Breaking Bad Final Half Season

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Chuck Finley, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

the ricin is for Hank, the m-60 is for Jesse

2. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If he was serious about retiring in the first place, he probably should have just killed Lydia. She's never been a stable influence anyhow

3. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Yes, but killing Jesse would be the most gruesome yet appropriate end result of Walter White's total moral decay. I can see Vince Gilligan going there at the end.

Dead men can't get immunity to testify against you in court. Jesse knows where all the bodies are buried. Literally.

4. Chuck Finley

Chuck Finley Commander

I'm not going to abbreviate, OH MY GOD! This was incredible, I did not see a confrontation coming right off the bat. I did anticipate Lydia attempting to reel Walt back in. When Walt began to walk away from Hank, I knew he wouldn't just let it go, but I thought he would be more coy about it. Walt just threatened Hank in full Heisenberg mode.

The Star Trek references were awesome and I think it was intentional that Beaver was screwing up his facts.

The opening sequence was quite revealing. At this point, the house is dilapidated and Heisenberg is written on the wall. A significant amount of time would have to pass for a house to be in that bad of shape. I'm thinking maybe a year or two. Obviously the cat is out of the bag. I almost wonder if Walt has faked his death at that point.

Jesse, well, I knew he was growing a conscious and obviously, he does not believe Walt. I'm glad they cut to the chase and we'll see things move along pretty quickly, I believe.

5. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It reminded me of the season 7 premiere of Dexter in that respect. ;)

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ On Talking Bad, Vince Gilligan said that they did consider dragging it out. I'm glad they didn't. With so many episodes to go, it looks like Hank will simmer down a bit and get reeled into Walt's game like Skyler was.

As for the flash forward, I'm wondering why Walt is after somebody. They made it a point to show us that everything is out in the open and that he has nothing left to lose.

7. Agent Richard07

8. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

:lol: That's awesome.

Wow, so much of consequence happened in just this one episode. From the start we learn that Walt apparently did change his identity and that he's been uncovered as Heisenberg (my money is on Jesse spilling the beans). That scene with Carol was great.
    Jesse spreading his money around means trouble for all of them and I suppose could be the beginning of the uncovering of Heisenberg. Lydia's return spells trouble for Walt, too.
    And then we have the confrontation between Walt and Hank which was great. I wonder how the fact that Walt knows that Hank knows and vice versa will play out over the rest of the season.

9. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

God damn that was good. Loved the flashforward opening, with the old abandoned house. While it was obvious Walt hung around for a while after being discovered, I never would have expected it to be that long. It makes me wonder if he was even being chased down by the DEA in the first place, because it's hard to imagine him risking a return trip if he were.

Maybe it's only Jesse or Hank that he's on the run from.

The other thing that surprised me was the way they had Hank reacting to all this. Like most people, I was kinda expecting him to play things calm, cool, and collected around Walt for a few episodes until he gathered all his evidence. But now I realize how much of a TV cliche that probably was.

The way they did it felt much more real and believable. If you just learned your friend had killed a bunch of people, and was the man responsible for a lot of the pain and suffering you yourself went through, you'd probably be so deeply shaken that you'd have a hard time even looking him in the eye, as we saw with Hank. The last thing you'd be able to do was just "act natural."

I loved when Walt questions him about the tracker, and it's obvious Hank just doesn't have it in him to come up with an excuse or other explanation, like he might have in the past. All he can do is just confront Walt with what he now knows.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I got the impression Hank would have played it coy and was planning to build a case before saying anything, but then when Walt confronted him about the tracking device he was smart enough to know Walt knew he knew so he had no more incentive to be coy.

So I gather from these comments, the cold open that I missed involved Walt going back to his home to get the ricin from the plug socket? I definitely see Walt easily going after Lydia, but throughout the series Jesse and Hank have been his soft spots. Those are the two people he's taken on personal risks to protect. And I have a hard time seeing Jesse testify against Walt. Saul and Todd, even less likely than Jesse. Badger, Skinny Pete, maybe. Lydia, definitely. Skylar, I can easily see her testifying against Walt if it protects her from accessory charges.

