for more stories, but I would rather be left wanting more than seeing stories that are wanting...

3. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Have y'all ever seen Babylon Park?

OMG! They killed Koshi!!

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

After all the attempted spin-offs and side stories written besides the five year arc, I'd vote no on this. It either wouldn't last or wouldn't be very good. Either way, we'd end up being disappointed. It's best to let Babylon 5 lie dormant for a while.

5. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, it would only be a case of "well we can't make another series so lets make a cartoon instead".

B5 is done, it was great, leave it at that.

6. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

:lol:

Good one:techman:

:guffaw:

7. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd watch it in a second. But like the others have said, I think the B5 story has pretty much been told. Time to let it rest.

8. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Why the need to hire Kate Mulgrew?

Have you not seen Claudia's impression?!?

9. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

I'd watch it and buy it on DVD. But I'm not sure how good it would be. Especially given the budget constraints it would likely have.

JMS was able to put together a couple of low-budget but reasonably decent 'episodes' with The Lost Tales.

If they were gonna tell anymore B5 stories, I'd prefer them in that format. Not as cartoons.

I think the B5 universe is too complex for cartoons anyway.

10. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Animated? Well, I suppose as a spin-off of some of the stories we never got much of in the series.

Sheridan and the Rangers

Lyta and The Vorlon
    The Adventures of G'Kar and the Teep
    The New Adventures of G'Kar (featuring Dr. Franklin)
    The Prophetic Adventures of Valen and Zathris
    The Grim Adventures of Londo Mollari and the Keeper

Mr. Garabaldi's Missing Hair

The possibilities are endless.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Hey hey, a Valen animated series could be pretty cool. That's one chapter of the series completely unexplored that could have a ton of action... against the Shadows!

12. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I certainly would like to see Valen's story beyond the three-part comic book series -- perhaps a novel.

13. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

Oy, that's a can of worms.

14. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree in this case. The Lost Tales left me feeling exactly that way.

15. Plain Simple

Plain Simple Commodore Commodore

Good stories can work in any medium, so why not cartoons. Although the quality of all the B5 stand alone projects doesn't particularly make me want more. If they could do a longer story arc fleshing out one of the stories that were referenced to in the series but never told (not on the tv screen anyway, I know some of it was told in the books, but I never read any of those and I assume nor have most people who saw B5 on tv), like the story of Londo and the keeper, or the telepath war, the resolution of the drakh plague, stuff like that.

16. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've heard of that but I've never been able to find it. Is it available on video and/or can it be streamed/downloaded online? Please do let me know. Thanks!

17. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure. I think I got my copy at a convention - no, I got it thru Pat Tallman's fan club (which no longer exists, sadly).

18. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They should remake Crusade as a 26-episode anime series in a joint venture with Gainax.

19. Plain Simple

Plain Simple Commodore Commodore

There's a little clip here: http://infinicorp.com/babylonpark/

Edit: and here's some: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_PvyA45S_k

20. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

The main reason why I'd be interested in seeing an animated B5 would be for the ability to see truly alien characters in truly alien settings. It seemed to me when reading the original series outline in the script books that Delenn remained far more Minbari in that than she ended up in the series. I'd have enjoyed seeing more of the crystaline structures of Minbar, too.

My main reason for not being interested is because much of what made B5 special was the subtlety of some of the performances even without words. I'm not sure that the power of Londo watching the bombardment of Narn would be able to be carried over into animation.

Jan