DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've noticed most if not all the designs for characters in the New 52 seem to have a conformity about them (not sure if that is the right word to describe my observations or not).

2. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

How is the new 52 Captain Atom title? Is it any good or is it worthy of being in the next round of cancellations?

3. Admiral_Young

It hasn't been cancelled yet, far as I know. I'm wondering if we'll get any Secret Origins (not Secret Origin) for the 52'Verse? I think the last Secret Origins issue we got was for Final Crisis. Also...and I can't remember now if I stated this earlier in the thread or in the other news thread, but the Who's Who that was announced two years ago at SDCC (maybe longer now) is pretty much dead (duh) probably to do with the relaunch happening. Robert Greenberger was supposed to write them.

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Talia is in Batman Inc Leviathan Strikes.

And one of the main characters in Demon Knights I suspect is a younger version of Ra's in better times.

5. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, it looks like everyone shops at Jim Lee's Super Suit Emporium.

6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I have just finished reading this arc, and I keep thinking there is a continuity error. In issue one, the green plane flies over Vic's head and in issue two, the Mother Box at STAR labs is said to come from Superman's battle prior to the end of issue one. The STAR labs are in Detroit but all other clues seem to imply that GreenLantern and Batman meet Superman in Metropolis. Any suggestions about this?

7. Admiral_Young

I don't think this has been brought up before...and the way the arc was written, I wouldn't be surprised if there were continuity glitches. The only theory I have was that Star Labs has a Metropolis lab and perhaps they requested a transfer from the Detroit lab??

8. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

No, because Vic shows up at the lab to see his father. Continuity error is my theory.

9. Admiral_Young

Ah right. I forgot about that panel. I've got nothing now lol.

10. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

But the "Leviathan Strikes" issue was still set in the old DC universe, according to Stewart, the artist. So her appearance there doesn't mean a lot for the New 52.

11. Admiral_Young

This is true...it took place before Flashpoint and resolved Steph's "Batgirl" arc. When she appears in Batman, Incorporated which does take place in the 52'Verse, she will be Spoiler again.

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I think the most reasonable option: poor communication between writers. And bad bad editing.

13. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't had a chance to get to my LCS in a few weeks, but judging from the comments here and my own lack of enjoyment from the issues, I think I've decided to drop Justice League. It's a shame that for the better (worse?) part of the past 10 years, no one can seem to write a decent Justice League in my opinion.

As I've said before, I had high hopes for Johns, given his ability to capture the voices of so many different characters and his ability to write a damned good JSA comic. Honestly, in looking at it, I think where Johns went wrong was when he stopped trying to capture the essence of these characters from other writers and started coming up with his own interpretation of their characterization.

14. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

There's also a good chance that Johns can use his position as a sales powerhouse and part of upper management to not listen to editors.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

How do you edit the CCO or the Co-Publishers?

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

That implies DC edits anything. Their pre-Flashpoint work really shows the editors don't do anything involving their job title.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I duuno, it seems they're good at pissing off writers.;)

18. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I think that's more Didio than anyone else. The lesser editors are more or less just people in charge of enacting Didio's vision.

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

If the guy is a professional, just like everyone else...

20. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know how it is these days but back in the Bryne era Mike Carlin was heard to grouse he was editor in name only of the Superman titles. I suspect that Johns and Morrie (among others) get similar treatment these days.