I doubt the ricin is for Hank. He would only benefit from Hank's death if he did it before he were caught. By this time, Hank has fully written out and documented everything he knows and his death would only strengthen the case against Walt. Jesse, Lydia or Skylar is more likely.

12. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering if Walt's M-60 might be intended for the assholes sent by Lydia's European co-conspirators to insist--emphatically--that Walt resume cooking their 99% pure meth. Although that would be a pretty par-for-the-course plot development, and watching Walt vs. Hank would probably be a lot more fun.

13. davejames

I think Hank was planning on just avoiding Walt altogether until he made a decision on what to do with him. It was obvious he had a hard time even being in the same room as Walt, let alone playing coy and putting on a big smile like everything was normal.

And you do realize this is cable, and they rerun shows multiple times a week, right? ;) There shouldn't be any reason to miss the opening scene of a show nowadays, and that's the last thing I'd want to do with a show as good as this.

14. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Indeed, I think they re-ran this episode just an hour or so later, didn't they? ;)

15. Nomad

Nomad Commander Red Shirt

Mythbusters is doing a Breaking Bad special tonight, for those who're interested.

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Walt is going after Hank for wrecking the end of his life. Hank wants revenge and will destroy the few remaining months of Walt's life (If he was telling the truth).

I'm glad it wasn't drawn out and then have Hank hide too. Your brother in law and friend killed dozens of people, wrecked countless other lives and the first thing I would have done is hit him too.

17. Chuck Finley

Chuck Finley Commander

What would be Awsome is if we could get a reference to a pie eating contest in Star Trek XIII. Obviously you couldn't have a scene like that, but still.

18. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I was a little disappointed that the confrontation came so quickly. I envisioned more of a cat and mouse game where Hank knows or strongly suspects Walt's involvement and proceeds with a clandestne investigation while Walt suspects Hank knows and adds heading Hank off at every pass, to his juggling act.

IMO, one of Hank's biggest concerns will be how it will look for a cop of his staure to have one of the biggest drug trafficers in the state's hustory carrying on business "right under his nose". That was the thing that caused his boss to have to leave the force in disgrace. But that would be heavily mitigated if Hank is the one to bring Hisenberg to justice.

No matter. Vince knows what he is doing. So now we'll see both men knowing and Walt playing defense while Hank is on offense. Wow, when will Hank find out about Skylar's involvement? How will he react to that?
    Agree with your take on Walt's plans for Jessie. But I think it would be more interesting to see the great Hisenberg finally come up short while trying to remove a "problem" from his life. Walt fails in his attempt to kill Jessie and Jessie kills Walt. This has been a scenario discussed by others in past threads.
    Me too.
    Walt was in full "Gus" mode while working at A-1, wasn't he? "Have an A-1 day", indeed.
    Hysterical scene.
    Yes, it appears "everyone" knows he is Hisenberg. But the scene with Carol puzzled me. She reacted to seeing him like maybe she thought he was dead. But why confirm his identity by speaking to her? I think there is more to this scene than there appears to be. Oh, understatment, you say? 8^)

19. Agent Richard07

Never heard the term "cold open" before. Had to look it up.

I thought it was a little over the top, especially with the car crash, but it's drama and that's what the show does.

I thought that she was just surprised to see him back.

20. davejames

I've heard that argument made a lot-- that going to the DEA would make Hank look like either a fool or an accomplice, after using so much of Walt's money for rehab-- but I'm not sure I really buy that.

Surely the DEA would take Hank's side in all this, considering they had all been duped by Walt just as much as Hank had been. And it's doubtful Hank would have spent so much time obsessing over catching Heisenberg if he already knew who he was. And surely this isn't the first time cops or agents have been fooled by people close to them.

I'm sure Walt will still try to blackmail Hank in some way, but I think he'll have to get a bit more creative than that.